LSAT Prep Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
GoIrish21

New

LSAT Prep Help

Post by GoIrish21 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice on how to prep for the LSAT to get to where I want to be at. I am a 3.94 GPA student at a small (but generally well-regarded) liberal arts school in Iowa and am hoping to get into the University of Notre Dame's Law School. My lsat practice test scores have been all over the place. My first test I received a 148 score, which was pretty disappointing. Then, I recently took two tests where I scored a 160 on both tests which was a 7 point jump from my prior high score. Then on my last test I scored a 153. I do not know how to interpret these results. Can anyone make sense of this? Also, I score lowest on the Logic Games section of the test. Would you recommend the Powerscore Logic Games Bible? Should I get all the Powerscore books? I plan on taking the LSAT in December before I go abroad in the Spring.

Thanks for reading this and any help/advice would be welcomed.

KMart

Gold

Re: LSAT Prep Help

Post by KMart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 pm

The Bible is what I used to really help me improve the LG portion of the test.

How are you practicing your tests? Are in they similar conditions as to the real thing or not?

GoIrish21

New

Post by GoIrish21 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Yes I take the tests under the timed conditions.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Have you been doing lots of reviews with the erratic scores? It might be a problem with your review.

GoIrish21

New

Post by GoIrish21 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:19 pm

Yeah I usually go through all the questions I got wrong and analyze what the right answer was and why it was right. Is that how I should do this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:20 pm

GoIrish21 wrote:Yeah I usually go through all the questions I got wrong and analyze what the right answer was and why it was right. Is that how I should do this?
Sort of. Is this the beginning of your review? You're going to need to learn the fundamentals of the test and the various sections. Then you get to drill the hell out of different question types. Then you practice test. There's a lot of guides giving a much more organized and detailed structure, including which materials they think are best for you, on this site.

GoIrish21

New

Post by GoIrish21 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks I will look for those!

Manhattan Prep Matt

New

Post by Manhattan Prep Matt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:28 am

GoIrish21 wrote:Yeah I usually go through all the questions I got wrong and analyze what the right answer was and why it was right. Is that how I should do this?
That's 1 out of 4 questions I ask myself about the answers to review:
1) Why is the right answer right?
2) Why is my selected wrong answer wrong?
3) What about the wrong answer made me think it was right?
4) What about the right answer made me think it was wrong?

1 and 2 get you to understand the question. 3 and 4 get you to understand your faulty reasoning. 1 and 2 help you with the logic of the test. 3 and 4 make sure you don't fall for the same trap again.

There are more things I ask myself to review (What language in the argument should have led me to the correct answer? What language in the correct answer should have made me like it more? What language in the wrong answer should have led me to eliminate it?). But I think the most important question, at the end of everything else, is this:

Next time I see ________________, I will _________________.

This sets the trigger and action for how you're going to avoid the same trap in the future. I would literally write these out (I have a Strategy Log I give out to track all questions answered incorrectly or with uncertainty, or slowly) and, before sitting down to study, read over them with an eye to implementing them.

Monkey D Luffy

Bronze

Post by Monkey D Luffy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Manhattan Prep Matt wrote:
That's 1 out of 4 questions I ask myself about the answers to review:
1) Why is the right answer right?
2) Why is my selected wrong answer wrong?
3) What about the wrong answer made me think it was right?
4) What about the right answer made me think it was wrong?

1 and 2 get you to understand the question. 3 and 4 get you to understand your faulty reasoning. 1 and 2 help you with the logic of the test. 3 and 4 make sure you don't fall for the same trap again.

There are more things I ask myself to review (What language in the argument should have led me to the correct answer? What language in the correct answer should have made me like it more? What language in the wrong answer should have led me to eliminate it?). But I think the most important question, at the end of everything else, is this:

Next time I see ________________, I will _________________.

This sets the trigger and action for how you're going to avoid the same trap in the future. I would literally write these out (I have a Strategy Log I give out to track all questions answered incorrectly or with uncertainty, or slowly) and, before sitting down to study, read over them with an eye to implementing them.
Thanks for the informational advice!!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”