Why use MyLSN ?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NL2424

Silver

Why use MyLSN ??

Post by NL2424 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:46 am

Last edited by NL2424 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Re: Why use MyLSN ??

Post by jumbocolumbo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:55 am

zacboro wrote:So I searched my information through mylsn and also LSAC's GPAxLSAT calculator and the number are very different. On LSAC there are multiple schools which give me a likelihood around 25%, yet when I search it on MyLSN I get a likelihood of 100% ... When LSAC's website has so much more data to use and these numbers are so varied why is it that people use MyLSN? Doesn't it seem like it would give you false hope?? Looking for a discussion here or some insight.
I've been wondering about this also. The gaps are pretty significant. I feel like the data used for LSAC's calculator may have less of a problem with self-reporting because (and this is just a hunch) maybe people are more likely to report their acceptances than their denials on MyLSN. Interested to see some answers on this.

That being said it is useful knowing what kind of $ people are getting with similar numbers on MyLSN.

Also, does anyone know what years these two calculators pull their data from? How recent is it and does it take into account the changes that have taken place in the applicant pool since 2008?

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 am

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:22 am

LSAC isn't really helpful because it's just doing a medians calculation basically. It doesn't take into account who actually gets accepted. Mylsn is highly accurate because it's actual data of applicants.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Post by jumbocolumbo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:24 am

zacboro wrote:On MyLSN they pull data from whichever years you select, on LSAC they pull only from the previous year.

I'm just frustrated because a few of my goal schools were showing up as 100% on MyLSN and now I log onto LSAC and I find I only have a 25-40% chance at these schools. I know there are other factors that go into this other than LSAT/GPA but the gap is so significant. Before I was confident with my 169 now I don't know what to think.
I just realized I was using an entirely different probability calculator than MyLSN ... that pulls its data from MyLSN. Anecdotes in anecdotes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:31 am

1. Some schools don't show up on LSAC's predictor.

2. LSAC's predictor seems excessively conservative and appears to contradict TLS common wisdom. I question how accurate it actually is, even though they should have superior data.

For example, everyone says that if you're over both 75ths you'll get in (ignoring YS, cases of YP, and C&F issues), but the LSAC predictor doesn't reflect this. Moreover, for high numbers LSAC says that Duke, Cornell, Michigan, and UVA are significantly more selective than Harvard. Sure, UVA has a Virginia quota and YP exists, but I refuse to believe that someone with a 3.9/175 has close to a coin-flip chance at Duke and UVA. (Last year TLSer jbungles got a full-ride to UVA with lower numbers.)

And their prediction algorithm and data are hidden, so you have no idea what went into their predictions. MyLSN simply compares acceptances, waitlists, and denials, and tells you how many data points went into the calculation so you can judge its validity.

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:44 am

Generally

Gold

Post removed.

Post by Generally » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:46 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:52 am

jumbocolumbo wrote:
zacboro wrote:On MyLSN they pull data from whichever years you select, on LSAC they pull only from the previous year.

I'm just frustrated because a few of my goal schools were showing up as 100% on MyLSN and now I log onto LSAC and I find I only have a 25-40% chance at these schools. I know there are other factors that go into this other than LSAT/GPA but the gap is so significant. Before I was confident with my 169 now I don't know what to think.
I just realized I was using an entirely different probability calculator than MyLSN ... that pulls its data from MyLSN. Anecdotes in anecdotes.
Do you mean you've been using MyLSN (http://mylsn.info) which pulls its data from LSN (http://lawschoolnumbers.com)? Or is there some other website I don't know about?

God, I am going to get sued for trademark infringement. I don't even know how trademark infringement works, actually.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:55 am

jumbocolumbo wrote:

That's what makes it good. Smooth. Triple filtered for your enjoyment.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:58 am

Idk how accurate myLSN is but, LSAC essentially says if you are a splitter you are less than a coin flip to get into any top 10. Ugh, if LSAC is right I need to reevaluate...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 am

Either you use LSAC which is making a statistical guess, or you use MyLSN which shows you actual data points but may not be representative depending on sample size. You just have to apply and see what happens.

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Post by jumbocolumbo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:06 am

Robb wrote:Do you mean you've been using MyLSN (http://mylsn.info) which pulls its data from LSN (http://lawschoolnumbers.com)? Or is there some other website I don't know about?

God, I am going to get sued for trademark infringement. I don't even know how trademark infringement works, actually.
I've been using this: http://www.hourumd.com/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Generally

Gold

Post removed.

Post by Generally » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:17 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Post by jumbocolumbo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:20 am

Seamus887 wrote:
jumbocolumbo wrote:
Robb wrote:Do you mean you've been using MyLSN (http://mylsn.info) which pulls its data from LSN (http://lawschoolnumbers.com)? Or is there some other website I don't know about?

I've been using this: http://www.hourumd.com/
It seems there data is old, like 2010 though? I am going to go with mylsn is the most accurate of todays chances. Partly because it says I have a very solid chance of CCN :)
I'm having trouble with myLSN from my work computer (super dated browser) but I'll start playing around on there on lunch.
Confidence is everything.

whacka

Gold

Post removed.

Post by whacka » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:40 am

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:57 am

The lsac predictor is literally garbage. I'm surprised this discussion has carried on this long.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:59 am

whacka wrote:The LSAC calculator is excessively conservative for some reason. I just loaded up my stats and it has me around 50% for schools that I'm above both 75th percentiles. I don't know what criteria they use to assess it, but I think their mission is just to make you feel like shit unnecessarily.
I agree completely here. I kept my GPA and then just bumped my LSAT up a 176 and then a 178 and barely saw any movement in the likelihood percentage.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Clemenceau wrote:The lsac predictor is literally garbage. I'm surprised this discussion has carried on this long.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”