Really lacking focus when taking practice exams, help please

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
OlegPerry97

New

Really lacking focus when taking practice exams, help please

Postby OlegPerry97 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:17 am

I'm trying to stick to a routine of taking a practice exam every other day but I stray from that routine easily and I think it hurts my scores. When I'm locked in and focused I get around a 172 and only miss 2-3 each LR section, but when I take exams without really focusing in my scores drop to the mid 150's and will miss around 8-10 each LR section. Any advice on this? I'm considering popping an adderall before a practice exam and seeing if that helps me any.

Gold

Re: Really lacking focus when taking practice exams, help please

Postby 20170322 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:31 am

OlegPerry97 wrote:I'm trying to stick to a routine of taking a practice exam every other day but I stray from that routine easily and I think it hurts my scores. When I'm locked in and focused I get around a 172 and only miss 2-3 each LR section, but when I take exams without really focusing in my scores drop to the mid 150's and will miss around 8-10 each LR section. Any advice on this? I'm considering popping an adderall before a practice exam and seeing if that helps me any.

I think 1 every other day is a bit excessive, especially this far out. If you're capable of a 172 then you should be drilling your problem areas in order to make your scores more consistent. Focus on being healthy and scheduled, and your scores will start to even out.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:31 am

I usually take one practice test one day. I recommend using the 7sage LSAT app, so you can strictly follow the timing of the test. And I usually try to pretend that it is the real thing, so I can get as realistic a score as possible.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:08 pm

SweetTort wrote:
OlegPerry97 wrote:I'm trying to stick to a routine of taking a practice exam every other day but I stray from that routine easily and I think it hurts my scores. When I'm locked in and focused I get around a 172 and only miss 2-3 each LR section, but when I take exams without really focusing in my scores drop to the mid 150's and will miss around 8-10 each LR section. Any advice on this? I'm considering popping an adderall before a practice exam and seeing if that helps me any.

I think 1 every other day is a bit excessive, especially this far out. If you're capable of a 172 then you should be drilling your problem areas in order to make your scores more consistent. Focus on being healthy and scheduled, and your scores will start to even out.

Yeah man sounds like you're burning out. Going from 170s to 150s because of focus is certainly possible, but that's a big discrepancy. Do you have ADD? If so, Adderall may be something you need to focus. Otherwise, SweetTort is correct! Beware of burnout. Much better to focus on 2-3 practice tests a week and carefully review and drill problem areas.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Basically what Barack and Sweet said. It may be burnout, and yes burnout is very very real lol. Take at least a week off from the LSAT and go back to it, this seemed to help me when I was burning out on logic games.

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:22 pm

I agree, sounds like burnout. Careful with Adderall if you don't have ADHD/haven't been taking it regularly. My friend was getting top practice score grades on her MCAT and took an adderall for the exam thinking it would help. Her heart rate was through the roof and she couldn't focus for shit. Then if you took it to practice but don't plan on taking it for the actual LSAT, there isn't much of a point there. I agree with the others, take some time off to rest and do something else entirely, then go back to it after a few days.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Take it easy, and slow down that routine. Taking preptests that often really isn't necessary, especially since you have several months until September. At this stage, it might feel like taking full PTs is the only way to get better, but that's not true. You're experiencing serious fatigue, and if you keep it up, will get burned out for longer stretches of time. Take preptests less often, and do sections or do timed drills on other days to get some practice in.

You can try the adderall if you want, but drugs like those generally lead to longer, more intense bouts of exhaustion than what you'll normally get. And those intense bursts of mental activity aren't always good - you may find it overwhelming or harder to concentrate for 4 hours. So in your specific case, I'd advise that you try and take it easier - get more rest, do some exercise, and practice mindful meditation for a few minutes per day.

footballlax55

New

Postby footballlax55 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:03 pm

If you think you do have ADD, get diagnosed and then get a prescription. That way you'll be able to take addy/vynase/ritalin etc more safely and more regularly. And they can make a huge different if you do have ADD. And at the same time you can try other behavioral therapy etc. to help with focusing as well.
If you don't have ADD, then be careful. Meds won't help you as much but will usually bring the same downsides, which usually means fucked up sleep patterns, feeling zombie-like/ out of body and really cloudy which can hurt on the test, getting too focused on the questions/ reading passages which can eat up valuable time, messed up appetite, being really on and focused and then crashing horribly when it wears off and feeling crappy and tired and irritable. And because it lasts for x amount of time, you need to plan your whole day around when you're going to take your meds and study or else it wont work because you can't take it too late in the day if you want to fall asleep before 5am.
But as I said, if you have ADD, meds can be a godsend. So if you think you do, get tested for it. If not, there's not really a magic pill so you'll need to kinda brute force yourself into focusing.

Stardust84

New

Postby Stardust84 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:44 pm

Sounds like burnout.

potus

Bronze

Postby potus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:21 am

I'd switch to a prep test once a week and do section prep/reviews on weekdays. You should not force yourself to prep with PTs using pills.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�