Complete Newbie to PreLaw and LSAT Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
prelawpapi

New

Complete Newbie to PreLaw and LSAT Prep

Post by prelawpapi » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I will try to make this short! My freshman and sophomore years in college were dedicated to pre-med, simply because my family and environment encouraged it, and I love to help people. I went through the motions--completing a healthy majority of all the science classes required for pre-med until I took organic chemistry and failed. I have never failed a class in my life, but I was very stressed out and realized I just was not happy at all and burdened. I seldom thought about the med schools I wanted to go to, I realized (as corny as this sounds), I was alive but not really living my life the way I wanted to. I then reevaluated my passions, some of my family and friends always said that I would make a good lawyer because of my personality, of course there is so much more to law than solely personality but natural abilities definitely won't hurt. I really enjoy helping people, speaking about social injustices, exploring laws and how to protect people and organizations etc. I just feel like law is a good fit for me, I also studied psychology so I initially wanted my JD/PhD but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm sorry this is so long! But I guess my main question is where do I start? I bought my first LSAT prep book, (princeton review practice tests), but other than that I have no idea what to do. Pre-med is a bit more friendly to me because a. it's all I know and b. it's easy to shadow a doctor or volunteer at a hospital but I don't exactly know how to shadow a lawyer or if that is possible. Any suggestions for someone new like me? thank you :)

MrBalloons

Bronze

Re: Complete Newbie to PreLaw and LSAT Prep

Post by MrBalloons » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:10 pm

prelawpapi wrote:Hi everyone,

I will try to make this short! My freshman and sophomore years in college were dedicated to pre-med, simply because my family and environment encouraged it, and I love to help people. I went through the motions--completing a healthy majority of all the science classes required for pre-med until I took organic chemistry and failed. I have never failed a class in my life, but I was very stressed out and realized I just was not happy at all and burdened. I seldom thought about the med schools I wanted to go to, I realized (as corny as this sounds), I was alive but not really living my life the way I wanted to. I then reevaluated my passions, some of my family and friends always said that I would make a good lawyer because of my personality, of course there is so much more to law than solely personality but natural abilities definitely won't hurt. I really enjoy helping people, speaking about social injustices, exploring laws and how to protect people and organizations etc. I just feel like law is a good fit for me, I also studied psychology so I initially wanted my JD/PhD but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm sorry this is so long! But I guess my main question is where do I start? I bought my first LSAT prep book, (princeton review practice tests), but other than that I have no idea what to do. Pre-med is a bit more friendly to me because a. it's all I know and b. it's easy to shadow a doctor or volunteer at a hospital but I don't exactly know how to shadow a lawyer or if that is possible. Any suggestions for someone new like me? thank you :)
I'm sure if you search around past threads you'll find similar topics with lots of discussion going on. Check that out first.

Also, think about a couple things. What would you want to do with a law degree? Look into what types of jobs there are/how much they pay/and your chances at getting them. Then think about your ability to pay for school once you get in. There's no sense in getting into six figure debt for a job making 50k (this happens to way too many people).

Once you've figured that kind of stuff out, if you decide you want to and have the means to pursue it, come back and check out some of the study guides on this site and get going. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time to prep for the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”