Materials I need to begin my LSAT journey?

ballinyoseph

Materials I need to begin my LSAT journey?

Postby ballinyoseph » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 am

Looking for some recommendations on books to use / online courses to take.

-7sage - which package should I get? (Is there another online course I should take instead)
-I was thinking about getting Logic Games Bible
-I was thinking about getting the LSAT Trainer
-I was thinking about getting the past released LSAT tests (I think 3 in total, from amazon)
-Anything else?

I understand this is all in some thread or another, but I've read too many opinions its hard for me to discern which route to take.
I appreciate your help!

McGruff

Re: Materials I need to begin my LSAT journey?

Postby McGruff » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:52 pm

You want more than 3 old tests, but you probably don't need them yet. The bibles are outdated. Start with the LSAT Trainer.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:28 am

McGruff wrote:You want more than 3 old tests, but you probably don't need them yet. The bibles are outdated. Start with the LSAT Trainer.

What do you mean outdated?

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:56 am

JazzyMac wrote:
McGruff wrote:You want more than 3 old tests, but you probably don't need them yet. The bibles are outdated. Start with the LSAT Trainer.

No longer the best materials. I started with the Bibles and Nova, then did Manhattan, then 7sage, then LSAT Trainer and by the end I realized how misguided some of the Bible mindset is. They're still better than a lot of the stuff out there but they spend too much time teaching you about categories of games as determined by their own taxonomy that isn't all that helpful imo. I actually got better at the games when I stopped worrying about what kind of game I was doing, and instead just looked up the video for any game I couldn't do perfectly yet on 7sage and followed the 7sage method. If I was starting now I would just do LSAT Trainer and 7sage.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:22 am

McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:

No longer the best materials. I started with the Bibles and Nova, then did Manhattan, then 7sage, then LSAT Trainer and by the end I realized how misguided some of the Bible mindset is. They're still better than a lot of the stuff out there but they spend too much time teaching you about categories of games as determined by their own taxonomy that isn't all that helpful imo. I actually got better at the games when I stopped worrying about what kind of game I was doing, and instead just looked up the video for any game I couldn't do perfectly yet on 7sage and followed the 7sage method. If I was starting now I would just do LSAT Trainer and 7sage.

I keep reading that 7sage is the bees' knees, but it's hard enough for me to listen to my own thoughts after working all day, much less listening to someone else's thoughts. The only man's voice I want in my ear is the one who puts a ring on it.

Just saying.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 am

JazzyMac wrote:
McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:

I keep reading that 7sage is the bees' knees, but it's hard enough for me to listen to my own thoughts after working all day, much less listening to someone else's thoughts. The only man's voice I want in my ear is the one who puts a ring on it.

Just saying.

lol what on earth is that supposed to mean... if watching a youtube video to potentially save thousands of dollars in scholarships is too much work for you then you might want to seriously reconsider going to law school

AlexandraHope

Postby AlexandraHope » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Unsure what the other poster is talking bout,I've had great results with the LGB. I also watch the video's on 7sage after completing them for an alternative view.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:18 pm

I also enjoyed the LG Bible, although everyone is different.

OP - look into Cambridge packets for drilling materials and every old LSAT test. 3 is not going to cut it.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:23 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:41 pm

McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:
McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:

Just saying.

lol what on earth is that supposed to mean... if watching a youtube video to potentially save thousands of dollars in scholarships is too much work for you then you might want to seriously reconsider going to law school

Sniffles...I got my first "reconsider going to law school over some arbitrary reason". Sniffle, I feel like I really belong now. Did you really try to logically connect watching a video to saving money? :o So you've failed to consider that perhaps I watch other media outside of youtube. Or you've taken for granted that the only way to save thousands of dollars in scholarships is by 7sage (I'm sure others in these forums could throw holes in that logic).

But back on a serious note, you do realize that not everyone learns best by listening or watching right? That's why there are books. And pencils and whatnot.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:40 pm

JazzyMac wrote:
McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:
McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:

Just saying.

Sniffles...I got my first "reconsider going to law school over some arbitrary reason". Sniffle, I feel like I really belong now. Did you really try to logically connect watching a video to saving money? :o So you've failed to consider that perhaps I watch other media outside of youtube. Or you've taken for granted that the only way to save thousands of dollars in scholarships is by 7sage (I'm sure others in these forums could throw holes in that logic).

But back on a serious note, you do realize that not everyone learns best by listening or watching right? That's why there are books. And pencils and whatnot.

Fair enough, do what works for you. But actually do it. I worry about someone's dedication when they imply that listening to J.Y. explain logic games is too hard (and not that it isn't how they learn best) "after working all day", since my version of working all day doesn't have an after. But it sounds like you really belong on TLS, and it certainly sounds like you have lots of work to do. I'd suggest starting here.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:29 am

McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:
McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:
McGruff wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:

Just saying.

Fair enough, do what works for you. But actually do it. I worry about someone's dedication when they imply that listening to J.Y. explain logic games is too hard (and not that it isn't how they learn best) "after working all day", since my version of working all day doesn't have an after. But it sounds like you really belong on TLS, and it certainly sounds like you have lots of work to do. I'd suggest starting here.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”