Should I quit my job to study for the LSAT full-time? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Re: Should I quit my job to study for the LSAT full-time?

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:44 pm

If you really mean quit your job so that you can study for LSAT and party for what be the final days of absolute freedom:

Yes quit your job

laggyking

New

Post by laggyking » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:46 pm

RamTitan wrote:
bretby wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
TWiiX wrote:You keep asking for unbiased opinions and then whenever someone speaks up, you take it personally and attack what they said/defend yourself. I agree with you when you say it is a serious life decision, but that's all the more reason to not listen to anyone else and make the decision for yourself. I'm glad you got your time off, now study away and do the best you can. If you come up short of 180, life goes on. But that doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't try.
I "attacked" specific answers because they ignored certain components of my situation which were relevant towards making a decision.

I appreciate your sentiments though, and I definitely agree.
When an adult chooses not to work and they aren't doing anything of comparable gravity in its stead (raising children, caring for parents, etc.), it just looks lazy and entitled. Studying for the LSAT is not a full time job.
Okay, you're welcome to feel that way

Edit - I understand that a lot of people strongly dislike me for the way I've posted in this thread, so I'm sorry if I've been out of line. With that said, the decision has been made - my employer didn't want me to quit and gave me two months off, and I'm going to use it to my advantage. Thanks for the advice everyone, but this case is closed.
Im totally on your side, like i dont even have to work at all, what i want to do is far beyond making whole a lot of money as most people here in this forum. I could just be a entry level designer, make 50k a year and drive a porsche, but i really want to do something which could change the life of human being, so if i dont like my current job, i dont feel like its worth my time, why would i keep doing it? most people here, they already act like a lawyer, force people to take their idea. different people have different ways doing things, you cant tell them what to do, especially you are educating them instead of offering them advices. good luck man, wish you get 180.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:38 pm

laggyking wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
bretby wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
TWiiX wrote:You keep asking for unbiased opinions and then whenever someone speaks up, you take it personally and attack what they said/defend yourself. I agree with you when you say it is a serious life decision, but that's all the more reason to not listen to anyone else and make the decision for yourself. I'm glad you got your time off, now study away and do the best you can. If you come up short of 180, life goes on. But that doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't try.
I "attacked" specific answers because they ignored certain components of my situation which were relevant towards making a decision.

I appreciate your sentiments though, and I definitely agree.
When an adult chooses not to work and they aren't doing anything of comparable gravity in its stead (raising children, caring for parents, etc.), it just looks lazy and entitled. Studying for the LSAT is not a full time job.
Okay, you're welcome to feel that way

Edit - I understand that a lot of people strongly dislike me for the way I've posted in this thread, so I'm sorry if I've been out of line. With that said, the decision has been made - my employer didn't want me to quit and gave me two months off, and I'm going to use it to my advantage. Thanks for the advice everyone, but this case is closed.
Im totally on your side, like i dont even have to work at all, what i want to do is far beyond making whole a lot of money as most people here in this forum. I could just be a entry level designer, make 50k a year and drive a porsche, but i really want to do something which could change the life of human being, so if i dont like my current job, i dont feel like its worth my time, why would i keep doing it? most people here, they already act like a lawyer, force people to take their idea. different people have different ways doing things, you cant tell them what to do, especially you are educating them instead of offering them advices. good luck man, wish you get 180.
laggyking, I appreciate your thoughts, and thanks for your support; I'm of a similiar mindset. I wasn't going to say anything, but the fact that bretby, and others on this board, ascribes to limiting absolutes can only be detrimental.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Thought I'd give an update on this thread - scored a 169. Taking a leave of absence to study full-time did not improve my score. Debating on retaking since I burned through all of my material, but we shall see. Regardless, it's back to work for me.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Mullens wrote:why not find a new job and study for the LSAT? One of your assumptions is that your agency is failing. Get a different job. You also don't have "zero financial considerations" because you are foregoing income/savings if you quit your job. The marginal returns also decrease when you start repeating tests. I'm a believer that retaking test multiple times is not as effective as taking new ones for the first time, but I know some people disagree with that.

As some other people have mentioned, the difference between a 171 and a 180 is very marginal unless the 171 is not over a school's 75th. That's like six? schools (that your GPA might prevent you from going to anyway) and so you would only be doing this to chase a pipe dream of a 180 for personal satisfaction and likely no other benefit
Damn, this post really resonates with me now

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pilloriedbrain

New

Post by Pilloriedbrain » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:30 pm

A 180 is awesome. But I do not believe for a moment, it is worth quitting your job while you're hitting a 171. You should not aim for Harvard either. You should be aiming for a full scholarship. And plus some extra dough. Go to George Town. NYU. Or. U of Penn. And have zero debt to worry about after you graduate.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Pilloriedbrain wrote:A 180 is awesome. But I do not believe for a moment, it is worth quitting your job while you're hitting a 171. You should not aim for Harvard either. You should be aiming for a full scholarship. And plus some extra dough. Go to George Town. NYU. Or. U of Penn. And have zero debt to worry about after you graduate.
That's the new goal.

I wish I hadn't taken the time off considering doing the 3 practice test a week thing only burnt me out and stressed me to the max; however, hindsight is 20/20. If I had gotten the same score I did without taking the time off, I would probably have taken the time off now instead.

Here's to hoping taking practice tests for the third time can teach me something :?

FayRays

New

Post by FayRays » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:50 pm

You should follow your heart.
What you wanna be ?
A lawyer or an employee at this company!
Priorities!

FayRays

New

Post by FayRays » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:59 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Pilloriedbrain wrote:A 180 is awesome. But I do not believe for a moment, it is worth quitting your job while you're hitting a 171. You should not aim for Harvard either. You should be aiming for a full scholarship. And plus some extra dough. Go to George Town. NYU. Or. U of Penn. And have zero debt to worry about after you graduate.
That's the new goal.

I wish I hadn't taken the time off considering doing the 3 practice test a week thing only burnt me out and stressed me to the max; however, hindsight is 20/20. If I had gotten the same score I did without taking the time off, I would probably have taken the time off now instead.

Here's to hoping taking practice tests for the third time can teach me something :?

You didn't get a good score?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:53 pm

FayRays wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
That's the new goal.

I scored a 169. I know it's a good score and I don't want to come across as some delusional TLS freak, but I'd really like to score somewhere in the 170s. It's frustrating since I did take a leave of absence from my job and saw no improvement during that time period; with that said, even if I scored at my top end (171, which I think is feasible since I had so many nerves on test day) I would be happy.

FayRays

New

Post by FayRays » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:18 pm

RamTitan wrote:
FayRays wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
That's the new goal.

I scored a 169. I know it's a good score and I don't want to come across as some delusional TLS freak, but I'd really like to score somewhere in the 170s. It's frustrating since I did take a leave of absence from my job and saw no improvement during that time period; with that said, even if I scored at my top end (171, which I think is feasible since I had so many nerves on test day) I would be happy.
Yeah You can do it
just this time do it right. Divide your time wisely, don't make lsat all your life, leave some room for fun and work and most importantly mind games and gym (3-5 days a week).
I am sure you will get good scores on September or October.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:29 pm

FayRays wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
FayRays wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
That's the new goal.

Yeah You can do it
just this time do it right. Divide your time wisely, don't make lsat all your life, leave some room for fun and work and most importantly mind games and gym (3-5 days a week).
I am sure you will get good scores on September or October.
Thanks for your vote of confidence! I definitely agree that by not obsessing over the test and being relaxed, knowing that I already have a good score, will help me tremendously. However, for me to make those small improvements, I'll need to figure out a new way to study to be able to digest this material.

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:14 am

Write answer explanations for the previous 25 tests. I'm sure that will help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”