How long until you got fast at games / arguments ?

jaysan150

How long until you got fast at games / arguments ?

Postby jaysan150 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:20 pm

I currently study 2 to 4 hours a day excluding weekends . I have read both LG and LR power score bibles . I signed up for the October test . The game plan so far is first 2 months no time constraint . Second 2 months time constraint . I have pt 52-72 that I am slowly working through .

AnMzungu

Re: How long until you got fast at games / arguments ?

Postby AnMzungu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:38 am

Be careful with burnout/running out of testing materials. October is still a long way away. I started picking up real speed about two months into studying, and I was averaging about 10 hours a week.

I made my real progress via drilling, so I'd recommend that over just slamming through practice tests. Especially with the recent tests, stick with timed PTs (and blind review).

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:37 am

AnMzungu wrote:Be careful with burnout/running out of testing materials. October is still a long way away. I started picking up real speed about two months into studying, and I was averaging about 10 hours a week.

I made my real progress via drilling, so I'd recommend that over just slamming through practice tests. Especially with the recent tests, stick with timed PTs (and blind review).

jaysan150

Postby jaysan150 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 am

Yeah I was going to be careful with that . So how do you suggest I drill ? I am shooting for 160+

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 am

Just keep plugging away at it nonstop. If you feel a little burnout or reluctance to hit the books, then just take a few days offs to rest (similar strategy to physical exercise). However, when you start having dreams about arguments and games due to your nonstop thought process, then you know you are getting close, since this means your mind is basically taking all of this new awkward information you are giving it and internalizing it so that it becomes second nature. Just be tenacious and you will begin to feel all of these little 'steps' (that you previously had to consciously think about for each question) suddenly vanish, as it becomes instinct and intuition -- it will just be how you approach the test and no more strategies to think of.

jaysan150

Postby jaysan150 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Yeah I suddenly find myself making mini logic games in daily life . Like with street lights lol or stuff in my pocket . Like if I have my cell phone in my pocket nothing else goes anything with it . No keys or wallet lol

AnMzungu

Postby AnMzungu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 am

jaysan150 wrote:Yeah I was going to be careful with that . So how do you suggest I drill ? I am shooting for 160+

Buy the books that have logic game/logical reasoning/reading comprehension questions by type for prep tests 1-40 (should be two volumes for each section of the LSAT, so six books total). My drills were sets of 4 games, 10-15 if I was doing logical reasoning, and 2-4 for reading comprehension. After completing a drill do blind review, then check your answers, then learn where you went wrong/why you were confused by using the 7sage videos (logic games) or the Manhattan forums, where you can find members talking through basically every question. Your drill isn't "over" until you know every answer and why that answer is the correct one.

I think 160+ is a very attainable goal for anyone willing to put in the work, so keep at it and remember that real progress will be made in review, not answering questions.

jaysan150

Postby jaysan150 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am

^^^^^^^ Links to where I can buy this stuff ? Yes I agree . After I finish a game I go back and systematically look at the correct and incorrect answers .

GospelLeague

Postby GospelLeague » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:34 am

Accidentally came across on 7sage that three months is far from enough to master LSAT and I sort of start to panic. Jy Ping suggests studying for one year.

Until then I was pretty confident with myself.

BlueprintJason

Postby BlueprintJason » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:05 pm

jaysan150 wrote:I currently study 2 to 4 hours a day excluding weekends . I have read both LG and LR power score bibles . I signed up for the October test . The game plan so far is first 2 months no time constraint . Second 2 months time constraint . I have pt 52-72 that I am slowly working through .

Hey jaysan 150,

I'll just add something that I found helpful with regards to LG timing while studying that I have successfully employed with my own students.

First off, you are on the right track that focusing on accuracy first is the name of the game (lots of students make the mistake of not doing this too soon). However, with games especially, I would slightly adjust my approach to incorporating speed in a measured way at a slightly earlier stage. The reason for this suggestion is that games, unlike the other sections, isn't really difficult from an accuracy standpoint (save a few tricky buggers out there). At the beginning, it might be easy to make mistakes and miss questions as you are getting moving, but the real difficulty with games is the time element--almost everyone would go -0 with 45-60 minutes of time on the clock (not true of LR and RC).

Because of this, one way to start incorporating time a little earlier is to re-drill games that you have already done and reviewed untimed, but now with the clock on. So the basic process is that you do the game untimed as you are learning the game-type and strategies, etc. and then after a few days come back to it clean and see if you can do it in under 8:30 (maybe 7 or less if really easy and 9-10 if evil).

There are a couple of reasons why this works well. For one, you introduce the timing element in a less initially-frightening way, since you are already somewhat familiar with the how to do the game--it's like easing into the water rather than flinging yourself into the deep end. Another reason is that you get to review things that you just learned and reinforce the work you have been doing. Often, students move on to new things completely assuming that they learned the material they just covered sufficiently. This is a mistake. Continuous and systematic review of the concepts you have covered is a crucial part of the skill-building process.

On a similar note, going back and trying something again shows you what didn't really click the first time. You can patch up the holes more easily when you know that they are there. This is especially true of working on games for accuracy. Students will often work on them initially by brute forcing/constructing hypotheticals for every answer choice--of course you'll get it right, but you won't be doing it the fastest and most efficient way. You might find that going back to a game timed after doing it untimed requires you to adjust your approach and you will find better/more efficient ways of thinking about the situation that you can transfer to other similar games in the future.

Anyhow, good luck to you. If you need any games explained, don't hesitate posting over in the Blueprint forum. I'll be happy to help and provide another perspective on the game.

HTH

jaysan150

Postby jaysan150 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:15 pm

GospelLeague wrote:Accidentally came across on 7sage that three months is far from enough to master LSAT and I sort of start to panic. Jy Ping suggests studying for one year.

Until then I was pretty confident with myself.

Yeah I was looking at the how to score 160 plus thread at I seem to be on the right track devotion at least 4 months for prep time

AnMzungu

Postby AnMzungu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:26 pm

jaysan150 wrote:^^^^^^^ Links to where I can buy this stuff ? Yes I agree . After I finish a game I go back and systematically look at the correct and incorrect answers .

I got all of my books through Amazon. You can find the books by searching "LSAT Logical Reasoning by Type," "LSAT Reading Comprehension by Type," and "LSAT Logic Games by Type." Don't get Volume 3 of any of the book sets, as the questions in Volume 3 come from the more recent tests, which you should be saving for timed PTs.

On the question of study time, a year of studying strikes me as off base unless you have a long way to go (not than I'm an expert). I've generally heard of top scorers studying for between three and six months, and I spent around five months studying. It'll obviously vary from person to person, but I've gotta think that one would be better off studying extra hard for six months than dragging it out for a year (if for nothing else than for maintaining your sanity).

jaysan150

Postby jaysan150 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Yeah I did a Princeton review about 2 years ago and it was 160 hour course . I had a decent understanding but the bibles have enhanced my skills . So I think my goal is feasible

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”