76 S2 Q20 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sd1111

New

76 S2 Q20

Post by sd1111 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:28 am

Hi, I am not sure why C is incorrect and why E is correct.

I did search the Manhattan Forum, but I could not figure it out still. The word MANY in answer choice C would be too weak. However, I noticed several correct answer choice with MANY are the correct one in newer PTs' weaken/Assumption questions. So the Manhattan's explaination regarding the weak power of MANY cannot satisfy me.

Further, if E is the correct answer choice, we do need to assume that lacking intellencual appeal makes students LEAVE their classes. I do not feel comfortable when I need to assume something in the answer choice to make it right.

Can somebody help? Highly appreciate that.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: 76 S2 Q20

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:51 pm

sd1111 wrote:Hi, I am not sure why C is incorrect and why E is correct.

I did search the Manhattan Forum, but I could not figure it out still. The word MANY in answer choice C would be too weak. However, I noticed several correct answer choice with MANY are the correct one in newer PTs' weaken/Assumption questions. So the Manhattan's explaination regarding the weak power of MANY cannot satisfy me.

Further, if E is the correct answer choice, we do need to assume that lacking intellencual appeal makes students LEAVE their classes. I do not feel comfortable when I need to assume something in the answer choice to make it right.

So what we're trying to do here is explain why there's been a decline in people earning chemistry degrees despite that the number of entering chemistry majors hasn't changed, and that job prospects for chem majors are better than ever. One likely possibility, which you may have anticipated, is that a lot of those entering chemistry majors switch or drop out. But why might they be doing this?

E states: Over the years, first-year chemistry has come to be taught in a more routinely methodical fashion, which dampens its intellectual appeal.

This answer gives us a possible reason as to why entering chemistry majors might switch. 1st year chemistry is super boring, and the prospect of spending four more years balancing equations (or whatever science people do :| ) fills all those would-be majors with deep existential dread.

You're right that we're assuming that lacking intellectual appeal would be a deterrent for these students. But look again at the question prompt. It asks for the answer that "most helps to explain the decline." This answer is the best one we've got. It gives a reason as to why there are less graduating chem majors despite that the number of entering chem majors hasn't changed. None of the other answers fit the puzzle quite as nicely.

C states: Many students are very unsure of their choice when they pick a major upon entering universities.

This answer is very weak, but it's not just because it uses the word "many." It doesn't have anything to do with chemistry majors in particular. It gives a possible reason as to why students might switch majors, but it's very vague and doesn't relate specifically to the phenomenon of decreasing chemistry majors. The correct answers for Resolve/Explain questions tend to be a lot more specific. They tend to relate more closely to the details of the dilemma at hand.

Also, to dig a little deeper, so what if students are unsure about their major when they enter college? That doesn't necessarily mean they are likely to switch. It could just be that they're nervous and indecisive, as many teenagers are. By picking this answer, you're essentially assuming that their uncertainty means they will probably switch majors. So in that sense, it definitely isn't a better answer than E.

Hope that helps!

**By the way, when we call the word "many" weak, we are referring to its strength as a quantifier. On the LSAT, the word "many" only guarantees "more than one." It is thus equivalent to the word "some" in terms of strength. So that other explanation you read isn't saying that "many" can never be used in a valid answer, just that it was too weak a quantifier for this specific question.

sd1111

New

Post by sd1111 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:46 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
sd1111 wrote:Hi, I am not sure why C is incorrect and why E is correct.

So what we're trying to do here is explain why there's been a decline in people earning chemistry degrees despite that the number of entering chemistry majors hasn't changed, and that job prospects for chem majors are better than ever. One likely possibility, which you may have anticipated, is that a lot of those entering chemistry majors switch or drop out. But why might they be doing this?

E states: Over the years, first-year chemistry has come to be taught in a more routinely methodical fashion, which dampens its intellectual appeal.

This answer gives us a possible reason as to why entering chemistry majors might switch. 1st year chemistry is super boring, and the prospect of spending four more years balancing equations (or whatever science people do :| ) fills all those would-be majors with deep existential dread.

You're right that we're assuming that lacking intellectual appeal would be a deterrent for these students. But look again at the question prompt. It asks for the answer that "most helps to explain the decline." This answer is the best one we've got. It gives a reason as to why there are less graduating chem majors despite that the number of entering chem majors hasn't changed. None of the other answers fit the puzzle quite as nicely.

C states: Many students are very unsure of their choice when they pick a major upon entering universities.

This answer is very weak, but it's not just because it uses the word "many." It doesn't have anything to do with chemistry majors in particular. It gives a possible reason as to why students might switch majors, but it's very vague and doesn't relate specifically to the phenomenon of decreasing chemistry majors. The correct answers for Resolve/Explain questions tend to be a lot more specific. They tend to relate more closely to the details of the dilemma at hand.

Also, to dig a little deeper, so what if students are unsure about their major when they enter college? That doesn't necessarily mean they are likely to switch. It could just be that they're nervous and indecisive, as many teenagers are. By picking this answer, you're essentially assuming that their uncertainty means they will probably switch majors. So in that sense, it definitely isn't a better answer than E.

Hope that helps!

**By the way, when we call the word "many" weak, we are referring to its strength as a quantifier. On the LSAT, the word "many" only guarantees "more than one." It is thus equivalent to the word "some" in terms of strength. So that other explanation you read isn't saying that "many" can never be used in a valid answer, just that it was too weak a quantifier for this specific question.

Thanks for your explanation, I sincerely appreciate that!

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:27 pm

sd1111 wrote:
Thanks for your explanation, I sincerely appreciate that!
You're welcome! If you have any other questions that I can help with, post them here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1475

Don't be intimidated by the page count, I'm still answering all the new questions on that thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”