PR 36 Section 1 Question 26 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
New_Spice180

Bronze

PR 36 Section 1 Question 26

Post by New_Spice180 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:46 am

Hey all,

I'm drilling my Logical Reasoning packets and I came across this sufficient assumption question, which was slightly confusing to crack. I was wondering if anyone could demonstrate the proper way of breaking down and finding the assumption in this question. My problem was that they structured the answer choice in conditional format (the contrapositive nonetheless).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

StopLawying

Silver

Re: PR 36 Section 1 Question 26

Post by StopLawying » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:40 am

Best way to deal with these questions is to isolate the premise and conclusion. Once you cut through all the nonsense you get: expensive THEREFORE no lack of props. But the argument never established a connection between the two, hence why we need to make an assumption.
Choices B,C, and D can be eliminated all at once since they don't contain expensive. We must establish the link above for the argument to work and none of those do that. (A) contains expensive but links to borrowing, huh?

So we are left with (E) and as you said in your post this is the contrapositive: lack of props therefore not expensive. Flip this and you get expensive THEREFORE no lack of props, exactly the connection we needed. Hope this helps.

New_Spice180

Bronze

Re: PR 36 Section 1 Question 26

Post by New_Spice180 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:09 am

StopLawying wrote:Best way to deal with these questions is to isolate the premise and conclusion. Once you cut through all the nonsense you get: expensive THEREFORE no lack of props. But the argument never established a connection between the two, hence why we need to make an assumption.
Choices B,C, and D can be eliminated all at once since they don't contain expensive. We must establish the link above for the argument to work and none of those do that. (A) contains expensive but links to borrowing, huh?

So we are left with (E) and as you said in your post this is the contrapositive: lack of props therefore not expensive. Flip this and you get expensive THEREFORE no lack of props, exactly the connection we needed. Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks for the explanation! I have an additional question however, I'm assuming we're looking for an answer choice that term shift and that is the reason why we need to account for the term "expensive." Furthermore, would it have been necessary to pre-phase potential answer choices in conditional terms, and if so when is it best to do so?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”