On Reading Comprehension, Are there question types? (please read)

Jimlaw123

On Reading Comprehension, Are there question types? (please read)

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Hello to all,

To those that are studying, I hope it's going well. I have a question, or a thought process. I know in RC they have some certain questions types, like the "main point" question, my question is, Is there a particular way to answer each question type? Like for LR? For instance if we have a " main point" type, is there a certain thing to look for? a certain type of statement, or a certain way to find the answer for each type? ? Reading comprehension was my worst section last time I took the LSAT. One of the reason's I felt I didn't do well in it was that I didn't quite understand what they were asking me in some of the questions. I was just wondering if anyone that has scored a 170+ knew if there were certain type of ways to answer certain question types? or are some types found in the same spot? Also, what type of question is each type asking towards the passage? If there is a certain way to find, or answer question types in RC, can we compile a list, or try and figure it out? Why don't we compile examples of it or something, and get to figuring out how to answer them. Just a thought I had to help the group. I could be completely wrong, and just be a dunce.

But I just had a thought that if this is a standardized test, and it test's certain elements, there has to be a formula or criteria they are following with each type of Reading comprehension question. I read from someone on this site that he took Reading Comp. "like it was a Logic game", well if that's the case, they're must be a formula to answering these questions, or at the very least, "Question types" like LR.... Well, just a thought I had.

Also thinking of going with Velocity (Starting this weekend), is Dave Hall good? If anyone has taken it, how is his private tutoring? Well, please get back to me, and good luck!
Last edited by Jimlaw123 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimlaw123

Re: On Reading Comprehension, Are there question types? (please read)

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 pm

I guess not... for some reason everyone is always mum, or cannot help on reading comp. I don't understand that, any replies can be forwarded to me, or just please answer around here. Thanks again.

Petrichor

Postby Petrichor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:30 pm

LSAC provides a pretty thorough overview of question types that pop up: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/prep/reading-comprehension

The main idea or primary purpose
Information that is explicitly stated
Information or ideas that can be inferred
The meaning or purpose of words or phrases as used in context
The organization or structure
The application of information in the selection to a new context
Principles that function in the selection
Analogies to claims or arguments in the selection
An author's attitude as revealed in the tone of a passage or the language used
The impact of new information on claims or arguments in the selection

Jimlaw123

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Petrichor- I understand that, I guess my question is, the best way to answer each of the questions. There has to be a faster way, a better way, a more thorough way to answer these questions, I guess is more my question. It's not as simple as just "reading the passage" because if it was, people wouldn't be abysmal at it, or consider it the hardest section to improve on. I guess is my point.

Jimlaw123

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 pm

I altered the original question to have it come across the right way, those whom can help, please do. Thanks.

Petrichor

Postby Petrichor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:25 pm

a lot of it comes down to reading fast and retaining information, especially for questions that asks for explicitly mentioned/not mentioned aspects. some questions that are inference related can be like LR types. i think the best way to improve is just to read a lot and do a lot of RC questions, the earlier PTs had pretty easy RC sections while the later PTs can be a pain, RC was my strongest section starting out so I didn't focus on it much and paid for it down the road. getting better at elimination really helps, some answer choices are subtle in difference.

Jimlaw123

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:14 pm

Petrichor- Thanks. I'm starting this weekend, right now I'm just looking at flash cards of LSAT words, and things to know. Thanks again, I'll be on it.( What should I read? Economics books? What? To get used to the terminology, or denseness of the words?)

Petrichor

Postby Petrichor » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:21 am

I never read the economist, I am still in school so I get plenty of academic journals for class assignments and read the new york times on a daily basis. the reading are really varied but you tend to get a good dose of science, law, culture/art and economics.

The reading section is often dense so not getting tired/sleep is always helpful. Rarely do vocabulary present a problem, most time the meaning will be in the context so you don't need to know an exact definition. Other things that are helpful are things like keeping track of the pieces, the scientific passages often try to explain a process so knowing what happens when and why is essential for a good score.

Alex93

Postby Alex93 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:22 am

There is a way to attack each question type, the Trainer put's forth how quite nicely. Put to sum it up real quick: try to come up with reasons why an answer choice is wrong and eliminate. If there are 1-2 standing, choose the one that doesn't overextend/requires more of a leap of faith. Maybe you should get Manhattan RC. I haven't started it yet, but heard it works pretty well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”