Frustrated - 70+ PTs Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
yunjh2725

New

Frustrated - 70+ PTs

Post by yunjh2725 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Similar to other posts here, I have been doing well in PTs in 60s (would get mid 160, which is my target score).
Once, I started doing 72 and 73 recently, I got low 160 and high 150.
I am reviewing PT 73 Q 12. The nuance in this question is fairly new in PTs. Please help.

Q12 was a sufficient assumption question.
The stimulus said: ~consulted -> can't release the report.
Correct answer is A: ~Consent -> can't release the report.
My question is for answer C: ~Reservation -> can't release the report.
I checked the reviews for this question and they said while you can't consent to something without being consulted, hence A being the answer, the review says that we have no idea whether they can have reservations/objections when not consulted. How is this possible? Yes, I agree that you cannot consent without being consulted first but how can you have reservations/objections without being consulted?

Let me know if I sound unclear!

Help would be much appreciated.

sd1111

New

Re: Frustrated - 70+ PTs

Post by sd1111 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:10 pm

yunjh2725 wrote:Similar to other posts here, I have been doing well in PTs in 60s (would get mid 160, which is my target score).
I am reviewing PT 73 Q 12. The nuance in this question is fairly new in PTs. Please help.

I checked the reviews for this question and they said while you can't consent to something without being consulted, hence A being the answer, the review says that we have no idea whether they can have reservations/objections when not consulted. How is this possible? Yes, I agree that you cannot consent without being consulted first but how can you have reservations/objections without being consulted?

https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t9188.html I found that thread is really useful.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: Frustrated - 70+ PTs

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:35 pm

yunjh2725 wrote:Similar to other posts here, I have been doing well in PTs in 60s (would get mid 160, which is my target score).

Let's break down the argument in Q12. There is only one premise and one conclusion.

Premise: The chairperson did not consult any other members of the commission about the report before releasing it
Conclusion: The chairperson should not have released the report

We need a sufficient assumption, so it has to guarantee that the chairperson was wrong in releasing the report.

(c) says: "The chairperson would not have been justified in releasing the commission’s report if any members of the commission had serious reservations about the report’s content."

The problem with this answer is that there is no way of knowing, based on the information given to us, whether or not the members had reservations about its content. If there had been another premise that established that even ONE member had reservations about the report's content, this answer would work.

Also, remember that we're talking about reservations about its content, not about about whether or not it should be released. It seems like that's what confused you.

(a) reads: "It would have been permissible for the chairperson to release the commission’s report to the public only if most other members of the commission had first given their consent."

This answer puts a high burden on the chairperson. MOST of the other members MUST have given their consent to release the report. Since none of them were even consulted about releasing, there's no way they could have given their consent to it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”