Can I gain speed? if yes, how?

dyingoflsat

Can I gain speed? if yes, how?

Postby dyingoflsat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:23 am

When I do a timed PT, I miss almost half of the questions and end up with high 130s. When I redo the test untimed, I get high 160s!
Is there a suggestion where I can improve my speed? Drilling may increase my speed, but can it be that much improvement?

Clemenceau

Re: Can I gain speed? if yes, how?

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 am

Drilling certainly can increase your speed. Sounds like you're probably a slow reader though. Not sure how much you can change that at this point.

whacka

Postby whacka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:35 am

The only thing that will increase your speed is practice. Untimed practice can increase your speed by familiarizing you with the concepts, which will naturally allow you to work out answers faster, but what you really need to timed drilling. Your brain needs to associate doing LSAT questions correctly with doing them quickly. So make sure you drill timed. You can't practice untimed and expect yourself to flip the switch when you PT

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:44 am

Having a specific strategy for attacking questions helps. For instance, knowing which LR question types contain an argument and which don't. On RC, you must read for structure then paraphrase and anticipate answers as you answer certain, but not all, questions. If you get good on RC, you even start to anticipate how a passage is structured.

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 am

It appears you have enough natural ability to eventually do well on the test if you can score in the 160's untimed with little or no preparation. I suggest you start prepping with LG, LR and RC guides and/or courses, while continually drilling untimed so you can get a better 'feel' for the test and all of the specific questions. Get a stopwatch or timer of some sort and just keep track of your time consumption but I wouldn't strictly limit yourself for awhile. For me, timing came with getting better in general. If you consistently push yourself but take as much time as you need to finish the questions/review, you might be able to start completing sections within the 35 min limit. Thereafter, start PTing and fine-tune your strategy. However, the amount of time it takes to progress through all of the aforementioned stages is dependent on the individual so be flexible. Good luck.

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:02 am

Also, if you are having trouble with timing as a result of reading speed, you can google some methods that help with this and most of them won't affect comprehension. Before taking the test, I read dense works in philosophy, economics, and politics daily for 10-12 months using some of these techniques (such as, refraining from sub-vocalization, controlled eye movements, altering depth/perspective in regard to the page, etc.), which helped tremendously despite the tediousness. Afterwards, I focused on changing how I approached the arguments, data and words on the page. This was also quite a process. Try downloading one of the dozen or so apps that allow for any article/book/magazine to be flashed across the screen at a desired speed. Then, you can increase the speed at which it flashes each individual word, thus, further eliminating sub-vocalization (a principal cause of slow reading speed). Remember, changing how you read is somewhat like changing how you walk, so be patient; but it can be done.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:24 am

search.php?keywords=drilling+phase+2&terms=all&author=jeffort&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=-1&t=0&submit=Search

This advice by Jeffort in different threads about drilling/timing will probably be the best advice for you. A part of your answer depends on where you are in terms of you prep. I would assume if you're scoring in the 130's timed, you have not been preparing for a long time. This will help a lot. In these different threads Jeffort emphasizes the phase approach. Take a look, it really helped me to think about my LSAT prep in this way.

dyingoflsat

Postby dyingoflsat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Thank you all :)

Op_Diom, I will start doing what you suggested. I read a post on lsathacks about a website that helps me do what you suggested. My problem is, when I read the stimulus under timed constraints, it seems as if I haven't read anything. I can't relate the sentences.

For practice drilling, I was advised to do section by section so my mind learns how to switch quickly then do the categorized by type questiosn only for the questions I do bad in. What do you suggest?

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:38 pm

dyingoflsat wrote:Thank you all :)

Op_Diom, I will start doing what you suggested. I read a post on lsathacks about a website that helps me do what you suggested. My problem is, when I read the stimulus under timed constraints, it seems as if I haven't read anything. I can't relate the sentences.

For practice drilling, I was advised to do section by section so my mind learns how to switch quickly then do the categorized by type questiosn only for the questions I do bad in. What do you suggest?

I think I understand what ur saying. It's like you're trying so hard to understand what you're reading, and it's just not sinking in..and at the same time....the clock is ticking, ticking, ticking?? I think what whackasaid is most important. You prob. Have to get your brain to the point where it can comprehend this stuff faster...which means probably means drilling timed.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Op_Diom

Postby Op_Diom » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 pm

dyingoflsat wrote:Thank you all :)

This is a common problem. The best way to fix it is with your imagination. Try to mentally illustrate each stimulus, argument, and data set as you take it all in, instead of mentally sounding out each word. This test is a test of relationships, in general. Hence, for each stimulus, picture your task in terms of a given relationship (for instance in weaken questions: how can I best mess up this process -- this thing which impacts this other thing -- which would harm the conclusion), and likewise for arguments (except in a more content-specific way). It is difficult to memorize random words that don't have a great deal of meaning, so give them meaning through envisioning how they are related. That should help increase comprehension, along with speed.

Also, your plan for drilling looks pretty good overall. Do full sections, without timing yourself, then find your weaknesses and troublesome question types. Then drill the hell out of them. Afterwards, review each mistake and difficult question thoroughly. Find the correlations between misses and write it down so you can internalize and correct your common errors. Thereafter, begin timed sections/PTing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”