No votes
120-129
2%

Total votes: 98

Shib26

Re: The Official February 2016 Waiter's Thread

Postby Shib26 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:57 pm

RonnyDiniro wrote:
Shib26 wrote:I've given it a few hours and come to the realization that not doing as well as I wanted on the LSAT might be a blessing in disguise. I'm pretty much shut out of the t14 now but I've already got a great offer on the table from Arizona State and given my career goals and where I want to live that actually makes a lot of sense. And, the girls are hot, which counts for something. It's still going to bother me for a long time that I never reached close to my potential on this test though.

This is my life minus ASU. I've got good options with a 166 but not reaching that T14 probably will haunt me for the rest of my life. But who knows. Maybe the school I end up at will be better for me.

Nah not for the rest of your life. We, and by we I mean everyone, you, me, Abbey, Lizzie, etc, are gonna be laughing about this one day when we're hotshot lawyers making bank.

mm89

Postby mm89 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:59 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
mm89 wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
mm89 wrote:Does anyone plan on transferring after 1L?

Personally I would never...even though you might have the opportunity to go to a higher-ranked schools depending on your 1L grades, the curriculum won't necessarily be the same between schools. You might fall behind & regret it. Also, I do consider the social factor of things. It was hard on me transferring after my freshman year of undergrad...I mentioned before that, to this day, I feel like I missed out on a lot and kinda lost parts of my youth idk.

I totally get it. I transferred for undergrad as well and the social factor is definitely lost in translation. But do you really think that's going to matter? I mean, I know friends are important but you're not going to see those people in law school. And the friends you make in law school are going to most likely be going somewhere different than you. I don't know, I know the social part is important but is it important enough to put aside the top 10?

It's not about friends necessarily. To me, I'm thinking more of a sense of belonging. I hate feeling like an outsider and it's kind of how I've felt my whole life to be honest. So I want to find a place and make it work. I don't wanna have to uproot and start over somewhere else again...and that includes academic and social stuff. And I don't think I'd get into a top 10 based on where I'll probably go in the fall

Makes sense. Good luck with everything, don't let your score bum you out too much!

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Shib26 wrote:
RonnyDiniro wrote:
Shib26 wrote:I've given it a few hours and come to the realization that not doing as well as I wanted on the LSAT might be a blessing in disguise. I'm pretty much shut out of the t14 now but I've already got a great offer on the table from Arizona State and given my career goals and where I want to live that actually makes a lot of sense. And, the girls are hot, which counts for something. It's still going to bother me for a long time that I never reached close to my potential on this test though.

This is my life minus ASU. I've got good options with a 166 but not reaching that T14 probably will haunt me for the rest of my life. But who knows. Maybe the school I end up at will be better for me.

Nah not for the rest of your life. We, and by we I mean everyone, you, me, Abbey, Lizzie, etc, are gonna be laughing about this one day when we're hotshot lawyers making bank.

Damn right!!!

The Chief Legal Counsel at my company is a woman that graduated from a law school ranked 90! Her husband, graduated from a school ranked 80. They're quite possibly the most loaded people I know. I mean, they own a $15 million home in San Francisco. Their house has a west wing and and east wing. You can't afford that shit in San Francisco without making bank!

We got this guys!

mm89

Postby mm89 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Shib26 wrote:

I'm not going to start at any school that I don't plan on graduating from. That being said, if I somehow beat the curve and have a top 5% GPA, then I'm sure I might at least consider transferring. But considering that transfers pay sticker it would have to be quite a jump for it to be worth it.

But how could not the T14 be a school you want to graduate from? Lol but yeah, the jump would have to be pretty significant. But that's what I'm hoping for because I'm pretty sure I'm out at the T14 as well :(

mm89

Postby mm89 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:02 pm

lizzielemon wrote:
Shib26 wrote:
RonnyDiniro wrote:

Damn right!!!

The Chief Legal Counsel at my company is a woman that graduated from a law school ranked 90! Her husband, graduated from a school ranked 80. They're quite possibly the most loaded people I know. I mean, they own a $15 million home in San Francisco. Their house has a west wing and and east wing. You can't afford that shit in San Francisco without making bank!

We got this guys!

This is exactly what I want to hear!! :D

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
Li'l Sebastian wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:Spivey, if you're still out there...I know you recommended we email our pending schools if our score increased...mine went up 4 but I'm not really necessarily happy about it...do I still email if the score isn't that impressive?

A 4-point jump is huge though!

It's still unimpressive though :( idk what happened.

Email them! Don't you want them to know your score is now x+4 versus x?

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 pm

lizzielemon wrote:Nah not for the rest of your life. We, and by we I mean everyone, you, me, Abbey, Lizzie, etc, are gonna be laughing about this one day when we're hotshot lawyers making bank.

*ok I fucked up this quote series but I'm on my phone so bear with me lol*

"Damn right!!!

We got this guys![/quote]

It's true. My dad went to a law school not even in the top 100 and is extremely successful...I think if you want it bad enough you'll get it...and hopefully I'll be in an even better position starting out cause I'm still lurking in the top-20 range. But you get my drift. Some people just have it naturally when it's time to actually do law & the test that relates to it won't matter as much.

Shib26

Postby Shib26 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:09 pm

lizzielemon wrote:
Shib26 wrote:
RonnyDiniro wrote:

Damn right!!!

We got this guys!

I think you're loaded no matter what city you live in if your house has both a west and east wing lol

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:09 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
Li'l Sebastian wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:Spivey, if you're still out there...I know you recommended we email our pending schools if our score increased...mine went up 4 but I'm not really necessarily happy about it...do I still email if the score isn't that impressive?

What exactly do I say to the schools I'm already accepted to if I'm trying to bargain for more scholarship money? Is 4 points enough to get more money?

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Shib26 wrote:I think you're loaded no matter what city you live in if your house has both a west and east wing lol

Yeah, except in San Francisco, you're basically royalty if you can afford that shit.

A bathroom for rent here costs $3000 a month.

Shib26

Postby Shib26 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:14 pm

mm89 wrote:
Shib26 wrote:

I'm not going to start at any school that I don't plan on graduating from. That being said, if I somehow beat the curve and have a top 5% GPA, then I'm sure I might at least consider transferring. But considering that transfers pay sticker it would have to be quite a jump for it to be worth it.

But how could not the T14 be a school you want to graduate from? Lol but yeah, the jump would have to be pretty significant. But that's what I'm hoping for because I'm pretty sure I'm out at the T14 as well :(

Yeah, I think even if I was in that situation I would worry that I'd be giving up top grades at a lower ranked school to be below median at a t14 where there's still no guarantee of a good job if you're below median.

That's a long way down the road though, gotta handle 1L first!

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Shib26 wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:
Shib26 wrote:
RonnyDiniro wrote:

Damn right!!!

We got this guys!

I think you're loaded no matter what city you live in if your house has both a west and east wing lol

That reminds me of Beauty and the Beast....and it's definitely #goals

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:04 am

lizzielemon wrote:
Shib26 wrote:I think you're loaded no matter what city you live in if your house has both a west and east wing lol

Yeah, except in San Francisco, you're basically royalty if you can afford that shit.

A bathroom for rent here costs $3000 a month.

plz dont remind me

dontsaywhatyoumean

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:14 am

Ugh, didn't get the score I wanted. Bombed the LG I'm pretty sure. I should have done them the couple of weeks prior. Oh well, I wasn't that far off, and improvement solely from LG will get me where I need.

The worst thing is that I probably won't be accepted or rejected until the late summer, because my GPA is quite good, and my LSAT wasn't "that" low.

We'll see.

Sorry to the rest of you guys too, especially Abby, Lizzy and the others that have been regularly posting in here. I guess I'll see you around here for a little longer Lizzy.

I'll be writing in October (assuming I don't get in this cycle) hopefully for the final time (I have school until May, and I'm not using my 2nd take after a month of study). Fortunately I won't have school to contend with this time around.

osgiliath

Postby osgiliath » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 am

lizzielemon wrote:
GumpBrave wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:
GumpBrave wrote:
I'm 27. Part of the magic I see in the LSAT is its ability to wipe away certain other things. With the right LSAT score, age or GPA might be rendered less important, it is a great equalizer. If anything, you should view the LSAT as having value removed from time, perhaps also with the thought that the LSAT might become more valuable as your personal years pass. That's my mindset at least.

Hmm. I guess that's true.

Are you starting school at 27?

Probably won't start law school until 28.

That's good to know. Thats probably going to be the age I start - 27 to 28 since I'm pushing forward another year.

Now I need a bourbon.

I'm 27 and I haven't applied yet this cycle but am sending apps out this week so I would be 28 at the youngest if I started this fall. With Feb score I am 173 with a 2.8 LSAC GPA (yes I typed that correctly) so assuming these late applications don't go too well, I likely won't be 29 til I start. Will keep y'all posted on my results.

DebtIsAmyth

Postby DebtIsAmyth » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:30 am

Applying this cycle and jumped from a 155 to a 166 :mrgreen: , is it worth sitting out this cycle or should I just take whatever I can get now?

T14 would be a dream with these numbers however I am perfectly content T20.

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 am

osgiliath wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:
GumpBrave wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:
GumpBrave wrote:
I'm 27. Part of the magic I see in the LSAT is its ability to wipe away certain other things. With the right LSAT score, age or GPA might be rendered less important, it is a great equalizer. If anything, you should view the LSAT as having value removed from time, perhaps also with the thought that the LSAT might become more valuable as your personal years pass. That's my mindset at least.

Hmm. I guess that's true.

Are you starting school at 27?

Probably won't start law school until 28.

That's good to know. Thats probably going to be the age I start - 27 to 28 since I'm pushing forward another year.

Now I need a bourbon.

I'm 27 and I haven't applied yet this cycle but am sending apps out this week so I would be 28 at the youngest if I started this fall. With Feb score I am 173 with a 2.8 LSAC GPA (yes I typed that correctly) so assuming these late applications don't go too well, I likely won't be 29 til I start. Will keep y'all posted on my results.

Goodluck!!! We late-20s need to stick together!

Daaltaraan

Postby Daaltaraan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:42 am

Well, I found these forums right before the test. I scored at the low end of PT range, so on the bright side, I get to spend the next months preparing for the September LSAT (getting married at end of May) and hanging with y'all. I'm still a junior in undergrad, so hopefully I have time to bring my score up to where I need it to be.

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:18 am

man this thread just had a heart attack and died

Billy Madison

Postby Billy Madison » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 am

After taking in Oct with very limited prep and scoring a 163, then re-taking in Dec with almost no additional prep because my courseload got pretty brutal and getting a 162, and finally re-taking in Feb after graduating and prepping 40+ hr/wk for 4 weeks and reaching 172 a couple times with a 169.75 average on all fresh PTs and strict timing...I got another 162 with no explanation. NU was my dream, Vandy was close behind. No chance I even catch a WL now. It's amazing how crushing this failure feels immediately after returning from BC's ASD (where my scholly+GI Bill will cover my expenses 100%). BC is a great school and Boston is a cool town, but knowing I had 170 in me and not knowing why I missed it is really discouraging. I thought I fell a little short of 170, but I really expected 167-169 and certainly no less than 165. Even after sleeping on it, this blows...

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:05 am

I woke up this morning feeling like I got dumped...you know that feeling...I'm just like, man...this hurts. Still really disappointed but oh well. Where'd everybody go though

Jeff62

Postby Jeff62 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:31 am

Got a 145 smh

GFox345

Postby GFox345 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:53 am

AbbeyS wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
Li'l Sebastian wrote:

What exactly do I say to the schools I'm already accepted to if I'm trying to bargain for more scholarship money? Is 4 points enough to get more money?

I am speaking from experience when I say this. I took for the first time in October 2015, was accepted with that score, retook in December and did 2 points better, and my scholarship more than doubled. Keep in mind that it was a critical 2 points because it took me from below the school's median to its 75th, but based on this alone 4 points is definitely enough for more money unless you're already way above the median or still way below even with the added points.

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:55 am

GFox345 wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
Li'l Sebastian wrote:

I am speaking from experience when I say this. I took for the first time in October 2015, was accepted with that score, retook in December and did 2 points better, and my scholarship more than doubled. Keep in mind that it was a critical 2 points because it took me from below the school's median to its 75th, but based on this alone 4 points is definitely enough for more money unless you're already way above the median or still way below even with the added points.

Oh thanks. That's good news. How/when should I write this email? I don't wanna say the wrong thing or send it too early/late

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 am

AbbeyS wrote:I woke up this morning feeling like I got dumped...you know that feeling...I'm just like, man...this hurts. Still really disappointed but oh well. Where'd everybody go though

+1

Couldn't even get myself to go to my class this morning. Upsetting, but I'm trying to figure out a game plan as I wait for rejections/waitlists to come in!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”