Should I retake in October? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LafLeopards

New

Should I retake in October?

Post by LafLeopards » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Just got back June score which was my first test. Got a 165. This goes with a 3.25 undergrad GPA (meh) and fairly high extracurricular involvement (but no athletics). I'm a white male. I live in West Virginia (attend undergrad in PA) and people keep telling me I should be happy going to WVU law school. I would not be. No offense to anyone that goes there, I just want to go to as highly ranked of a school as financially possible and hopefully get out of this state at the same time.

So, do I need to aim higher? My last three practice tests before the actual thing all came out 169s. The length of the passages on the June RC section caught me off guard and I missed 4 of the last 5 questions due to time issues in what is normally my best section.

It seems pretty obvious that I should retake right? If so, how should I prepare? I self studied for about three months exclusively with the Powerscore bibles, going from about a 157 diagnostic to the aforementioned 169s. Would a course be able to raise my (potential) score even beyond 169? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks y'all

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Should I retake in October?

Post by Rigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:16 pm

If you can achieve a 169+, then retake. Nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain. Don't settle.

Also, a course probably wouldn't help you too much given your range. Just diligently drill, self-study, & PT.

LafLeopards

New

Post by LafLeopards » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Rigo wrote:If you can achieve a 169+, then retake. Nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain. Don't settle.

Also, a course probably wouldn't help you too much given your range. Just diligently drill, self-study, & PT.
Is it true there's nothing to lose? Are there any schools out there that would look less favorably on a higher score if it only came after a second attempt?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:39 pm

LafLeopards wrote:
Rigo wrote:If you can achieve a 169+, then retake. Nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain. Don't settle.
Is it true there's nothing to lose? Are there any schools out there that would look less favorably on a higher score if it only came after a second attempt?
No there isn't & no there aren't. A 169 on a third attempt will always beat a 164 on the first attempt, all else being equal.

LafLeopards

New

Post by LafLeopards » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Let's say conservatively I get up to... A 168. What sort of school options could that open up, as opposed to the options that would realistically be open to me now? Would that be a huge difference maker? Any specific schools as a point of reference?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:29 pm

LafLeopards wrote:Let's say conservatively I get up to... A 168. What sort of school options could that open up, as opposed to the options that would realistically be open to me now? Would that be a huge difference maker? Any specific schools as a point of reference?
Massive difference. It's the difference between lower T14 and regionals.
Consult this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view?pli=1

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Plus the added strong likelihood of a WUSTL full ride.

LafLeopards

New

Post by LafLeopards » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Rigo wrote:Plus the added strong likelihood of a WUSTL full ride.
What does WUSTL mean? Sorry I'm still pretty new at this

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:31 pm

LafLeopards wrote:
Rigo wrote:Plus the added strong likelihood of a WUSTL full ride.
What does WUSTL mean? Sorry I'm still pretty new at this
Washington University of St. Louis. It's a financially generous regional Top 20 law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”