LR Studying: Timing vs Accuracy Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lollsat

New

LR Studying: Timing vs Accuracy

Post by lollsat » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm doing timed LR sections now after months of drilling. It used to take me about 45-50min to finish the section scoring -5 up to -9 wrong. After drilling some more and going through Manhattan, I'm finishing between 30-35min now with about -3 to -5 wrong. I plan to continue doing timed sections (currently on PT 42), but my biggest weakness right now is that it's really difficult for me to answer questions correctly on time. It takes me too long to get a sense of a stimulus and choose the CR, it really sucks because I don't find the questions particularly difficult although they're very tricky. I'm falling for the LSAT writer's traps because I can't analyze a question quickly enough. I'm finishing around 35min so I feel rushed.

How does one become faster without sacrificing accuracy on this section? Is it just a matter of doing more thereby gaining experience and building that speed and accuracy overtime? I've done about 8 timed sections so far starting with PT 36.

ihenry

Silver

Re: LR Studying: Timing vs Accuracy

Post by ihenry » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Same problem here. I used to finish in ~35 minutes excluding bubbling and go -0 or -1. Knowing this is not enough I tried to increase the speed and now I can finish in ~30 minutes but often go -3. What most concerns me is that whenever I see the correct answer, I immediately know where I went wrong. (I'm taking preptest sequentially from the beginning, so it could also be the case that newer PTs are trickier.)

My experience is that it would be better to slow down during Q15-Q22 range -- that's where most traps/reasoning-intensive questions are. So you may still INCREASE your speed and preferrably kill first 15 Qs in 15-18 minutes, and take your time to read hyper close for the rest.

And it goes without saying to keep learning from your mistakes.

lollsat

New

Re: LR Studying: Timing vs Accuracy

Post by lollsat » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:21 pm

I appreciate your response. I found this gold mine by Jeffort, the LSAT/teacher/tutor/master :) for anyone that needs it: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/s ... mit=Search

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”