Alcohol and the LSAT

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RamTitan

Silver

Alcohol and the LSAT

Postby RamTitan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:42 pm

So, is anyone else quitting (or considering quitting) alcohol for the LSAT? I was going to, as one night per week I drink 10-12 craft beers with a 6-8% ABV and thought it would be good for my sleep cycle and mental state. But I just broke through my plateau so I kind of don't want to stop anymore....

With that said, the advice I've read has been sparse and conflicted; some are in the camp that you shouldn't make changes to your habits while studying, and others say you should have at least two months off the sauce before the test to enhance your mental functioning.

What's the TLS forum verdict?

magnum_law

Bronze

Re: Alcohol and the LSAT

Postby magnum_law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Holy shit. I'm no lightweight (and love my IPAs) but that's a fuck ton of beer.

Either way, if you're doing well and it has no bearing on your score, then I suppose it's a non-issue (LSAT wise). Probably best to cut back to 3-4 though.
Last edited by magnum_law on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cdotson2

Silver

Postby cdotson2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:48 pm

RamTitan wrote:So, is anyone else quitting (or considering quitting) alcohol for the LSAT? I was going to, as one night per week I drink 10-12 craft beers with a 6-8% ABV and thought it would be good for my sleep cycle and mental state. But I just broke through my plateau so I kind of don't want to stop anymore....

With that said, the advice I've read has been sparse and conflicted; some are in the camp that you shouldn't make changes to your habits while studying, and others say you should have at least two months off the sauce before the test to enhance your mental functioning.

Drinking 10-12 beers in one sitting is unhealthy and you should probably cut back regardless of if it will help for the lsat.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Postby TheRealSantaClaus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

hairbear7

Silver

Postby hairbear7 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:53 pm

I took alcohol during the LSAT and did fine

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Postby Clyde Frog » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:55 pm

I never really drank a lot of alcohol during my studies but my bath salt usage was extremely high.

lurklaw

Silver

Postby lurklaw » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:56 pm

RamTitan wrote:So, is anyone else quitting (or considering quitting) alcohol for the LSAT? I was going to, as one night per week I drink 10-12 craft beers with a 6-8% ABV and thought it would be good for my sleep cycle and mental state. But I just broke through my plateau so I kind of don't want to stop anymore....

Just double your stims.

And to the pearl-clutchers ITT, 10-12 brews is a standard bro sesh, you puritan lightweight dweebs.

magnum_law

Bronze

Postby magnum_law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:59 pm

lurklaw wrote:

Just double your stims.

And to the pearl-clutchers ITT, 10-12 brews is a standard bro sesh, you puritan lightweight dweebs.

Yea of Natty Light not tripels
Last edited by magnum_law on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:03 pm

cdotson2 wrote:

Drinking 10-12 beers in one sitting is unhealthy and you should probably cut back regardless of if it will help for the lsat.

Uh, yeah, that's the other reason; drinking a lot of beer, even in one night, can fuck your weight up.

railyard

New

Postby railyard » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:04 pm

Couple Natty Ice never hurt anybody

pppp

New

Postby pppp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Last edited by pppp on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 pm

magnum_law wrote:Holy shit. I'm no lightweight (and love my IPAs) but that's a fuck ton of beer.

Either way, if you're doing well and it has no bearing on your score, then I suppose it's a non-issue (LSAT wise). Probably best to cut back to 3-4 though.

I am doing well, but I wonder if I can do better if I quit? That's obviously an impossible question for you to answer.

Doubting Law

Bronze

Postby Doubting Law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Why not switch to liquor? Much more efficient and it's less calorie intensive if you don't add a chaser/mixer.

Tempo

New

Postby Tempo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 pm

I cut back for the month before, and stopped drinking the week of.

Doubting Law

Bronze

Postby Doubting Law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 pm

RamTitan wrote:
magnum_law wrote:Holy shit. I'm no lightweight (and love my IPAs) but that's a fuck ton of beer.

I am doing well, but I wonder if I can do better if I quit? That's obviously an impossible question for you to answer.

If you seem to be doing fine while pounding IPA's once a week, I say stick with it.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Doubting Law wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

If you seem to be doing fine while pounding IPA's once a week, I say stick with it.

It definitely is a nice way to relieve stress, but I know it's unhealthy. With that said, even if I did quit for two months, I'd probably go back to it.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Doubting Law wrote:Why not switch to liquor? Much more efficient and it's less calorie intensive if you don't add a chaser/mixer.

I like liquor, but I can't deal with the horrific hangovers anymore

Helioze

Bronze

Postby Helioze » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:15 pm

I mean if you want optimal brain function you shouldn't ingest toxins that impair brain function.

Its not as big a deal as effectively studying.

I would not recommend the night you do your drinking be the night b4 a day you want to study as you want to be in a similar brain state to what you would be in on a test day.

Doubting Law

Bronze

Postby Doubting Law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:16 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Doubting Law wrote:Why not switch to liquor? Much more efficient and it's less calorie intensive if you don't add a chaser/mixer.

I like liquor, but I can't deal with the horrific hangovers anymore

IMO drinking 5 or 6 stiff liquor drinks would produce less of a hangover than 10-12 IPA's. But to each his own.

toomanymornings

New

Postby toomanymornings » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Yeah, 10-12 beers in a night is a habit you're gonna wanna change regardless of the LSAT. I used to do that too, and I feel much better now that I don't. I drink anywhere form 0-10 beers a week, so not suggesting you cut out alcohol together.

fliptrip

Gold

Postby fliptrip » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:29 pm

I stopped drinking and smoking pre-LSAT and found I had lots more energy and could concentrate a lot better. Those things poison the body! They are fun poisons, yes, (though my preferred poison be whiskey, not beer), but poisons nonetheless.

magnum_law

Bronze

Postby magnum_law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 pm

8)
Last edited by magnum_law on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doubting Law

Bronze

Postby Doubting Law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:54 pm

fliptrip wrote:I stopped drinking and smoking pre-LSAT and found I had lots more energy and could concentrate a lot better. Those things poison the body! They are fun poisons, yes, (though my preferred poison be whiskey, not beer), but poisons nonetheless.

Will quitting alcohol alleviate my acute senioritis?

fliptrip

Gold

Postby fliptrip » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:57 pm

Doubting Law wrote:
fliptrip wrote:I stopped drinking and smoking pre-LSAT and found I had lots more energy and could concentrate a lot better. Those things poison the body! They are fun poisons, yes, (though my preferred poison be whiskey, not beer), but poisons nonetheless.

Will quitting alcohol alleviate my acute senioritis?

No. It will exacerbate it. You'll be even more frustrated that you're having to keep grinding while life awaits you. But, what you should be doing is ENJOYING COLLEGE.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�