Withdraw from December for Feb? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
87mm

Bronze

Withdraw from December for Feb?

Post by 87mm » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey,

I appreciate all the help so far since I began my prep. Currently, I have two LSAT tests taken. June @ 155, Oct @ 160. Both of them I feel I under-performed. My average before Oct was ~162 with a high of 164/165. Unfortunately I botched a game on the oct test. I ended up with LG -7, and -7 across the board in each section. Typically I average ~ 0-2 on LG, 3-8 on LR, and 7-10 on RC.

Since the Oct test, I took a couple weeks off and started drilling again. I enrolled in an accelerated manhattan course looking to fill in gaps in my thought process and improve my fundamentals. As time approaches the Dec LSAT I am increasingly debating pushing back my test to Feb. I am not sure if I can improve more than I have already in the increased time.

With only 3 weeks left, I feel like cant feasibly drill RC and LR questions (although I have drilled 20+ preptests worth of individual question types as it is) in addition to adding back in timed drills and full PTs and improve to a 170+.

I will definitely take a PT or two before now and the weekend of Thanksgiving and have a final decision then, however, would it be advisable to postpone to Feb?

Other important considerations:
  • Full time work (BS Aerospace Engineering, MS Mechanical/Biomedical engineering, 2.5 years experience). Very difficult to have huge blocks of time to study outside the drilling @ lunch and a few hours after work and PTs on a weekend..

Need to find another job before next June. Rotational program and I absolutely do not want to live in this part of the country nor do I really enjoy the career path the company has me going down.

28 years old.... delay my career another year.

IP interest (pros or lit)

Want to work in southern california, florida, or boston (ties to each area) with market-ish salary

Considering taking Patent Bar and looking for work as a Patent Agent in the extra year, but most positions require 2-5 years patent agent experience... can I find work?

UG GPA: 3.65 @ top 5 engineering institution
    "hispanic other" and mixed
signs are pointing to delaying and giving this last try my best shot. less studying per day due to work, but increased time to prepare and take advantage of the course I enrolled in as well as individual review and PTing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you.

wittywitless

Bronze

Re: Withdraw from December for Feb?

Post by wittywitless » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:24 am

Have your scores been increasing lately at all?

My gut instinct is to tell you to postpone, just because it is your last shot and you really want to demonstrate an upward trend on this one. Work sounds like it's intense and you want to shine on this last one. It depends though because you don't want to burn out. I'd say your plan to study for another two weeks and see where you're at sounds perfect. If at that point you're feeling that you can improve with additional time, then take it.

87mm

Bronze

Re: Withdraw from December for Feb?

Post by 87mm » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I hope I dont burn out. I've had that happen before. Most likely would need to extend the study but have less hours per day with more breaks.

I believe we are on the same page overall. Although, one consideration that may be of merrit is applying ED to BU (full scholarship) even if it is a reach at my numbers. A delay in LSAT assuming I dont improve allowing more time to prep and if I end up getting the ED admission then I am good to go. If i dont get ED I could still be rolled into RD where I could submit a revised LSAT (assuming no rejection) and maybe end up with $$ anyways. Fortunately I am around the 75th percentiles at UF so I can always go back to FL if I must...

As for improvement, the last preptest I took was a 162 which is right at my avg. It was the june 2007 test which has a -8 curve though :?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”