How to study for September LSAT Working Full Time

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Persianlsnyc

New

How to study for September LSAT Working Full Time

Postby Persianlsnyc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:50 am

Post deleted
Last edited by Persianlsnyc on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: How to study for September LSAT Working Full Time

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:59 am

Persianlsnyc wrote:I have a job in finance from 8-7 that I absolutely cannot quit for financial reasons.
I really think I have a good shot at getting into a good school as long as I put time towards studying.
My Initial PT was a 162, I'm shooting for a 170+ and I have a 4.0 GPA. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to manage a work schedule while trying to get a good score. I'm taking a blueprint class starting next week and plan to study 4 hours a day on the weekdays and 10 hours a day on weekends. Is that sufficient, or should I aim for the December test? Would this schedule make me go crazy, or is it doable?

Thank you!

First, Congrats on your perfect GPA. Is that LSAC calculated?

I think that's a great plan. With a 4.0 gpa the world is your oyster. Aim for a 175+ and get Yale or Stanford with $$$. You want a great LSAT to match your GPA.

I think 4 hours a day is good and with 10 on the weekends you should be more than good time wise. It isn't about just about sheer hours, while important, they are necessary, but not sufficient for success. (very bad LSAT joke) But it is true. I think a course will give you good structure and blueprint is one of the better ones, so good choice there. Get some good prep materials, and follow one of the great study plans here on the TLS forum. Your diagnostic score is also really good, so I don't think getting 10+ points will be possible. It will take you putting in the hours, but it's a great place to be starting.

I also work and here is what I aim for daily:

M-F

6am get up and go for a run and shower, get ready, etc.

7am Study for 2 hours.

9am-7pm work

Then I try to get another 1.5- 2 hours in sometime before I go to bed. This could be from 9-11pm or 12-2am

On Saturday I try to put in ~8 hours. Sundays I take it easy, lest I burn myself out. I usually blind review what I did Saturday.

I think you'll be good to score a 170+ in September. but absolutely wait to retake in December if you don't score where you should be. Especially with a 4.0. I am planning on retaking in December if my LSAT is not 170+ as well.

HTH
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:05 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Postby BirdLawExpert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 pm

I was working full-time when I began studying. PT'd 160 on my first test, and studied for about ten weeks prior to the LSAT, so I think we're pretty similar here. I'll just give you the tl;dr version of what you need to do.

1. 7Sage is a godsend. Pick up where you left off and you can watch videos at double speed for time-saving if you pick anything up quickly. It's also significantly cheaper than a tutor or a classroom course.
2. Tell your friends you're going to be in a cave until September. Weekends are for studying. Stop drinking if you do, alcohol affects knowledge acquisition and retention.
3. Work out daily if you don't. This can be as simple as a jog around the block, but you need to do something physical otherwise the amount of studying and working you're going to be doing will fuck with your brain.
4. Relax. It's tough, but worth it. You're investing in yourself and with a work background and your GPA a 170+ score puts you in contention for literally any school. You're in a phenomenal position.

I did all of that and I ended up with a 174 on ten weeks of studying. You'll do great.

Nik9639

New

Postby Nik9639 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:16 pm

Removed.
Last edited by Nik9639 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Persianlsnyc wrote:I have a job in finance from 8-7 that I absolutely cannot quit for financial reasons.
I really think I have a good shot at getting into a good school as long as I put time towards studying.
My Initial PT was a 162, I'm shooting for a 170+ and I have a 4.0 GPA. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to manage a work schedule while trying to get a good score. I'm taking a blueprint class starting next week and plan to study 4 hours a day on the weekdays and 10 hours a day on weekends. Is that sufficient, or should I aim for the December test? Would this schedule make me go crazy, or is it doable?

Thank you!

I think that study schedule sounds a bit too intense considering that you're also working ~10 hours a day. If you're doing 4 hours/weekday then you'll be literally just at work and doing LSAT for every waking hour, which doesn't sound sustainable to me, or ideal for learning and retaining information. I think something more like 2 or 2.5 hours per weekday is more feasible and still plenty. And for weekends, studying effectively for something like 4-6 hours is probably more efficient than cranking out 10 hours.

The Blueprint course will structure your progression, and that's going to be very useful considering that you have to work full-time. The classes are twice a week and 4 hours each. The homework for each lesson is sizable and will probably take you 3+ hours to complete each one. I'd prioritize staying on top of those assignments, and in your extra time, reviewing the concepts and getting more practice in the question types that you have just learned. Building strong fundamentals is key to doing well - don't feel like you need to rush into doing practice tests.

Consistency is key, so just be sure to get daily practice. And the first 4 classes of the Blueprint course are full of important fundamentals that you need to master, so be ready to hit the course running and put the work in to learn those concepts. Other than that, good luck. Your diagnostic score is very good, so don't stress out too much and just trust in your schedule.

tasteofcherry

New

Postby tasteofcherry » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:06 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:3. Work out daily if you don't. This can be as simple as a jog around the block, but you need to do something physical otherwise the amount of studying and working you're going to be doing will fuck with your brain..

I need to adhere to this.

I'm also working full time and man it can be tough but you have to squeeze the hours in where you can get them. Do you usually go to a library/cafe/etc to study? Being able to study in an office environment can sometimes help, opposed to going home to study. The days I work from an office. I take a walk after my shift and grab some food. After that I stay at my desk and study until closing time. After which I grab some coffee and go home and work on it a bit more.

Persianlsnyc

New

Postby Persianlsnyc » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 am

Thank you all for the advice! This is making it very much seem doable. I guess browsing through these forums had me a little intimidated because everyone seems so focused and on top of it.
If anyone is in the NYC area btw I would love a study partner...

lgsb2014

New

Postby lgsb2014 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:20 am

I'm also working full time.
Sadly, my numbers aren't as strong as yours.
I work M-F from 8:30AM- 5PM. I get crazy busy, since it's only the attorney and myself.
I get home at about 6PM. It's my second week studying for the LSAT but so far on the days I don't have LSAT class, I come home, eat dinner quickly, and head to the library from about 6:30- 9pm. I get home, shower, review a little bit more and head to bed at about 12AM/1AM and wake up at 6AM. I'm still trying to find a good schedule because I wake up tired :(.

t-14orbust

Gold

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:38 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Aim for a 175+ and get Yale or Stanford with $$$.

HTH

HYS do not give out merit aid.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 am

t-14orbust wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Aim for a 175+ and get Yale or Stanford with $$$.

HTH

HYS do not give out merit aid.

Thanks t-14. True indeed. In any case, still aim for a 175+ and have a good shot at HYS, op.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potus

Bronze

Postby potus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 am

lgsb2014 wrote:I'm also working full time.
Sadly, my numbers aren't as strong as yours.
I work M-F from 8:30AM- 5PM. I get crazy busy, since it's only the attorney and myself.
I get home at about 6PM. It's my second week studying for the LSAT but so far on the days I don't have LSAT class, I come home, eat dinner quickly, and head to the library from about 6:30- 9pm. I get home, shower, review a little bit more and head to bed at about 12AM/1AM and wake up at 6AM. I'm still trying to find a good schedule because I wake up tired :(.

The hours you're putting in the library are sufficient. If you take out reviewing a little before bed, you can get an extra hour of sleep. It's very important not to burn yourself out before the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�