Kaplan vs Power Score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
denislav12

New

Kaplan vs Power Score

Post by denislav12 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi,

I am new here, and I have a question. Which prep rpgram is better Power Score vs Kaplan?

Thank you

Chadbertwick

New

Re: Kaplan vs Power Score

Post by Chadbertwick » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:46 pm

I am towards the end of my cycle now as I have taken my LSAT already and gotten most of my acceptances back, but I can certainly take a moment to empathize with anyone going through the difficult process of prepping for the LSAT. Personally I had an LSAT Prep horror story, which I won't delve into much detail here. However, through my research I found PowerScore to be better than Kaplan. I would recommend that you take Testmasters though, as I found it to be the best. Be careful that you take the course offered on Testmasters180.com not Testmasters.com. They are two different companies, and the latter is running a scam based on the success of the first!!! (I found that out the hard way) Good luck!

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:48 pm

I would not spend any money on such programs. Buy a book with some old tests and do those. If you feel the need for someone to tell you how to take a test (as if you haven't learned in over 15 years of education), then buy an LSAT book. It's much cheaper and probably just as effective.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:51 pm

I'd disagree with the above poster about a class not being useful.

In truth it all depends on you, but if you are the type of person who can benefit from some 1-on-1 instruction, a time commitment, practicing timed tests, and in general like the classroom experience....

Well then a class if for you. Powerscore and Testmasters are basically the same in my opinion.

Kaplan isn't worth the money to me.

Whether you take a course or not, make sure you get the new Powerscore bibles. They are a great starting point.

And, just a sidenote, any class won't make you a superstar. You are going to have to put in time outside of the class. A class can just be another helpful tool.

Chadbertwick

New

Post by Chadbertwick » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:51 pm

ditto to the Powerscore Bible comment!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toast

New

Post by toast » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:58 pm

If you're set on taking a class, and these two are your options, then choose PowerScore. Kaplan is pretty dreadful, as I understand. I took a PowerScore class and didn't think it had much of an effect on my score, especially since I had already read the Bibles and worked through a lot of old tests, but if you really need help getting a strategy going, I can see how PowerScore would aid you.

Whatever you do, though, remember to do a lot of self-assessment, and work through as many old tests as you can.

wtracing

New

Post by wtracing » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:45 am

I took a Powerscore weekend course and wish I would have been able to take a full length course (not available within 4 hours of my location) had to drive to Dallas for the weekend course in fact. I thought the weekend course was mainly for those not grasping the simple concepts although I certainly did learn some good stuff during the weekend, plus its 16 hours of intense practice at any rate. I improved 6 points from 155-161. Was practice testing in the upper 160's so was pretty bummed about my final score but thats life. Roommate went from 160-172 using the same weekend course and intensely studied the LG bible and LR bibles from Powerscore. I studied them just about as hard, obviously not same results. I think it varies per person. I'd say we're roughly equivalent in intelligence.

The LSAT is a learnable test and your ability to improve banks on you learning the subtle things of this test. I am kind of a big picture guy and you really have to read carefully and look at details. If you're detail oriented already, that might help.

Long story short, I believe in test-prep. Ideally the test should maybe measure intelligence that cannot be learned, but since it does, you need to take advantage of that.

I hear great things about Testmasters too. I'd avoid Kaplan. Friend who got a 172 now teaches there, hates the methods (I do too after reading their books) Its just not effecient. Thats my two cents, sorry to ramble on so long.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:01 am

:shock:
Last edited by RATRATRAT on Mon May 26, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 am

:shock:
Last edited by RATRATRAT on Mon May 26, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oomk

New

Post by oomk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:13 am

power score logic games bible is the best 60 dollars i have ever spent. so worth the money. also i hear kaplan sucks. do not, whatever you do, do princeton review.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:17 am

Well, you didn't hear that from me. Because I said it didn't.

And why not Princeton Review? Lots of times people offer explanations for things.

mystfan1

New

Post by mystfan1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:30 am

I don't know about Powerscore or Testmasters, but I took the four month long Kaplan class and my diagnostic was a 148 in February. In June on test day I scored a 164 so I think Kaplan was really worth the investment to me. I had a great instructor and tons of time to devote to it. So that's my two cents about it. :) Go Kaplan!

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31 am

with kaplan it seems hit or miss based on who the professor is, but from what i have gathered you should take powerscore or testmasters180.com not testmasters.com ... Im taking testmasters180 in april and that coupled with alot of self study should do the trick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aspiringlawyer

New

Post by aspiringlawyer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:25 am

I haven't even taken Powerscore, but I recommend it because Kaplan is HORRIBLE. You MIGHT get a decent instructor, but it's really a gamble. I thought the methods in Kaplan were NOT good at all...they teach REALLY slowly, seems like they target kids who are aiming for 150. Do NOT take Kaplan. Biggest waste of $1,000 ever.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:58 am

From the horse's mouth...

Kaplan tries, from what I have heard from people who work for them, to get a student into the 160-165 range. If a student is already scoring in the 160's, the goal is to get them in the 165-168 range.

I have no stats to back this up, but I would be willing to bet your life on the fact that Powerscore students have a much higher improvement (based on where they start) versus Kaplan. I would seriously bet your life on it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”