Anyone Else Not a Fan of PowerScore LGB?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
180orDie

New

Anyone Else Not a Fan of PowerScore LGB?

Postby 180orDie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:38 pm

I hear this is the crème de la crème of Logic Games study materials, but to me it just over-complicates things. Consequently, I am trying to avoid it on my journey to master the Logic Games, but is that even possible? Reading this forum, it seems as though it is almost essential.

Gold

Re: Anyone Else Not a Fan of PowerScore LGB?

Postby 20170322 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Likely, what you see as "overcomplicating" is simply systematic. So, while you may be able to get a question right off of intuition, using a system ensures you will get it right 100% of the time.

But at the end of the day, you have to find a strategy that works and stick with it, so you do you.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:11 pm

You don't need to follow the Powerscore LGB route in order to do well on the section. Personally, all I did was watch 7sage videos and I learned by the way JY did different games.

josh9308

New

Postby josh9308 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:52 pm

TheMikey wrote:You don't need to follow the Powerscore LGB route in order to do well on the section. Personally, all I did was watch 7sage videos and I learned by the way JY did different games.

They're pretty close to each other. I prefer JY's sequencing and group games. Yeah, I guess I pretty much prefer JY to PS, but PS provides a very solid base for LG.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:04 am

josh9308 wrote:
TheMikey wrote:You don't need to follow the Powerscore LGB route in order to do well on the section. Personally, all I did was watch 7sage videos and I learned by the way JY did different games.

They're pretty close to each other. I prefer JY's sequencing and group games. Yeah, I guess I pretty much prefer JY to PS, but PS provides a very solid base for LG.

agreed the Bible kinda sucks for pure sequencing and grouping games imo.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:08 am

I am going through it now and find it helpful. It is giving me a systematic foundation which is nice. I've almost gotten though the simple ordering games and feel a bit better about them. I am hoping with this and Manhattan Prep LG I can get down to -2 a section before I move on to just practice testing.

What are thoughts on the Manhattan Prep Logic Games? I've heard some good things from Proteinshake and some other knowledgable posters. I hope it is able to build on the base the bible gives me.

I will couch my previous statement in I think it is light years better than some of the crap I used prior to this. When I began studying in May I wasted about 2.5 weeks with Kaplan/Princeton Review books and it just made me more confused. More so the PR.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stardust84

New

Postby Stardust84 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:51 am

I found the 7sage videos much more helpful than LGB. My process was doing a logic game, referring to the corresponding video to examine the 7sage process and compare it to mine, adjust my approach accordingly and repeat the game until I could do it perfectly and then move on to a new game. Doing this for a hundred games or so got me from around plus 10ish to most often perfect game section scores.

tasteofcherry

New

Postby tasteofcherry » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:39 am

When you first start LGB-- if you are anything like me, you're starting with NO background in Logic games. The bible can be overly detailed in describing how to set up the board and approach the games, so much so that it becomes confusing. LGB will first teach you sequencing games. Pay attention to the lessons but don't expect to be an expert right away. Every example/question that is in LGB, look up the corresponding video by 7sage on youtube (it's free). 7Sage explanations for sequencing games are going to help you. Everything will click and you'll quickly be able to use what you didn't know you learned through LGB, and make sense of it all.

LGB grouping is a little bit easier to understand after going through the fundamentals of sequencing and that chapter. 7Sage is key, in addition to LGB. I think the LGB has been more useful to me in respect to foundations than LRB.

somewhatferal

New

Postby somewhatferal » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:02 am

I find both the LGB and 7Sage's emphasis on diagramming everything to be unhelpful. Essentially, it feels to me like they're asking you to trade in your own analytical reasoning skills for the system. When I tried to use their diagramming methods, I spent all my time thinking about how to appropriately diagram everything instead of simply thinking through the problems. This wasted so much time.

I think the LGB can be helpful for getting some broad understanding of the different ways you can diagram games. Other than that, I have found that thinking through the problems without depending too much on a diagram has been more helpful and quicker. I usually finish LG sections with 5 minutes to spare (including the June 2016 LSAT).

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:I am going through it now and find it helpful. It is giving me a systematic foundation which is nice. I've almost gotten though the simple ordering games and feel a bit better about them. I am hoping with this and Manhattan Prep LG I can get down to -2 a section before I move on to just practice testing.

What are thoughts on the Manhattan Prep Logic Games? I've heard some good things from Proteinshake and some other knowledgable posters. I hope it is able to build on the base the bible gives me.

I will couch my previous statement in I think it is light years better than some of the crap I used prior to this. When I began studying in May I wasted about 2.5 weeks with Kaplan/Princeton Review books and it just made me more confused. More so the PR.

I purchased both LGB and Manhattan LG book. Completed the bible and found it pretty helpful as far as the foundations go. I will likely start the manhattan LG next week and see how they compare. 7sage is also a great resource.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:48 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:I am going through it now and find it helpful. It is giving me a systematic foundation which is nice. I've almost gotten though the simple ordering games and feel a bit better about them. I am hoping with this and Manhattan Prep LG I can get down to -2 a section before I move on to just practice testing.

I purchased both LGB and Manhattan LG book. Completed the bible and found it pretty helpful as far as the foundations go. I will likely start the manhattan LG next week and see how they compare. 7sage is also a great resource.

I actually just bought the entire Manhattan Prep set on friday night. Barnes and Noble had a good sale, plus I had some rewards to cash in towards them. I really hope they help me. Do you recommend I go through the entirety of the LG Bible/LR Bible first, then go through the entire MLSAT? Also, yes, 7Sage is amazing. The fact every LG video is free is amazing.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:I actually just bought the entire Manhattan Prep set on friday night. Barnes and Noble had a good sale, plus I had some rewards to cash in towards them. I really hope they help me. Do you recommend I go through the entirety of the LG Bible/LR Bible first, then go through the entire MLSAT? Also, yes, 7Sage is amazing. The fact every LG video is free is amazing.

I've heard great things about their LR book, I hope it helps you out. I've heard their RC book is good, but I don't think I've ever heard anything about their LG book, but hopefully you find it useful!

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:

I actually just bought the entire Manhattan Prep set on friday night. Barnes and Noble had a good sale, plus I had some rewards to cash in towards them. I really hope they help me. Do you recommend I go through the entirety of the LG Bible/LR Bible first, then go through the entire MLSAT? Also, yes, 7Sage is amazing. The fact every LG video is free is amazing.

I bought both the powerscore and manhattan prep series. I have focused mainly on powerscore for my first 3 weeks of studying. I will begin the MLG on Monday.

My approach has been to do LGB in its entirety, then LRB. Next I will do all of MLG then MLR. Lastly, I going to cover RCB. I did the MRC between LGB and LRB, since it was a small prep books in comparison to the others.

I am not expert but could see how either going through one company first then the other would be a great approach, or otherwise doubling down and doing both books from each subject.

In my opinion the the first two powerscore books are pretty good. MRC is mediocre, half the book is composed of drills, the other half is composed of mostly suggestion and tips with strategy and foundation woven in sparingly.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:55 pm

TheMikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:I actually just bought the entire Manhattan Prep set on friday night. Barnes and Noble had a good sale, plus I had some rewards to cash in towards them. I really hope they help me. Do you recommend I go through the entirety of the LG Bible/LR Bible first, then go through the entire MLSAT? Also, yes, 7Sage is amazing. The fact every LG video is free is amazing.

I've heard great things about their LR book, I hope it helps you out. I've heard their RC book is good, but I don't think I've ever heard anything about their LG book, but hopefully you find it useful!

Thanks Mikey! I have heard from a lot of people on this forum and a few friends that it's great and perhaps a little more geared towards those who already have somewhat of a foundation. That's why I think I am going to try to get through the LG bible first before I hit MLSAT LG. I hope it works out, I've researched and found out that the way MLSAT sets up certain games types are better. Some people prefer how the Bible does it, but lately I've been hearing a lot of fuss about MLSAT. I have a lot of reading ahead of me to get through all the books, but I am hopeful that it will at least help get me into the 160s. That's my goal right now anyways.. :D
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
TheMikey wrote:

Thanks Mikey! I have heard from a lot of people on this forum and a few friends that it's great and perhaps a little more geared towards those who already have somewhat of a foundation. That's why I think I am going to try to get through the LG bible first before I hit MLSAT LG. I hope it works out, I've researched and found out that the way MLSAT sets up certain games types are better. Some people prefer how the Bible does it, but lately I've been hearing a lot of fuss about MLSAT. I have a lot of reading ahead of me to get through all the books, but I am hopeful that it will at least help get me into the 160s. That's my goal right now anyways.. :D

You'll get there bro, keep grinding!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?