Seriously in need of advice on LSAT... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueprintJason

New

Re: Seriously in need of advice on LSAT...

Post by BlueprintJason » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:23 pm

This was covered, but I just wanted to reaffirm that the poster above that said sit the test without preparing is giving you really crappy advice. Do not sit for the exam until you are 100% ready to score your best.

I know a low diagnostic can hurt your spirits, but I think you'll find some serious improvement once you learn the ins and outs of the exam. If it's any help, I've had multiple students go up over 30 points. It can be done.

Good luck!

Samson Su

New

Post by Samson Su » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:If it helps, the 6 section ones really help with endurance. They're rough when you first start, but even now I feel like 5 sections is "short"
I'm really confused with this 4, 5, 6 section thing. I thought the real exam is just 4 sections. But I guess I'll get it the more I get into LSAT..

Binghamton1018

Bronze

Post by Binghamton1018 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Samson Su wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:If it helps, the 6 section ones really help with endurance. They're rough when you first start, but even now I feel like 5 sections is "short"
I'm really confused with this 4, 5, 6 section thing. I thought the real exam is just 4 sections. But I guess I'll get it the more I get into LSAT..
The real exam is 4 graded sections and 1 experimental section for a total of 5 sections (plus a writing sample.) The most successful members of TLS have studied with 5 or possibly 6 section tests for endurance-that is staying focused throughout the test and making test day seem "normal" because of the intensity of your prep. It looks like an incredible hurdle, but there are an enormous amount of resources and people willing to help on the website! Good luck and keep us posted!

Binghamton1018

Bronze

Post by Binghamton1018 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:09 pm

In addition to that and to echo some of the thoughts earlier in the thread: the logic games section of the LSAT is VERY learnable, there are even a host of resources available to assist you in learning the ins-and-outs of the games. With enough practice you'll be fine. To be honest: the general consensus on TLS is that -0 on logic games is not only entirely possible: but in reach for essentially everyone who puts in the proper work. After awhile, dare I say: the games are kinda fun. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samson Su

New

Post by Samson Su » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:50 am

Binghamton1018 wrote:
Samson Su wrote:
The real exam is 4 graded sections and 1 experimental section for a total of 5 sections (plus a writing sample.) The most successful members of TLS have studied with 5 or possibly 6 section tests for endurance-that is staying focused throughout the test and making test day seem "normal" because of the intensity of your prep. It looks like an incredible hurdle, but there are an enormous amount of resources and people willing to help on the website! Good luck and keep us posted!
Gotcha. So it really is 5 sections since nowadays you never know which one is the experimental until after the exam. With that being said, practicing on 4 while taking the real one on 5 does seem to be at a disadvantage. And it makes me feel better to know the games are learnable, guess my only issue is just the reading speed. At this point I am still at the very beginning of understanding and practicing LSAT, but I actually am able to get most of LR correct, except, I need WAY longer than 90 seconds per question. Otherwise It won't register with my brain, in other words, i won't know/comprehend what I am reading.. With RC it gets even worse on timing due to the much longer passages and questions. Is this normal? Let's say if I'm only slightly slower than time requirement, then I know i can get there with enough practice. But the thing is I read more slowly by a LONG shot, that's where feels really discouraging and hopeless to me, cuz I know I'll improve, but not sure if can improve THAT much on reading speed..

Thanks so much for all the comments and I appreciate you guys encouragements!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Samson Su wrote:
Otherwise It won't register with my brain, in other words, i won't know/comprehend what I am reading.. With RC it gets even worse on timing due to the much longer passages and questions. Is this normal? Let's say if I'm only slightly slower than time requirement, then I know i can get there with enough practice. But the thing is I read more slowly by a LONG shot, that's where feels really discouraging and hopeless to me, cuz I know I'll improve, but not sure if can improve THAT much on reading speed..

Thanks so much for all the comments and I appreciate you guys encouragements!
Another thing you might need to keep in mind is that the time constraints for the LSAT are tough for everybody and that changes how most people have to approach the test. If the RC passages prove too much for you to handle well in the 35 minutes, you may want to implement a strategy that emphasizes getting through all of the questions you can answer quickly and then guessing on others that are taking you too long. In an ideal scenario, you would have time to go back to the questions you had guessed on to actually answer them, but that will not always happen. It would be much better to get 20 right and guess on 15 than to only get through 25 questions and miss some of those.

Also keep in mind that the most important section is LR and if you can get LG down well too, RC doesn't have to be an awesome section for you to get a great score. If you could get all of LG right and say -6 or 7 total for LR, you could miss 10 of the RC questions and still hit the 160s. I'm not saying this is a ceiling for you by any means, but a 30 point improvement from your diagnostic would definitely be awesome. It would also be enough for you to be in the right numbers range for very good schools.

Good luck OP!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”