Ebooks or paper practice

My_dalyn

Ebooks or paper practice

Postby My_dalyn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:17 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm prepping for the October 2015 LSAT. Are there any opinions on prepping using ebooks vs paper practice? Thanks!

RZ5646

Re: Ebooks or paper practice

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:24 pm

My_dalyn wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm prepping for the October 2015 LSAT. Are there any opinions on prepping using ebooks vs paper practice? Thanks!

Definitely print out LG and RC. I suppose you could practice LR without writing anything, but understand that it won't be the same as doing a real LR section.

For reasons I explained in a previous post, physically interacting with the test is a major part of taking the LSAT.

KMart

Postby KMart » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:40 pm

If you can take handwritten notes on your eBooks, I know some apps with the iPad allow this, then I don't see a difference. If you can't take those notes on whatever device you're using then you have to print. It'll be hard to truly interact with the test if you can't.

jumbo2016

Postby jumbo2016 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 pm

I would definitely use paper to practice, as the actual test will be on paper. You want to get as close to the real thing as possible.

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Paper. But, that being said, I was trying to leave my prep books unmarked for reselling, so I actually worked through the problems in a notebook instead and probably would've been fine with the ebooks. I hate writing in books as a rule so it didn't bother me to be switching all the time but your mileage may vary.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:53 pm

oldercoldervoice wrote:I was trying to leave my prep books unmarked for reselling, so I actually worked through the problems in a notebook instead and probably would've been fine with the ebooks.

I wish I had done this. Now I have $100s spent on books with zero resale value because every page is marked up.

BlueprintJason

Postby BlueprintJason » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:16 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:I would definitely use paper to practice, as the actual test will be on paper. You want to get as close to the real thing as possible.

I think this is TCR. I think simulating as much of testing conditions as possible is very important. I've had students that have come to me and said that they did things like practice writing in pen and not bubbling until the test (bad idea) and this really threw off their game. Always practice under test conditions if you can--pen and pencil, timing, next to smelly people in the public library, etc.

At the same time, I agree with the other posters on here recommending that you don't write on original materials, especially at the beginning; because you'll probably want to retry things later on to make sure that you really got it. I make my students redo any questions that they have any trouble with at the beginning of their prep after about a weeklong forgetting-period. Review is really the best way to start seeing the patterns and making sure you aren't leaving any exposed holes in your methods.

Once you are getting down to taking full prep tests, you should definitely be writing directly on the tests like you will on test day, but if you are doing section drilling early in your prep, notebook paper seems ok (and retaining re-sell value is never a bad thing).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”