Careless Mistakes

GospelLeague

Careless Mistakes

Postby GospelLeague » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:35 pm

I've been drilling LG Cambridge bundle for the past month and now I can almost finish 80% of the linear and grouping games within the allocated time, but very often I make careless mistakes, as much as 1-2 per game set. Is it because I haven't practiced enough?

I missed -14 LG on cold diagnostic and now although I think I DO make some progress, keep making careless mistakes really bothers me.

Recently I've been drilling LR and the same problem also occurs, though less often.

Anyway in a similar shape and would offer help? Thanks!

jumbo2016

Re: Careless Mistakes

Postby jumbo2016 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 pm

you mean like accidentally inverting a rule, stuff like that? Yeah I did that a lot it was really frustrating. The only advice I have is just to get in the habit of reading the rules super carefully and checking them against your diagram. The time it takes is worth it

jaysan150

Postby jaysan150 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:31 pm

Same here after you make the same mistakes over and over again lol eventually you'll learn

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:25 pm

Quoting myself:
McGruff wrote:
I wrote:Regarding stupid mistakes, http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Reso ... e=mistakes is a great article called "Stop Making Stupid Mistakes" that TLS1776 links to in his guide. I taped it up next to my desk and reviewed it constantly and I am confident that it saved me points on the exam because, at a certain point, thoughtless mistakes become your biggest problem. That article's advice, particularly the 'Read problem – do question – check that your solution is exactly what the question asks for – mark your answer – next question' sequence, is hard to follow rigorously and easy to cut corners on. DON'T CUT CORNERS. Practice this sequence, the simple method of double-checking that you read the question correctly before marking your answer, on simple questions/games before doing it on mentally taxing ones solely for the purpose of getting the technique down.

BUT - a caveat - be VERY careful when simply dismissing something as a "stupid mistake". It is all too easy to say "oh I missed this question because I wasn't thinking" or "I missed this question because I got confused" but such descriptions are really damaging to your progress because they make you THINK you're understanding what tripped you up when really you're failing to explain anything. For EVERY wrong answer, you need to know 1) why the wrong answers that tempted you weren't obviously wrong and 2) why the right answer wasn't obviously right. There are, really, no stupid mistakes. Every mistake can be more specifically and more helpfully described by looking at the particulars of what tripped you up. Sometimes it's hard to remember what tripped you up about a specific question, which is why same-day type-up is really helpful. You want to go over what made you mess up while it's still fresh in your mind, and to articulate what made you mess up AS THOROUGHLY AS POSSIBLE so that you can read it later and further solidify in your mind what to watch out for in the future.

The cliffs of that quote is 1) That linked article is a good way to minimize stupid mistakes but 2) Don't just call any mistakes 'stupid mistakes' and leave it at that, DIG IN and review what your mindset was and ANY generalizations you can abstract from your experience, which is why 3) doing the first review type-up is best done the same day as when you take the PT, so you can type up the lessons of each mistake most comprehensively and go over it later ... .

Actually go to that link and read that article. You need to practice the physical act of going back and forth between your answer sheet and your game and making sure that (1) the letter you meant to bubble in is the letter that you actually bubbled in, and (2) the question you answered is the question actually being asked. This is a PHYSICAL act, you need to practice it with EASY problems first, it's easiest to work only on one habit at a time. Then, when you're focusing on a hard problem, the PHYSICAL acts of going back between the bubble and the chosen answer, and the question-on-the-page and the question-in-your-head, will be easier. hth

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:12 am

Whenever I generate a working hypothetical to a game I check it vs all the rules 1-by-1. You also need to remember not to get greedy. Don't rule out answers because they feel implausible. Only rule them out once you're satisfied you've proven them wrong.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”