Which course is best to take? Or should I even take a course? 2015 LSAT

Jimlaw123

Which course is best to take? Or should I even take a course? 2015 LSAT

Postby Jimlaw123 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Hello to all,

Thanks in advance for the advise. I am thinking of taking the October LSAT (or September). I took blueprint 2 years ago and I didn't really like it. I then took Test Masters online, and it was alright. I got on my last LSAT test a 150. I know the section I did horrible on was the RC. I didn't get to the final passage, and I had to guess on most of it. I'm trying to get above a 170 and I'm looking to do an entire different strategy and go a different route with it it this time. I'm looking to start studying tomorrow.

I was looking for a private tutor, but I don't know if that will be feasible (due to cost and location). I know the best teachers are in the east coast or in Southern California, and I am in the northwest (Seattle), so I'm looking to get a teacher if any of you could recommend a person.

How do you guys feel about Velocity test prep? I spoke with Dave Hall, he seemed nice and knowledgeable, but he was busy. He told me to enroll in his online course, and maybe we can set up personal time in a month from now. Have any of you taken his course? What are it's pro's and cons vs Blue Print and Testmasters? Also, What is your advice on Reading comprehension? That is my worst section by far. My LG were decent (-3-5), my LR was alright (-3-7) on each section. But my RC was abysmal. Please let me know what you think is best, any books, or anything I should look at. This is my last and final time ever taking this test. I have taken it 3 times.(The first 2 times was 3 years ago), and I'm looking to hopefully get above a 170. At one point I was averaging a 161 (this was when I had a private tutor, over 2 years ago). But I haven't seen this person since then, and I lost her contact. Any help would be appreciated, and I would love to join a study group. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Sincerely, Jimlaw123

Danimals18

Re: Which course is best to take? Or should I even take a course? 2015 LSAT

Postby Danimals18 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Last edited by Danimals18 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Classes are a waste of money.

jumbo2016

Postby jumbo2016 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:14 pm

If you're a person who can sit down and make themselves study, then you might not need to take a class. The benefit for most people is that the class forces them to study.

If RC is your weakness, you should probably either self-study or have a private tutor. From what I understand, RC tends to be the section that people improve the least on, and most courses where you're with a group RC probably won't be the big focus. I took Kaplan (which I know everyone shits on but it was the most convenient for me because it was offered on my campus while the others were about a 30 minute commute off campus) and we didn't do much RC at all because people just tend to not improve much on it. I think one or two of our classes was on RC out of a two month course.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Yeah, your RC might need improvement, but you're losing so many points on the other two sections. Theres tons of room for improvement in each section, so I would hit each section hard if I were you.
Neither a class or a tutor is going to help you unless you do a lot of practice on your own. If Cambridge is still selling their packets I would definitely pick up those and drill by question type. Each question you get wrong make sure to throughly review. You're score will not get better if you don't review. Online courses can be useful to help understand the reasoning behind each question (or you can use the Manhattan forums). Basically do thousands of questions and take timed PTs. If you need a class to keep yourself structured then take an online class like 7sage or Velocity. Otherwise, just study on your own (tons of drilling with thorough review) if you are self motivated and can stick to a study schedule.

Jimlaw123

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:02 am

Thanks for the reply. If anyone could give me advice on RC it would be greatly appreciated. I know you have to make your own system, I guess my problem is making a system that works, and that I can stick to. I'm am starting my trek tomorrow. So, wish me luck. But this time is going to be different. I'm going to be on it. Thanks again. I don't know about Velocity now, but if they're books are good, I may enroll just to get the materials, maybe the methods are better. But I know I will aqueous to LR and LG, but I know my RC is something I truly need help on. So I'm going to have to learn to teach myself. arggh...nope, I have to stay positive. I'm lucky to live in a country where I can even take the LSAT.... haha thanks. Please people inbox me, or keep posting idea's on here. Thanks.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:10 am

Jimlaw123 wrote:Thanks for the reply. If anyone could give me advice on RC it would be greatly appreciated. I know you have to make your own system, I guess my problem is making a system that works, and that I can stick to. I'm am starting my trek tomorrow. So, wish me luck. But this time is going to be different. I'm going to be on it. Thanks again. I don't know about Velocity now, but if they're books are good, I may enroll just to get the materials, maybe the methods are better. But I know I will aqueous to LR and LG, but I know my RC is something I truly need help on. So I'm going to have to learn to teach myself. arggh...nope, I have to stay positive. I'm lucky to live in a country where I can even take the LSAT.... haha thanks. Please people inbox me, or keep posting idea's on here. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by being aqueous to LR and LG, but I still think you should really focus on them too. Getting 3-7 wrong per section can be 14 points lost on LR alone! RC is commonly the hardest for people to improve and LG the easiest. All points are equal so get them where you can. The only thing that I think works for RC is to drill a lot and just do every passage you can get your hands on. There a so many different methods for RC, I bought the Trainer (~$40) and used that RC method along with 7sage's memory method. The Trainer was also great for LR. I don't think you need a course to improve RC, but like I said before you might find it helpful for learning LR and LG. I've heard great things about 7sage and they have an online course for only $179.

flowering

Postby flowering » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Last edited by flowering on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jimlaw123

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:41 am

Flowering- Pretty much. I don't know the actual printout, but I know I messed up on the last game and just guessed the entire thing. I didn't get to one of the RC passages. Also was missing the last 3 on the LR. It was just a horrible test, and I wasn't prepared. I don't plan to make this mistake a second time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”