Should I cancel?

User avatar
ihenry
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

Should I cancel?

Postby ihenry » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:31 am

Note: thread from an international.

I just took my June LSAT today (in Asia) and it felt HORRIBLE. Didn't sleep well last night and I think I may be getting a cold. I had two games section and the second one threw me off. I started my preparation with PTs in 90's so I am usually perfect on recent games, but that section, in particular the last game, was nasty. Turned out however, that one was experimental, but my subsequent performance was impacted. I at least screwed an RC.

It appears the overwhelming consensus on TLS is against cancelling, but I'm here for additional reassurance. I don't have a reportable GPA so my LSAT would count more. To maximize my chance of admission and scholarship I will have to take again in, say, October. I've been PTing in mid 170, sometimes due to careless mistakes.

My question is, ugh, in the subject line. Specifically, will a low score with a high score like 175 at a later date keep me out of a school that I could be in with a cancellation + 175? Thanks!
Last edited by ihenry on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rachelql
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby rachelql » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:57 am

Hi!

Do you remember what was the second games section? the experimental one? Also do you have a link to the Feb 2013 paper? or do you know what prep test that was?

I am so sorry for not responding to your question but asking for additional info. I sincerely do not know if cancelling is the right thing to do or not. At the same time, I screwed up the second game section real bad as well but I am not sure if we have the same order of games. Desperate to know if that was the experimental one. Hopefully others could provide a better answer to your question. and Thanks in advance for your answer!

User avatar
ihenry
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby ihenry » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:27 am

rachelql wrote:Hi!

Do you remember what was the second games section? the experimental one? Also do you have a link to the Feb 2013 paper? or do you know what prep test that was?

I am so sorry for not responding to your question but asking for additional info. I sincerely do not know if cancelling is the right thing to do or not. At the same time, I screwed up the second game section real bad as well but I am not sure if we have the same order of games. Desperate to know if that was the experimental one. Hopefully others could provide a better answer to your question. and Thanks in advance for your answer!


While LSAC doesn't seem to take internationals too seriously, guess we shouldn't openly discuss this...

Replied your PM but we probably shouldn't let discussion go along this direction.

jocelyn6663
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby jocelyn6663 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:09 am

Hi Henry, guess we all have experimental games. I do feel that my second game is harder.
Rumor saids if the game section is harder, the curve will be lenient, I don't know whether that's 100% true, though.

And I think most schools only consider your highest score.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Indifference » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:58 am

ihenry wrote:Note: thread from an international.

I just took my June LSAT today (in Asia) and it felt HORRIBLE. Didn't sleep well last night and I think I may be getting a cold. I had two games section and the second one threw me off. I started my preparation with PTs in 90's so I am usually perfect on recent games, but that section, in particular the last game, was nasty. Turned out however, that one was experimental (I did some research on google and found it was Feb 2013 paper), but my subsequent performance was impacted. I at least screwed an RC.

It appears the overwhelming consensus on TLS is against cancelling, but I'm here for additional reassurance. I don't have a reportable GPA so my LSAT would count more. To maximize my chance of admission and scholarship I will have to take again in, say, October. I've been PTing in mid 170, sometimes due to careless mistakes.

My question is, ugh, in the subject line. Specifically, will a low score with a high score like 175 at a later date keep me out of a school that I could be in with a cancellation + 175? Thanks!


No reason to cancel. Everyone will take your highest score. The only school that might care about multiple takes is Yale, and even then I doubt it would be a deal breaker. If you need to retake, retake, but don't cancel a score; I am of the opinion there is no upside to doing so.

arcticsun
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:09 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby arcticsun » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:50 am

mujiali wrote:
ihenry wrote:Note: thread from an international.

I just took my June LSAT today (in Asia) and it felt HORRIBLE. Didn't sleep well last night and I think I may be getting a cold. I had two games section and the second one threw me off. I started my preparation with PTs in 90's so I am usually perfect on recent games, but that section, in particular the last game, was nasty. Turned out however, that one was experimental (I did some research on google and found it was Feb 2013 paper), but my subsequent performance was impacted. I at least screwed an RC.

It appears the overwhelming consensus on TLS is against cancelling, but I'm here for additional reassurance. I don't have a reportable GPA so my LSAT would count more. To maximize my chance of admission and scholarship I will have to take again in, say, October. I've been PTing in mid 170, sometimes due to careless mistakes.

My question is, ugh, in the subject line. Specifically, will a low score with a high score like 175 at a later date keep me out of a school that I could be in with a cancellation + 175? Thanks!


No reason to cancel. Everyone will take your highest score. The only school that might care about multiple takes is Yale, and even then I doubt it would be a deal breaker. If you need to retake, retake, but don't cancel a score; I am of the opinion there is no upside to doing so.

Really? No upside doing so?
I also took June 2015 in Asia and am considering whether to cancel it, though I kinda want to know how exactly I've screwed the test.

User avatar
ihenry
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby ihenry » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:14 am

arcticsun wrote:
mujiali wrote:
ihenry wrote:Note: thread from an international.

I just took my June LSAT today (in Asia) and it felt HORRIBLE. Didn't sleep well last night and I think I may be getting a cold. I had two games section and the second one threw me off. I started my preparation with PTs in 90's so I am usually perfect on recent games, but that section, in particular the last game, was nasty. Turned out however, that one was experimental (I did some research on google and found it was Feb 2013 paper), but my subsequent performance was impacted. I at least screwed an RC.

It appears the overwhelming consensus on TLS is against cancelling, but I'm here for additional reassurance. I don't have a reportable GPA so my LSAT would count more. To maximize my chance of admission and scholarship I will have to take again in, say, October. I've been PTing in mid 170, sometimes due to careless mistakes.

My question is, ugh, in the subject line. Specifically, will a low score with a high score like 175 at a later date keep me out of a school that I could be in with a cancellation + 175? Thanks!


No reason to cancel. Everyone will take your highest score. The only school that might care about multiple takes is Yale, and even then I doubt it would be a deal breaker. If you need to retake, retake, but don't cancel a score; I am of the opinion there is no upside to doing so.

Really? No upside doing so?
I also took June 2015 in Asia and am considering whether to cancel it, though I kinda want to know how exactly I've screwed the test.


I decided not to cancel. My thought is that schools know that a cancelation means you have taken the test but just don't want the score -- your record would not be "clean" anyway, and they may wonder exactly how terribly you bombed the test... (Seems, though, either way it doesn't matter.) Besides, I *may* lose a decent score. Besides, if I cancel, I may feel too stressed in October and if things just don't go perfectly, for every single section, I may just freak out.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Indifference » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 pm

The schools don't care. I repeat, they do not care. At all. They take and report your highest score.

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby nlee10 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Dont do it unless you know you bombed an entire section or something. On the June test (North America one), I had to entirely guess on the last game because it was supposedly "hard". Thought about canceling because of that game but decided to stick through it and I improved by 3 points from Feb!

User avatar
ihenry
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby ihenry » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:55 am

mujiali wrote:The schools don't care. I repeat, they do not care. At all. They take and report your highest score.


Thanks, that is reassuring. Maybe I shouldn't have been so anxious on the test day :oops:

kangaroo430
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby kangaroo430 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:39 am

Hi,

I am also an international student from China. I took the June LSAT in U.S. I felt really bad after the test, but the score was not that bad. My practice range was 167ish to 171/172, and my score was 166. It was a little bit disappointing but not that bad. I do not think you should cancel. Even if the score turned out badly, it is not going to negatively affect your application whatsoever. And who knows, you may have gotten all hard questions and scored really high.

Procyon
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:23 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Procyon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 am

Illness is maybe the only situation for which I would cancel but only if it felt serious and if I knew I could handle a retake. Doing it again is very draining.

User avatar
ihenry
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby ihenry » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:16 pm

kangaroo430 wrote:Hi,

I am also an international student from China. I took the June LSAT in U.S. I felt really bad after the test, but the score was not that bad. My practice range was 167ish to 171/172, and my score was 166. It was a little bit disappointing but not that bad. I do not think you should cancel. Even if the score turned out badly, it is not going to negatively affect your application whatsoever. And who knows, you may have gotten all hard questions and scored really high.


Thanks dude :)

noticevl
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby noticevl » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:25 am

I cancelled my score and I firmly believe that I wasn't prepared so there was no reason to keep my score. If you feel like you could have done 5 points better than retake it. Scholarship money and getting into the right school is crucial.

User avatar
ihenry
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby ihenry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I got back my score today and it was a ???. I'm so glad I didn't cancel; although it is definitely on the lower range of my PT and I will probably be retaking, it gives me significant psychological reassurance for the application and the retake.
Last edited by ihenry on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Indifference » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:39 am

ihenry wrote:Hi all,

I got back my score today and it was a 172. I'm so glad I didn't cancel; although it is definitely on the lower range of my PT and I will probably be retaking, it gives me significant psychological reassurance for the application and the retake.


yeah no one is going to care if your lowest score is a 172. You are in great shape. Best of luck with the retake!

rachelql
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby rachelql » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:34 am

Congrats Henry! And yeah, If you got a 172 under those conditions, there's a great chance you'll score 175+ on retake! Best of luck! And thanks so much for the help before. :D

ihenry wrote:Hi all,

I got back my score today and it was a 172. I'm so glad I didn't cancel; although it is definitely on the lower range of my PT and I will probably be retaking, it gives me significant psychological reassurance for the application and the retake.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests