Post removed.

rn2012

Post removed.

Postby rn2012 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by rn2012 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Campos

Re: Canceling my score (again) for Dec. LSAT?

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:38 pm

It makes no sense at all for you to take the LSAT at this time. You're not where you want to be in your preparation, you're not even applying this cycle, and you've already used up a take. Withdraw and take it when you're ready.

rn2012

Postby rn2012 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Paul Campos wrote:It makes no sense at all for you to take the LSAT at this time. You're not where you want to be in your preparation, you're not even applying this cycle, and you've already used up a take. Withdraw and take it when you're ready.

I'm planning on taking it anyways, because I don't get a refund? Might as well take it, and withdraw afterwards (you get up to 6 days), so at least I can get some more LSAT test experience? My question is though, how bad would two cancellations look? Especially to T-14 schools?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:41 pm

rn2012 wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:It makes no sense at all for you to take the LSAT at this time. You're not where you want to be in your preparation, you're not even applying this cycle, and you've already used up a take. Withdraw and take it when you're ready.

I'm planning on taking it anyways, because I don't get a refund? Might as well take it, and withdraw afterwards (you get up to 6 days), so at least I can get some more LSAT test experience? My question is though, how bad would two cancellations look? Especially to T-14 schools?

Do not do this. It's the worst idea I've seen on this site and has no upside at all. After this test you only have one more shot to get it right. If you freak out on the third take you're screwed. You should withdraw and take it when you're ready. You aren't even applying this cycle! Lsat experience is really dumb. Take a pt at home.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:57 pm

rn2012 wrote:

Think of it this way, would you rather "save" $200 and have one shot at $100k+, or would you rather "spend" $200 and have two shots at $100k+?
I'm not an economist, but I think the second option is a better use of your money and time.

rn2012

Postby rn2012 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Clearly wrote:
rn2012 wrote:

Do not do this. It's the worst idea I've seen on this site and has no upside at all. After this test you only have one more shot to get it right. If you freak out on the third take you're screwed. You should withdraw and take it when you're ready. You aren't even applying this cycle! Lsat experience is really dumb. Take a pt at home.

But I read online that a withdrawal counts as another chance. So either way, I only have one shot to get it right. Might as well show up for the test, right? And I know, the third time around will be super nerve wracking, but I will have a full year off and come Jan., my work schedule will be less grilling (I'll be working part time, not full), so I'll have so much more time to study.

rn2012

Postby rn2012 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Minnietron wrote:
rn2012 wrote:

Think of it this way, would you rather "save" $200 and have one shot at $100k+, or would you rather "spend" $200 and have two shots at $100k+?
I'm not an economist, but I think the second option is a better use of your money and time.

Well, that's exactly my question! Would I still have a shot at $100k+, with TWO LSAT cancellation? I know that law schools, especially top law schools, get a bit nervous with two cancellations. If I have a shot at a bottom T-12, with two LSAT cancellations, I will definitely withdraw.

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Withdraw before this exam and then you are left with 2 more chances to take the exam within this two-year period. Consider the $200 gone. Take the test when you are ready.

rn2012

Postby rn2012 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:33 pm

seashell.economy wrote:Withdraw before this exam and then you are left with 2 more chances to take the exam within this two-year period. Consider the $200 gone. Take the test when you are ready.

But doesn't a withdrawal count as a chance?

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:01 pm

No, it doesn't count as one of your 3 chances IF you withdraw before the deadline. Check LSAC for the deadline.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Even if you cancel the night before the exam it does NOT count as a take.

rn2012

Postby rn2012 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:41 pm

seashell.economy wrote:No, it doesn't count as one of your 3 chances IF you withdraw before the deadline. Check LSAC for the deadline.

The deadline was weeks ago.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:50 pm

You don't seem to be listening. The deadline is for a refund. You can cancel up till midnight the night before, it doesn't count as a take and you get no refund.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:50 pm

rn2012 wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:No, it doesn't count as one of your 3 chances IF you withdraw before the deadline. Check LSAC for the deadline.

The deadline was weeks ago.

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/absences.cfm
Withdrawing after the deadline costs you money, not a "take." If you don't trust TLS posters or Powerscore, you can run a google search and find many sources relaying this information.

ETA: OP, you say you have a 176 from the Feb. LSAT. Why are you worried about a retake? The difference between a 176 and 180 will not be significant enough to change your outcome given your 3.0 gpa.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:52 pm

And you're not helping by providing misinformation. It doesn't count as a take even if you withdraw the evening before the test. You just don't get a refund. The deadline is about refunds, not about it counting as a take.

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Clearly wrote:

And you're not helping by providing misinformation. It doesn't count as a take even if you withdraw the evening before the test. You just don't get a refund. The deadline is about refunds, not about it counting as a take.

I said that you can withdraw before the deadline and not have it count as a take. The deadline is 11:59pm the night before the exam. I mentioned loosing out on the money (but not the take) in my previous post. The confusion might be that some people are referring to a deadline for a monetary refund, and others are referring to a deadline to withdraw from the exam and not have it count as a take.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Minnietron wrote:
rn2012 wrote:

ETA: OP, you say you have a 176 from the Feb. LSAT. Why are you worried about a retake? The difference between a 176 and 180 will not be significant enough to change your outcome given your 3.0 gpa.

lol busted.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:14 pm

seashell.economy wrote:
Clearly wrote:

I said that you can withdraw before the deadline and not have it count as a take. The deadline is 11:59pm the night before the exam. I mentioned loosing out on the money (but not the take) in my previous post. The confusion might be that some people are referring to a deadline for a monetary refund, and others are referring to a deadline to withdraw from the exam and not have it count as a take.

Cmon bro, you told him to check LSAC to find "the night before the exam" deadline?

ihenry

Postby ihenry » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Even if you just don't show up at the test center it doesn't count as a take. I believe the midnight before exam thingie is just a matter of difference in notation on your score report.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:57 am

ihenry wrote:Even if you just don't show up at the test center it doesn't count as a take. I believe the midnight before exam thingie is just a matter of difference in notation on your score report.

Correct. Essentially a take starts when you see the test.

ihenry

Postby ihenry » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:59 am

Clearly wrote:
ihenry wrote:Even if you just don't show up at the test center it doesn't count as a take. I believe the midnight before exam thingie is just a matter of difference in notation on your score report.

I think they use "attempt", which is a proper word for it.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:02 am

ihenry wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Lol semantics, I'm using the common tls lingo, take.

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:41 am

Clearly wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Cmon bro, you told him to check LSAC to find "the night before the exam" deadline?

Absolutely, bro. I didn't even initially want to mention the time, even though I knew it because I myself cancelled around 11pm in June. They could have changed the rules since then...OP still needs to check the deadlines themselves on LSAC.

newcareernewtown

Postby newcareernewtown » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:19 am

If youre sure you want to attend next cycle, I dont see the harm. LS dont take into account canceled scores, and only YHS really care about anything other than the best score.

If you would consider going to LS another year, then definitely cancel since you can only take it 3 times during a 2 year period.

rn2012

Postby rn2012 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Clearly wrote:
ihenry wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Lol semantics, I'm using the common tls lingo, take.

Well if a Withdraw doesn't count as a take (sorry everyone, I was really misinformed on LSAC's policies regarding this), I'll definitely withdraw. Thanks everyone!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”