Review of the PowerScore LSAT Prep Course Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
David44357

New

Review of the PowerScore LSAT Prep Course

Post by David44357 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 pm

I am a 0L student recently admitted to UNC School of Law. This is a review of the LSAT prep course from PowerScore that I took earlier this year to prepare for the February LSAT. My score increased from 158 before the PowerScore class to 168. The result was that I got into the school I wanted and was awarded a scholarship that will give me a 30x ROI from the financial investment I made in the PowerScore course. This review is based on my own personal experiences and naturally different people have different experiences and preferences regarding LSAT preparation.

In my case I was hesitant to take a course at first, because most people online seemed to be advocating for self-study, said LSAT was the test you couldn't study for, etc. Like most students I am a cheapskate that is not eager to part with my money. I had skimmed books on the LSAT from the library, read online guides, watched YouTube videos from actual prep courses, and took practice tests, but my score was holding steady at 158 on two practice tests and the actual. This wasn't high enough to get into the school I wanted.

I signed up for the online-only version of the PowerScore prep course, because it was cheaper, more flexible from a scheduling perspective, and the sales rep said both online and in-person students have the same average increase in their LSAT score.

PowerScore's suite of services, resources and tools was really impressive. Every class is recorded and I ended up watching the recorded version about half the time. They send you a stack of books filled with drills, instruction and old LSAT tests. They have a forum where you can ask questions and get a prompt response, as well as a homework hotline. They have four practice tests (I wish they had more setup this way), where you can post your answers online and it will analyze your practice test, telling you which types of problems you are having a hard time with. About halfway through the class I knew all I really needed to study was the analytical reasoning section and "compare the reasoning" type questions from the logical reasoning section, so I only did those drills.

In my case my score was not improving through self-study, but did with PowerScore's resources. The result was getting admitted to the school I wanted and a scholarship for more than 30x what I paid for the course. I give them 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone trying to get into a highly-ranked school. However, do keep in mind that they only provide a suite of resources, which includes hundreds of pages of drills and instruction. Studying for the LSAT was like a full-time job!

I spent a lot of time researching different LSAT prep courses before picking PowerScore and figured I could save the next person some time. They are very well put-together and an excellent choice. Feel free to ping me with any questions and good luck!

MarkScott

New

Re: Review of the PowerScore LSAT Prep Course

Post by MarkScott » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 am

Thank You for this review.

I'm self studying until August then taking a Powerscore course. From reading reviews, it seems that based on the the trade off between time and money, many LSATers would rather self study and take their chances by themselves (online videos, test books and LSAC resources), which TOTALLY makes senses. Myself personally, I want to self study to get my own grasp of the content, identify strengths and weaknesses, etc, then get the training from pros at Powerscore.

As far as the money for the course, I started a GoFundMe very early in the game so I can have the course paid for by people that have helped me along the way. I've gotten donations as high as $150 and as low as $40 and it adds up very quickly, without pressure from my end or their end. Any large purchase is more psychological than monetary,so a prep course is no different. I've heard of people having garage sales to pay for large purchases. I believe if LSATers think of creative ways to pay for a class, more people would take them. That said, Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for the post.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”