Postponing for a year...again? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kbrizz

New

Postponing for a year...again?

Post by kbrizz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:10 am

Hi all - if this is not the place for this, please let me know. I'll relocate.

I have been seriously studying for the LSAT since about the beginning of July. I joined 7Sage pretty late, at around the beginning of August. I hurried through the curriculum and due to parental demands, took the October LSAT and scored a 155. Since then I have been PTing and BRing but have not seen an improvement in my scores.

I desperately want to go to law school; I have some exposure to the field and I loved every minute of it. However, my parents simply won't allow me to postpone the test/application process any longer. At least, not with their continued support.
I have a good GPA (can disclose if needed) and I know what a good LSAT score could do for my future.

I suppose my question is this: Do I suck it up, get a mediocre score, get into a mediocre school and try to transfer? Or is it really worth it to postpone the test again, disappoint the parents, but put myself in a better place for the future (although I don't know how I'll convince them or where I'll live)? I am currently in my gap year (graduated in May), so this would mean taking another year and waiting until Fall of 17 to enter school, as I understand it.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Re: Postponing for a year...again?

Post by Actus Reus » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:16 am

Tell your parents that if they force you to go, they'll support you for 20 more years of financial ruin. 1 more year ain't so bad for them to wait.

chicharon

Silver

Post removed...

Post by chicharon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:34 am

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:43 am

I've taken two years off so far and I am considering taking a third one off to fire LSAT bullet #4. Simply put, the return on your investment in LSAT prep per hour is equivalent to hundreds of dollars per hour in instant tuition savings and/or tens of thousands of dollars in future income.

The legal field is an incredibly competitive one. If you go to one of the schools you can get into with your current score (see: http://mylsn.info/rtqebp/ assuming a G.P.A. of 3.8+) you may get lucky and snag a decent job, you may not. You will not make nearly the hourly you can right now from LSAT study, and you will have easily $150,000 in debt accruing at ~7% interest.

Trying to go to a "mediocre" school and transferring is a bad solution. It is tremendously easier to improve on the LSAT than to be at the top of your class from any law school. If your parents are concerned about you wanting to take a year off now, imagine how mad they will be when you finish median 1L at Florida or Georgia State and your best solution is to drop out of school with your $50k in debt.

Do you have any skills that would allow you find a job in your area? Showing your parents a willingness to work while you prepare for the LSAT may make them less critical of your decision (it could also help with finding a job during/after LS). If, despite that, they want to kick you out, then I concede it is a tough spot. I still think it is taking a tremendous (unnecessary and hasty) gamble with your future to go into debt for one of these schools. Even more so since you are in the fortunate position to have found this site, and all the gold within this forum. Unlike most students in your position you realize these "mediocre" schools are unlikely to put you in a good position moving forward, and you have the world here at your fingertips.

It seems your first test as a lawyer is convincing your parents of the reality of your situation and getting them to see your perspective, despite their apparent interest in moving you along in the path towards financial ruin.

Another option is to take your great G.P.A. and pursue a different career path. But, law school really isn't worth it with your current numbers.

Addendum: If your parents are actually paying for all or a significant portion of your law school bill then I would still argue that you should try your best to convince them that taking a little time off now is worth it, but it does change the calculus a bit. If you are okay morally with them spending this much money for what you consider a "mediocre" school AND you are okay working at a 2-10 lawyer small firm in a 15-mile radius around one of these schools (see: above graph) then hey you do have a reasonable chance of getting one of those jobs from many of these schools.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Don't let parental pressure ruin your life (because 155 either means sticker or a shitty law school)
It caused a lot of drama when I told my parents I wasn't applying with my first score, but they weren't going to finance law school for me so I tried to rationally explain that I didn't want to take out six figures of debt when I could pull a fully with another score. I held firm despite the boomer "gotta spend money to make money" and "I know several successful TTT grads" b.s. Did some cool things this past year and have cool things planned for the next year. If your parents are really going to kick you out, so be it. Getting a shitty job and renting a room in an apartment is normal young adult stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Postpone, show your parents the stats on LST

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Show them employment stats AND the bimodal salary distribution curve:

http://www.nalp.org/salarydistrib

i_wish_i_was_smart

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by i_wish_i_was_smart » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shasta McNasty

New

Post by Shasta McNasty » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:12 pm

I'm in sort of a similar position although I yet to take the actual test. I know I don't want to end up in financial ruin, but I also don't want to sit on my ass for almost another two years if I sit out this cycle. My options aren't that great since I never had any spectacular internships in DC like many of my classmates although having a 3.8.

FutureLitigator

New

Post by FutureLitigator » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:37 am

It all depends on the legal connections, if any, that your parents have. Additionally, what will be so different this time around, and how confident are you about waiting 1 year to RT?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:11 am

mornincounselor wrote:I've taken two years off so far and I am considering taking a third one off to fire LSAT bullet #4. Simply put, the return on your investment in LSAT prep per hour is equivalent to hundreds of dollars per hour in instant tuition savings and/or tens of thousands of dollars in future income.
I did this. No regrets. I still fell short of my goal but I landed the best deal possible thanks to that 3rd year off and 4th take (which resulted in my highest score). Left nothing on the table.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”