Hands up if you're working at a law firm right now...

carasrook

Hands up if you're working at a law firm right now...

Postby carasrook » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Hey all -

I've noticed a lot of people saying they currently work at a law firm while they're studying for the LSAT. Since we're all in similar boats, I'm curious to hear other people's stories.

I graduated from undergrad in June and have been working in biglaw ever since (basically as an admin). My plan was to see how I like it and determine if I should take the LSAT/go to law school after that. Turns out, I hate it, but only because the work I do is boring and not challenging. Therefore, I'm takin the LSAT.

I manage to study during my lunch break and occasionally if I'm having a slow day, doing drills at work. Most of my study is after work/on weekends.

Calling all paralegals, legal assistants, administrative assistants, etc! What's it like working at a law firm and studying for the LSAT? How's it going?

Sean_33

Re: Hands up if you're working at a law firm right now...

Postby Sean_33 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Last edited by Sean_33 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrunksFan1

Postby TrunksFan1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Hey everyone. What do you think is the best way to go about securing a paralegal position at a law firm. I'm definitely not going to law school straight through and would like to gain work experience.

Brentwood

Postby Brentwood » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:06 pm

TrunksFan1 wrote:Hey everyone. What do you think is the best way to go about securing a paralegal position at a law firm. I'm definitely not going to law school straight through and would like to gain work experience.

I know some firms will recruit directly from schools, though your best bet is most likely reaching out to HR people and inquiring about openings. I landed a good number of paralegal interviews that way.

carasrook wrote:
I manage to study during my lunch break and occasionally if I'm having a slow day, doing drills at work. Most of my study is after work/on weekends.

Calling all paralegals, legal assistants, administrative assistants, etc! What's it like working at a law firm and studying for the LSAT? How's it going?

Sneaking in a practice section or two during downtime is definitely helpful, although the bulk of your progress will likely be made on weekends/after work. I had very difficult work hours (think 80+/week) while studying for the LSAT and still managed to do extremely well. If you have the cash on hand, investing in a prep course can be a good way to work yourself into a routine. Stay strong out there- I was in your shoes last year.

carasrook

Postby carasrook » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:55 am

TrunksFan1 wrote:Hey everyone. What do you think is the best way to go about securing a paralegal position at a law firm. I'm definitely not going to law school straight through and would like to gain work experience.

I struggled to secure a paralegal position straight out of school with no paralegal experience, but I was able to get a job as an admin and if I want, I could switch to the paralegal department now after being here for 7-8 months. If you can't get a paralegal job, you might be able to sneak in as an admin and move over to the paralegal department. But - I'm also working in a city where competition is very very high, it might be easier to get a paralegal job in a different city.

Another word of caution - I actually make a lot more $ as an admin (surprisingly) than the paralegals do, and they do a lot more overtime work than I have to. It might be better experience, but while I'm saving money for law school and studying for the LSAT, staying an admin makes sense.

Hennessy

Postby Hennessy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Last edited by Hennessy on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Find firms in your town on Google, go onto the "career" section of their websites, and apply.

ETA: you probably won't be an actual paralegal. Most people in your boat get jobs as "legal assistants" or something similar.

GFox345

Postby GFox345 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:37 pm

I also have been a Project Assistant, which is essentially a junior Paralegal, in Biglaw since I graduated in March. I am currently running out the clock and only have about 4 weeks left to work. I am doing summer start at UMich starting at the end of May!

EDIT: By March, I mean March of 2015, of course. I can't believe it has been a year already!

Hennessy

Postby Hennessy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:03 pm

GFox345 wrote:I also have been a Project Assistant, which is essentially a junior Paralegal, in Biglaw since I graduated in March. I am currently running out the clock and only have about 4 weeks left to work. I am doing summer start at UMich starting at the end of May!

EDIT: By March, I mean March of 2015, of course. I can't believe it has been a year already!

UMich, congrats homie

GFox345

Postby GFox345 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:38 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
GFox345 wrote:I also have been a Project Assistant, which is essentially a junior Paralegal, in Biglaw since I graduated in March. I am currently running out the clock and only have about 4 weeks left to work. I am doing summer start at UMich starting at the end of May!

UMich, congrats homie

Thank you! I can definitely sympathize with the long hours (50/week) and studying for the LSAT grind. I essentially had no life at all for 6 months. I can promise that it's worth it in the end though!

Hennessy

Postby Hennessy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Been working on a spreadsheet for cost-to-file in about 40 countries (transposing it from partner's written edits of spreadsheet I previously printed out for him.)

Partner says it can't be sent to client until the header shows row __ and the first country is at row 1. I tried to explain to him that's the ruler, and it can't be edited.

"Just change the 1 to a 0 and hide the 0"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”