How to be a normal person? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RamTitan

Silver

How to be a normal person?

Post by RamTitan » Sat May 07, 2016 1:56 pm

The LSAT has taken over my life, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's an important test that dictates my future to a large degree. On the other, I feel like I've laid a mental trap for myself.

The only activities I do besides study are read, go for walks, and lift weights; otherwise, I'm sitting and thinking about the test. I forgo social activities (like my high school's 5th reunion) because they are a distraction. I'm normally a social person, so this behavior disturbs me. But there's always the flipside, as these kinds of activities are distracting for me! For example, I had lunch with an old friend the other day, and couldn't take a practice test afterwards....I have to be in a certain mental state to attack these tests, and it's all consuming.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking....I guess I'm wondering if it is okay to be this way for the next month? Should I be feeling guilty for ignoring friends and being stressed to the max, or is this only the beginning of an extremely stress filled lifestyle?

And of course, how does this affect my performance on the test? Like I've said, I've found the things I perceive to be distractions tend to end up actually being distractions, but then I'm also burnt out and stressed when only living in the world of scan-trons and stimuli.

Gold

Re: How to be a normal person?

Post by 20170322 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Just make boundaries. Set times of the day when you will study, and use the other times to hang out with friends who aren't taking the LSAT. Obsessing isn't healthy, and it's probably not good for your score.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:05 pm

RamTitan wrote:The LSAT has taken over my life, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's an important test that dictates my future to a large degree. On the other, I feel like I've laid a mental trap for myself.

The only activities I do besides study are read, go for walks, and lift weights; otherwise, I'm sitting and thinking about the test. I forgo social activities (like my high school's 5th reunion) because they are a distraction. I'm normally a social person, so this behavior disturbs me. But there's always the flipside, as these kinds of activities are distracting for me! For example, I had lunch with an old friend the other day, and couldn't take a practice test afterwards....I have to be in a certain mental state to attack these tests, and it's all consuming.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking....I guess I'm wondering if it is okay to be this way for the next month? Should I be feeling guilty for ignoring friends and being stressed to the max, or is this only the beginning of an extremely stress filled lifestyle?

And of course, how does this affect my performance on the test? Like I've said, I've found the things I perceive to be distractions tend to end up actually being distractions, but then I'm also burnt out and stressed when only living in the world of scan-trons and stimuli.
I basically lost all contact with friends for that last month. I worked and was taking UG classes when I studied for it so I had to decide between friends or the LSAT and trust me if you have good friends they won't blame you for choosing the LSAT for a month. When you buckle down and do well and acceptances start coming back with $$$$ offers it will all be worth it. Hang in there!

Good luck!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sat May 07, 2016 2:06 pm

I think making this thread made me realize that I use the LSAT as an excuse to not do things I don't want to do.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sat May 07, 2016 2:07 pm

SweetTort wrote:Just make boundaries. Set times of the day when you will study, and use the other times to hang out with friends who aren't taking the LSAT. Obsessing isn't healthy, and it's probably not good for your score.
I've become a pretty boring person; it's really the only thing I think about. Perhaps I'll start writing again to divert my attention

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sat May 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:The LSAT has taken over my life, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's an important test that dictates my future to a large degree. On the other, I feel like I've laid a mental trap for myself.

I basically lost all contact with friends for that last month. I worked and was taking UG classes when I studied for it so I had to decide between friends or the LSAT and trust me if you have good friends they won't blame you for choosing the LSAT for a month. When you buckle down and do well and acceptances start coming back with $$$$ offers it will all be worth it. Hang in there!

Good luck!
Thanks for your perspective; I need to stop letting my fears and neuroticism get the best of me

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat May 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Hey Ram, I have been the same way for the past month or so (Taking the test in September)

I have missed an important birthday of a friend, had to cancel plans on Friday nights (to get up early to study) I understand how shitty it can be. Besides studying all I've been doing is going on TLS and reading shit to keep my brain fresh. However I try to set boundaries and say after 10pm I am done for the night. This helps me to stay focused knowing that after a certain time I'll be done and can do what I enjoy.

I know that any one who knows me also knows how important this test is for me and my future. So, that said, if they choose to hold it against me I know they aren't good friends. Cliche, yes. True, absolutely.

I would definitely say that you need to make sure the LSAT doesn't consume your life. You don't want to burn out especially this soon before the test. I have heard of people taking a day or two off and then coming back with fresh perspectives and a fresh mind, full of energy, and ready to go!

all i know is that I will never be "normal" but it doesn't mean I should forgo my mental and physical health obsessing on a test. It seems like you have some other activities beyond the test. But being social is also important, so set some time aside weekly to go see a movie, or hang with friends, etc. Just make sure you study plenty during the day so as not to feel guilty to like you neglected the test. It is nice to also set something social as a reward for a good session of studying.

Good luck!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon May 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:Hey Ram, I have been the same way for the past month or so (Taking the test in September)

I have missed an important birthday of a friend, had to cancel plans on Friday nights (to get up early to study) I understand how shitty it can be. Besides studying all I've been doing is going on TLS and reading shit to keep my brain fresh. However I try to set boundaries and say after 10pm I am done for the night. This helps me to stay focused knowing that after a certain time I'll be done and can do what I enjoy.

I know that any one who knows me also knows how important this test is for me and my future. So, that said, if they choose to hold it against me I know they aren't good friends. Cliche, yes. True, absolutely.

I would definitely say that you need to make sure the LSAT doesn't consume your life. You don't want to burn out especially this soon before the test. I have heard of people taking a day or two off and then coming back with fresh perspectives and a fresh mind, full of energy, and ready to go!

all i know is that I will never be "normal" but it doesn't mean I should forgo my mental and physical health obsessing on a test. It seems like you have some other activities beyond the test. But being social is also important, so set some time aside weekly to go see a movie, or hang with friends, etc. Just make sure you study plenty during the day so as not to feel guilty to like you neglected the test. It is nice to also set something social as a reward for a good session of studying.

Good luck!
Thanks mate; I'm feeling substantially better now than I was this weekend. The taking the 1-2 days off is definitely a true sentiment! It's helped me in the past.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:Hey Ram, I have been the same way for the past month or so (Taking the test in September)

Good luck!
Thanks mate; I'm feeling substantially better now than I was this weekend. The taking the 1-2 days off is definitely a true sentiment! It's helped me in the past.

Glad to hear you're doing a least a little better bud! This whole things sucks, but man it is going to feel good to get that good LSAT score back :lol: I guess if we want to be attorneys, this is the price we pay.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burlington4174

New

Post by Burlington4174 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:07 pm

I would add that what you are experiencing now is not that different from what life is like at law school (at least 1L) and then also not all that different from working at a BigLaw Firm. You are almost always going to be busy and there is always more work you can do, and that is probably going to be the case for nearly your entire legal career, whether you are in BigLaw or not. In turn, it is important that you figure out ways to balance your work and the rest of your life early on, starting with the LSAT. Personally, I have struggled to do so thus far, even after having taken the LSAT, worked at a BigLaw firm as a legal assistant for two years, and finished one year of law school. Hoping to someday soon because it has a negative impact on my health and relationships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”