PowerScore test prep program

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hinton2014

New

PowerScore test prep program

Postby hinton2014 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:56 pm

Has anyone here used the PowerScore test prep program? I'm taking the test in September, but might try the 4 month program, and then use my last month to drill and PT. Thoughts?

mackoftexas

New

Re: PowerScore test prep program

Postby mackoftexas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:32 pm

What's your diagnostic and how long have you been studying? Most people on this forum will need more information to appraise your situation.

My diagnostic was a 152, I had studied for two months before I went into the PowerScore program and went into it with a 162 average. Afterwards I had studied for another month or two. After the class I was scoring in the 162-165 range, so not a drastic improvement. In between classes I was also studying. My official score was a 161, I took it in October of 2015. I believe that was more because of anxiety rather than a problem with the class.

1,100 to 1,300 dollars is nothing compared to the potential enslaving debt of law school tuition. I had a great teacher, however the class itself is not a magic bullet. One of the major benefits of the class is you get a set of three structured textbooks and four tests with experimental sections. In retrospect, I wish I had the study ethic I have now and applied it then so I wouldn't have to retake now.

For best results, in my opinion:
-I would suggest taking the class before you have any predetermined notions about the test, since all of the methods they have are solid. (Except how they don't define Justify questions as Sufficient Assumptions.)
-Do as much of the homework as you can if you take it. I probably didn't do enough of it and assumed the class by itself would be enough to push me above 165.
-Watch as many of the videos available on the site, as boring as they may be. The two founders of PowerScore are incredibly intelligent and truly understand the theory and structure of the test. Each one is 30-70 minutes long and there are at least two dozen if I remember correctly.

However, if you're anything like me, you might have a problem with fundamental understanding about the test and this might have something to do with how you learn. I have found the LSAT Trainer to be far more engaging and understandable than some of the more technical explanations on the videos. This is not to diminish the videos, only to show how different study methods apply to different people.

Should you take it? Yes, probably. If you can afford it and have the time, then you should. I definitely don't regret taking it, I only regret not drilling more.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�