Trouble with Questions 11-20 on LR

RamTitan

Trouble with Questions 11-20 on LR

Postby RamTitan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:20 pm

So, on my most recent practice LSAT I got 6 questions wrong in both of the middle sections of the Logical Reasoning portions of the exam. I just read that questions 1-10 and 21-25 are the easiest parts of the exam; is that true? If not, what could be my problem with screwing up the middle parts? Getting too confident and working too quickly (I typically have 10 minutes left on LR sections)?

I've also noticed that I have a tendency to get assumption, conclusion, flaw, and role of a claim questions wrong. I think I've found what I need to do to correct assumptions (need to negate answer choices to find the one that destroys an argument). I found some key words that typically indicate conclusions, but I found that this is not a hard and fast rule.

Basically, I'm asking for general tips on the LR section; are there any tricks I should know for attacking the questions, pacing strategies, etc.
As well as tips for finding quick ways to spot flaws in arguments

RamTitan

Re: Trouble with Questions 11-20 on LR

Postby RamTitan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Also, I recently read to not read the question stems before reading the passage. Is that in general agreement? I thought reading the stems would be helpful so that way you know what you're looking for when reading the passage (but I have not yet applied this new approach).

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:01 pm

RamTitan wrote:Also, I recently read to not read the question stems before reading the passage. Is that in general agreement? I thought reading the stems would be helpful so that way you know what you're looking for when reading the passage (but I have not yet applied this new approach).

This is a matter of endless debate. I think stem-first might have a slight edge, but I do stim-first and do just fine. It really doesn't matter. If you've already established a habit of reading one first, it's not worth trying to change now.

And yes, the difficulty generally increases throughout the section except that sometimes the very last questions are a bit easier.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:24 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Postby RamTitan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I wouldn't put much stock into different question numbers corresponding to degrees of difficulty. I would focus more on the types of questions you are finding difficult and the trap choices you are falling into.

I'd say take another test or two. Do them timed but also review they untimed before you check to see the questions you've missed. Log the tests and review a prep book for the specific question types you're having issues with. Once you review them you want to drill a bunch of each of those questions. This is generally done with Cambridge packets.

Wow, those packets are bomb. Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”