When you should take an LSAT prep course

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ccmart

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 pm

When you should take an LSAT prep course

Postby ccmart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:42 am

I was reading the LSAT course sticky but found that the vast majority of threads revolved around the best prep course to take, rather than whether one should take a prep course at all.

I know this is subjective but I would like to hear some experiences about how others decided to take/not take a prep course and if they would change their decision. This is assuming that the cost of the course is not an obstacle. Personally I am considering taking a course because I'm not sure I have the discipline to do well purely through self-study. Thoughts?

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: When you should take an LSAT prep course

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:54 am

ccmart wrote:Thoughts?


Take a diagnostic. If you score a 180, don't take a prep course. If you score a 160+, you probably don't need a prep course.

ccmart

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: When you should take an LSAT prep course

Postby ccmart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:56 am

lymenheimer wrote:
ccmart wrote:Thoughts?


Take a diagnostic. If you score a 180, don't take a prep course. If you score a 160+, you probably don't need a prep course.


I scored a 157 diagnostic. So I probably need one?

User avatar
tflan19

Bronze
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: When you should take an LSAT prep course

Postby tflan19 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:01 pm

ccmart wrote:I was reading the LSAT course sticky but found that the vast majority of threads revolved around the best prep course to take, rather than whether one should take a prep course at all.

I know this is subjective but I would like to hear some experiences about how others decided to take/not take a prep course and if they would change their decision. This is assuming that the cost of the course is not an obstacle. Personally I am considering taking a course because I'm not sure I have the discipline to do well purely through self-study. Thoughts?


Background: Took a diagnostic test (164) and began studying in Oct 2014, took the test in Feb 2015 (178).

I didn't use a prep course and don't regret it at all. I was also worried about the discipline aspect but the LSAT Trainer has online study schedules that I used to keep me somewhat on pace. Also, it seems like LSAT studying is a good chance to learn some discipline since law school will require a lot of it.

A lot of my friends who took prep courses have said that they feel like the skills and methods that they teach "max out" at a certain point. It is better to develop the internal habits and tricks that work best for you, not what someone else teaches you to game the test. Also, f you need to retake, it is hard to unlearn the strategies that might not have worked so well for you the first time around.

I'd recommend taking an untimed diagnostic test before making a decision. If you score pretty well and think you can discipline yourself to some extent, self-study.

User avatar
tflan19

Bronze
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: When you should take an LSAT prep course

Postby tflan19 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 pm

ccmart wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
ccmart wrote:Thoughts?


Take a diagnostic. If you score a 180, don't take a prep course. If you score a 160+, you probably don't need a prep course.


I scored a 157 diagnostic. So I probably need one?


consider taking one untimed, it will be a better representation of your capabilities. Speed and timing skills can be learned!

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: When you should take an LSAT prep course

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 pm

ccmart wrote:I scored a 157 diagnostic. So I probably need one?


No. But with that assumption, you probably do need one (LSAT joke). You can definitely self-study to get a better score. What many people find is that prep courses are good for teaching you the basics and getting you to the 160s, and after that it's personal mastery.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: When you should take an LSAT prep course

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:05 pm

tflan19 wrote:
ccmart wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
ccmart wrote:Thoughts?


Take a diagnostic. If you score a 180, don't take a prep course. If you score a 160+, you probably don't need a prep course.


I scored a 157 diagnostic. So I probably need one?


consider taking one untimed, it will be a better representation of your capabilities. Speed and timing skills can be learned!


This is also a good comment. Now that you know where you are timed, figure out where your comprehension skills fall by taking it untimed. Then you can see if all you need to learn is timing. Which is much more practiced than course-learned.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests