Does anyone else always get more wrong on the first LR than the second?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Keilz

Gold

Does anyone else always get more wrong on the first LR than the second?

Postby Keilz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:17 pm

After like 1.5 years of studying and two days before my second time taking the test, I just realized this. My LR are always lopsided with one getting a majority wrong and the other getting 1-3 wrong, and usually the first LR section and the most wrong. Is this normal or something I need to try to solve in one day? :shock:

somethingElse

Gold

Re: Does anyone else always get more wrong on the first LR than the second?

Postby somethingElse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:24 pm

It just means you should prob do more LR problems as part of your warmup.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:24 pm

I also realized that on the difficult one I obviously run out of time, but on the easy one I have minutes left! Very common occurrence that for some reason I figured was normal but am realizing maybe not everyone has this happen?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:25 pm

somethingElse wrote:It just means you should prob do more LR problems as part of your warmup.

so this doesn't normally happen to you?

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Postby TheRealSantaClaus » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

somethingElse

Gold

Postby somethingElse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Correct!

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:30 pm

TheRealSantaClaus wrote:I had this same problem back when I was taking the LSAT. It can be helpful to warm up with some easy and familiar problems before you start, if you're not doing so already.

Also, get yourself mentally focused and psyched up. Whether it's caffeine, pushups, bashing your head on the wall (disclaimer: don't do this), do what you gotta do to be ready as soon as the clock starts.

-former high scorer who missed like 4-5 wrong on my first section for still being half asleep.

Thanks. I'm concerned because I did focus on starting the test and now in ready to go at the drop of a hat, and I rarely ever get any in the first ten wrong, it just seems to happen like toward the middle or end of the first time LR is in the test! Doesn't happen with RC, and here haven't been anoufh LG first sections to have some conclusive data

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:32 pm

This actually happened to me too--I think (I may be wrong) that one LR section is usually more difficult than the other which is probably why that happens. It might mean that you should study questions that are more difficult if you're trying to increase your score.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:57 pm

TheRealSantaClaus wrote:I had this same problem back when I was taking the LSAT. It can be helpful to warm up with some easy and familiar problems before you start, if you're not doing so already.

Also, get yourself mentally focused and psyched up. Whether it's caffeine, pushups, bashing your head on the wall (disclaimer: don't do this), do what you gotta do to be ready as soon as the clock starts.

-former high scorer who missed like 4-5 wrong on my first section for still being half asleep.

So much this. I always do a set of 10-15 push ups before I take my practice sections and as silly as it may sound, I always feel like I am way more focused and psyched up.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:57 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:

So much this. I always do a set of 10-15 push ups before I take my practice sections and as silly as it may sound, I always feel like I am way more focused and psyched up.

This definitely works! My roommates used to laugh at me at how hyped I would get before I would go to take an exam. I listen to music, do pushups and just get myself excited, relaxed, and confident. You can know everything you need to know, but if you are not alert, focused, and feeling good you will perform poorly.

I warmup before I even start just studying by reading a few pages out of a book or a sudoku puzzle. Doing a few problems before you take the PT will help

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:05 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

This definitely works! My roommates used to laugh at me at how hyped I would get before I would go to take an exam. I listen to music, do pushups and just get myself excited, relaxed, and confident. You can know everything you need to know, but if you are not alert, focused, and feeling good you will perform poorly.

I warmup before I even start just studying by reading a few pages out of a book or a sudoku puzzle. Doing a few problems before you take the PT will help

The difference in my reading speed/focus alone is incredible. Truly has been the difference of a few points on several sections for me. Gotta get in the zone haha :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:44 pm

TheRealSantaClaus wrote:bashing your head on the wall (disclaimer: don't do this)

Screw the disclaimer, I'm doing this.

RZ5646

Gold

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Also get used to waking up early and taking PTs in the morning! IIRC, about half of the mistakes on my official test came from my first section, and I think it was mostly because I struggled to switch from sleep mode to LSAT mode.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:14 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

I'm the opposite. I do better when I act like a PT is no big deal. If I get pumped I'll psych myself out.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:29 pm

proteinshake wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

I'm the opposite. I do better when I act like a PT is no big deal. If I get pumped I'll psych myself out.

My best test was after leaving work stressed out because I was leaving a lot of things unfinished to get to the library, in my work clothes on a hot day after eating one too many chicken selects from McDonald's. Felt like crap but got a 175 lol

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Postby TheRealSantaClaus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:34 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:47 pm

proteinshake wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Yeah- for me this helps me get relaxed. By hyping up, i try to not think too hard about things like "Wow if I fuck up this LSAT, Im not getting into Law School." I make it seem like no big deal and recognize that I am prepared to crush it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�