stuck-LR advice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BM_1993

New

stuck-LR advice?

Post by BM_1993 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Took the LSAT in Dec 2014. I applied last year and decided to take a year off. Retaking in October and reapplying in this year.

I keep fluctuating from 159-165. Any advice on improving LR? When I BR the questions, I understand the concepts and why I got the question wrong but can't seem to get less than 6 wrong on each LR section.

Besides drilling, any techniques to use to improve on LR in less than 3.5 weeks?

trqdor

New

Re: stuck-LR advice?

Post by trqdor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:03 pm

this sounds really obvious, but you gotta know what the question stem is asking. no matter how well you know the argument and the structure and the flaw and the assumptions and the role that each sentence plays etc etc, you will get the question wrong if you don't answer the question (duh). this is why i read the question stem first. i find that by simply understanding exactly what the question stem is asking prepares me for what im about to read and what i should be looking for. the most obvious example of this is when i realize that the question stem is only asking me to identify the main conclusion, i can confidently go through the prompt not really looking to evaluate or be critical, but rather just identify.

reading the stem first and then attacking the stimulus is a personal choice i've made because i feel like it saves me time because im focused on what to look for. and i think being able to answer questions accurately and quickly is the key to a high score.

so my advice is work on speed. one way to work on speed (i've found) is to attack the stimulus with a good idea of what the stem says first. and ultimately, what's going to allow you to work on speed... is drilling. so there's no avoiding that. if you are correct in your claim that you understand the concepts and understand why you got the question wrong, then it might not be an issue of reading the stimulus carefully enough, but rather an issue of not reading the actual question carefully enough. besides, some stems can be inherently tricky.

idk just my take on a possible 'technique'

vkremez

New

Re: stuck-LR advice?

Post by vkremez » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:28 am

BM_1993-

Here's one SUPER important tip on how to read answer choices in LR:

"While you read answer choices, try to predict how the correct answer will look like"

Best of luck!

Vitali

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”