How many hours must one study to get a 180? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Res publica

New

How many hours must one study to get a 180?

Post by Res publica » Thu May 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi, I am new to TLS forums. I apologize if this question has already been asked, as I am sure it has many times, but how many hours does it require to come close to scoring a 180 with decent probability that you will receive that score? I know that every test taker is different and that we all have different methods that are faster/slower etc., however a concrete numerical answer would be greatly appreciated. I had an initial goal of 1000 hours.

Second question, I don't have an internship this summer (currently an incoming junior) so I have been spending roughly 5-6 hours a day (5 days a week) at my local library of intense LSAT study. I intend to take the test in Fall of 2017, so that is really far away. I also fully intend to study during school, breaks, weekends, and next summer if I can, but I want to be sure that the information and skills I acquire this summer studying for the LSAT won't be worthless. Is prepping for the LSAT something that can be studied for well in advance? Or will I get the most out of prepping 2-3 months ahead of the exam instead?

Additional information:
-No tutoring/classes, 100% self-study
-Using 4 books : Kaplan LSAT Prep 2015, PowerScore LG Bible, PowerScore LR Bible, PowerScore RC Bible
-Expected GPA by end of undergrad: ~3.75

proteinshake

Gold

Re: How many hours must one study to get a 180?

Post by proteinshake » Thu May 26, 2016 10:53 pm

the fact that everyone is different means there is no number anyone can give you. you can study your whole life and still not manage close to a 180. others can get it after studying for just a few weeks. there is a necessary amount of studying that must be done, but there is not a sufficient amount. but I like the Cicero reference in your name.
Last edited by proteinshake on Thu May 26, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Thu May 26, 2016 10:57 pm

Based on what I've read, you are really *way* too far out to benefit from studying with that much intensity. Maybe try for an internship or maybe something that will help the same type of skills you will use...others may have suggestions for that. Maybe learning to code or a programming language will help you a bit with some logic skills. I'm just spitballing, but I haven't really seen anyone here ever indicate that you'll benefit from studying five hours a day over a year away from the test...

I dunno! Either way, there is no specific number as some will tell you. I don't think there's any way to guarantee a 180...

In summation, I would venture to suggest you work on underlying skills - perhaps even look at some basic LSAT stuff - but commit that five hours a day to something else. I just don't think it's a productive use of your time.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Res publica wrote:Hi, I am new to TLS forums. I apologize if this question has already been asked, as I am sure it has many times, but how many hours does it require to come close to scoring a 180 with decent probability that you will receive that score? I know that every test taker is different and that we all have different methods that are faster/slower etc., however a concrete numerical answer would be greatly appreciated. I had an initial goal of 1000 hours.

Second question, I don't have an internship this summer (currently an incoming junior) so I have been spending roughly 5-6 hours a day (5 days a week) at my local library of intense LSAT study. I intend to take the test in Fall of 2017, so that is really far away. I also fully intend to study during school, breaks, weekends, and next summer if I can, but I want to be sure that the information and skills I acquire this summer studying for the LSAT won't be worthless. Is prepping for the LSAT something that can be studied for well in advance? Or will I get the most out of prepping 2-3 months ahead of the exam instead?

Additional information:
-No tutoring/classes, 100% self-study
-Using 4 books : Kaplan LSAT Prep 2015, PowerScore LG Bible, PowerScore LR Bible, PowerScore RC Bible
-Expected GPA by end of undergrad: ~3.75
As proteinshake and 34iplaw have stated 1.) there is no concrete numerical guess. It is almost like asking how long does one have to study for an IQ test before they can be a genius? You address this in your OP by acknowledging these differences.
2.) There are much better things to do with your time for now. Ensuring you do well and raise your GPA is one of them. Internships to build your resume. Getting to know professors for LOR, etc.

5 hours a day will burn you out. If it doesn't then you will run out of materials and end up with nothing to study for the home stretch of your prep. You can always work on RC by the Economist and WSJ.

If you want a 180, part of that is going to be natural ability and some will be studying smart. I would give yourself 4-6 months of intense prep with not much else going on.

Good luck!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Thu May 26, 2016 11:27 pm

Scored a 180 a couple years ago. I spent probably ~200-300 hours in total. Cold score was in the high 160s - it was largely an issue of mastering the logic games.

Studying 5 hours a day will ruin you, though. What worked for me was taking lots of practice tests *only after* I'd slowly worked my way through the logic games bible and drilled the fundamentals.

And even then, you can't really control for the one or two weird questions that might throw you. I'd say anywhere 176+ is a decently realistic goal - beyond that it really is a bit of luck.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Last edited by Vursz on Thu May 26, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Res publica

New

Post by Res publica » Thu May 26, 2016 11:29 pm

But do you think studying that much will provide little to no benefit for the LSAT exam? I've always had the understanding that true mastery can come from throwing tons and tons of hours at something, as long as you are willing to do it. But maybe I am over-killing it :p And believe me, if I could get an internship I'd totally do that instead over this. Also, I'm taking summer class to boost GPA.

I'm just asking for the minimum. I'm not asking, "how many hours do I need to get a 180," rather "On average, people who got 180s put in a minimum of x hours." Sorry I think I made it confusing

Thanks for all the support!

izha

New

Post by izha » Fri May 27, 2016 1:48 am

Res publica wrote:But do you think studying that much will provide little to no benefit for the LSAT exam? I've always had the understanding that true mastery can come from throwing tons and tons of hours at something, as long as you are willing to do it. But maybe I am over-killing it :p And believe me, if I could get an internship I'd totally do that instead over this. Also, I'm taking summer class to boost GPA.

I'm just asking for the minimum. I'm not asking, "how many hours do I need to get a 180," rather "On average, people who got 180s put in a minimum of x hours." Sorry I think I made it confusing

Thanks for all the support!
It's quite possible that people who got 180 put no more hours than those who got 165.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 27, 2016 2:09 am

It's different for everyone.. Not that it's a bad thing to have a total hours goal, but instead of that you should just go with the flow and learn the material. The hours will rack up on its own. You may exceed your goal hours or have way below it, it just all depends on how you feel at certain points in your prep.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:48 am

Res publica wrote: -Expected GPA by end of undergrad: ~3.75
This is the key part of your post. Time is a super valuable commodity... and your time would ABSOLUTELY be best spent getting your GPA up as much as you can. As someone who slacked off and only ended up w/ a 3.3, my single biggest regret of college was not having a higher GPA (and it made my life wayyyyy more difficult in applying to schools.) If you were able to study more and get that expected GPA up to a 3.8 or a 3.9, that's a big deal.

Don't you worry, the LSAT will be waiting for you after undergrad, and you'll be free to spend 100000000 hours (or however many hours you want) studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arock111

New

Post by arock111 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:41 am

gsy987 wrote:
This is the key part of your post. Time is a super valuable commodity... and your time would ABSOLUTELY be best spent getting your GPA up as much as you can. As someone who slacked off and only ended up w/ a 3.3, my single biggest regret of college was not having a higher GPA (and it made my life wayyyyy more difficult in applying to schools.) If you were able to study more and get that expected GPA up to a 3.8 or a 3.9, that's a big deal.

Don't you worry, the LSAT will be waiting for you after undergrad, and you'll be free to spend 100000000 hours (or however many hours you want) studying.
TCR. If my GPA was higher, I wouldn't have been a "splitter" and ended up where I am (I love my school but im just sayin, fam)

GPA is the concern until a few months out from the exam. I went from a 155 to a 173 in like 4 months of half-assed studying

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:42 am

Protip for copping a 180 - use more discretion when throwing around the word "must"

raven1231

Bronze

Post by raven1231 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:16 am

I took the test dry with no prep and scored a 180. So zero hours man.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:42 am

raven1231 wrote:I took the test dry with no prep and scored a 180. So zero hours man.
Ugh I hate you so much. I don't even care if you're joking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:57 am

That's kind of like asking how long must one practice in order to run a five minute mile. Some people could do it very easily. Other people will never be able to.

And just because you're able to doesn't mean you will come test day. I had 3 180 PTs. Scored way lower on test day. Shit happens.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Fri May 27, 2016 11:05 am

180 hours studying = 180 score, simple as that.

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Fri May 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I've been studying for 3 years and still averaging upper 160s. Hours don't matter at all, but really it's about how you study.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Res publica

New

Post by Res publica » Fri May 27, 2016 3:31 pm

raven1231 wrote:I took the test dry with no prep and scored a 180. So zero hours man.
that's impressive.

Res publica

New

Post by Res publica » Fri May 27, 2016 3:36 pm

gsy987 wrote:

Any tips how to get GPA up? Also, would law schools understand that my GPA is slightly lower for top schools because of a Finance and Economics double major? I initially had it because I like both and tend to do well in both, but if it's only going to hurt my chances of getting into law school maybe I should choose one. Thoughts?

fishpaste1

Bronze

Post by fishpaste1 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:25 pm

69 hours. no more, no less.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 27, 2016 5:23 pm

fishpaste1 wrote:69 hours.
+180

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:14 am

Res publica wrote: Any tips how to get GPA up? Also, would law schools understand that my GPA is slightly lower for top schools because of a Finance and Economics double major? I initially had it because I like both and tend to do well in both, but if it's only going to hurt my chances of getting into law school maybe I should choose one. Thoughts?
1. Schools will not care about major for the most part (some schools claim to care about median GPA for a major/school...but that's probably bullshit.)
2. If it's easier for you to only deal with one major, I'd do that. I was a double-major in undergrad, and it mattered about .00001% in applying to law schools.
3. My number 1 tip to getting your GPA up? Take easy classes.

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Sat May 28, 2016 3:39 am

Last edited by oliverotis on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 am

gsy987 wrote:

Yeah... this pretty much. I ended up with a 3.41 [which I thought was fine from my university], and I'm literally shocked at how high median UGPA for law school is. Then again, I didn't go to undergrad with the intent to go to law school. If I had a 3.7-3.8 [which is what I ended up with the two years I took absolutely crazy loaded schedules], I'd probably be able to get into T14 law programs with a 165-168 which would be very doable for me. Now I need a 170 for the lower and a 174+ for a shot at places like Columbia.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”