Withdraw from October LSAT?: Little preparation, 168 LSAT practice score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Bhaal

New

Withdraw from October LSAT?: Little preparation, 168 LSAT practice score

Post by Bhaal » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Hello, I'm just frantically trying to make a last-minute decision about the October LSAT. I've only truly started studying for the LSAT a couple weeks ago and it mostly involved reading the official LSAT Superprep intro and the Powerscore Logic Games bible (which I've still not finished). My first actual timed LSAT score (just practice, not official) turned out to be a 168. I missed only a few questions in the logical reasoning sections combined, did rather well on the reading comprehension as well, but botched the logic games section (missed like 9 out of the 24 or so). I believe I only did so because of a lack of practiced familiarity with the logic games section (despite my initial studying and understanding of diagramming patterns) and the time limit (including resulting anxiety affecting my concentration).

I recently purchased the Powerscore Reading Comprehension bible and a book of official tests and am already signed up for the October LSAT. I've already requested my letters of recommendation, as well. However, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to postpone until December and get a solid higher score instead of a lower score, retake, and/or cancellation. My LSDAS GPA is about a 3.48 now, I'm a senior undergraduate, and I was hoping I might be able to get into the T14 or T6, hopefully with scholarship money to the lower T14 or schools right behind the T14. So...

Do you think I should wait until the December LSAT and should I be able to improve significantly in the mean-time with focused practice? Is December too late these days for scholarship money at upper-tier schools? Thank you. :)
Last edited by Bhaal on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredfred

Bronze

Re: Withdraw from October LSAT?: Little preparation, 168 LSAT practice score

Post by fredfred » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:50 pm

just take both. people downplay the importance of test day performance. use tomorrow as a learning tool for december. maybe you crush tomorrow. just take it.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bhaal

New

Post by Bhaal » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:56 pm

But wouldn't that reflect poorly on my application as opposed to just a single higher score? Especially because I think I might be a little too anxious/feeling unprepared to even do this well for real, right now.

fredfred

Bronze

Post by fredfred » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:58 pm

Bhaal wrote:But wouldn't that reflect poorly on my application as opposed to just a single higher score? Especially because I think I might be a little too anxious/feeling unprepared to even do this well for real, right now.
My first test was under 160. I had a very similar GPA as you. Im at Duke/UVA on a huge scholarship. I didn't crush the lsat till the 3rd time. Im super grateful for my 2 failures earlier on. I learned a lot that I wouldn't have learned studying.

IE Schools don't care about your scores except your top score. That is all they care about. use tomorrow as a learning moment because you will feel like this regardless how much you study. take the damn exam tomorrow and stop trying to find an excuse. live and learn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:23 pm

fredfred wrote:
Bhaal wrote:But wouldn't that reflect poorly on my application as opposed to just a single higher score? Especially because I think I might be a little too anxious/feeling unprepared to even do this well for real, right now.
My first test was under 160. I had a very similar GPA as you. Im at Duke/UVA on a huge scholarship. I didn't crush the lsat till the 3rd time. Im super grateful for my 2 failures earlier on. I learned a lot that I wouldn't have learned studying.

IE Schools don't care about your scores except your top score. That is all they care about. use tomorrow as a learning moment because you will feel like this regardless how much you study. take the damn exam tomorrow and stop trying to find an excuse. live and learn.
Huge scholly is impressive. Do you have any distinguished softs that offset your GPA, or is it ONLY because you crushed the lsat?

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bhaal

New

Post by Bhaal » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:13 pm

fredfred wrote:

I should have specified, sorry, but I'm not really looking for an excuse, I'm looking at NYU:

"If I take the LSAT more than once, does the Committee see the higher score?

Yes, but they evaluate based on the average score in most cases. The Committee may take special circumstances into account. If a candidate can point out specific reasons why the Committee should consider an LSAT score aberrant, they should detail those reasons in an addendum to the personal statement."

This is why I'm afraid to take the LSAT tomorrow. I've heard the conventional wisdom that for most schools, retakes don't matter but my prime choice directly state otherwise.

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Bhaal wrote:
fredfred wrote:

I should have specified, sorry, but I'm not really looking for an excuse, I'm looking at NYU:

"If I take the LSAT more than once, does the Committee see the higher score?

Yes, but they evaluate based on the average score in most cases. The Committee may take special circumstances into account. If a candidate can point out specific reasons why the Committee should consider an LSAT score aberrant, they should detail those reasons in an addendum to the personal statement."

This is why I'm afraid to take the LSAT tomorrow. I've heard the conventional wisdom that for most schools, retakes don't matter but my prime choice directly state otherwise.
If you are confident you can reach upper 160s then you are fine, and you can retake in December if you want to get higher.
According to what I know from current students, all the law students I know have taken LSAT at least twice. Law schools told you to average but I doubt they do, since your highest score is the one they will report to the US news or something in order to rank.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Wait - s/he is PT'ing at 168 with only a few weeks practice...why aren't we saying to hold off till December? Seems like this person could actually study and get a really high score. Although I do agree that schools only seem to care about your highest score...

fredfred

Bronze

Post by fredfred » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:43 pm

PrayFor170 wrote:
fredfred wrote:

Huge scholly is impressive. Do you have any distinguished softs that offset your GPA, or is it ONLY because you crushed the lsat?
Yes I did. PM if you really want to know but actual unicorn softs.

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:25 pm

I mentioned this in another thread, but schools dont "average" the scores anymore. There is no punihsment for doing with risk of having to retake

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”