How to Construct a Study Plan? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
negligee

New

How to Construct a Study Plan?

Post by negligee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:46 am

I am aiming to finish my studying in time to take the October test. I've read several threads on the forum but I am still uncertain and overwhelmed regarding the way in which I should proceed with my studying.

My diagnostic is a 155, which I took in the beginning of May. Since then, I have read all three Bibles and skimmed through the Manhattan RC Guide. I've done essentially all the problems featured in the Bibles and I've done a number of sections from the earliest PTs I could find (7 and onward). I just did PT 16 today in simulated test conditions (minus the fifth section, which I'm aware makes a difference, stamina and focus-wise) and scored a 165, which is a tad lower than I had anticipated. I aim to get as high a score as I can possibly achieve. I will admit that I have not been as diligent in my studying as I should be. Part of this can be attributed to my lack of direction in my study plan, which is what prompted this thread.

So how should I proceed? What do most people tend to do in their preparation? Do I drill certain types of questions? Is it a good idea to revisit older PTs/sections of PTs I've done and hope I don't remember the correct answer? Do I do untimed PTs for now? How do I know when to start timing? Should I always do five sections? Should I practice in louder public settings, like a mall food court or a busy library, to ensure maximum focus? I'm just lost right now and I do not want to waste neither time nor precious PTs. I would really appreciate some tips.

Also, I've read some people increase their score by up to 20 points. Is it very difficult? Would you say it's mostly dependent on dedication and just putting in the hours and mental energy on acing the LSAT? Should I just give up on trying to get a 99th percentile score? Or if I can reach this, can I do it in time for the October test?

LawsRUs

Gold

Re: How to Construct a Study Plan?

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:02 am

These are excellent questions. You need to drill your weaknesses. Find out if you are missing the same question type(s). Do Blind Review, during which you can do PTs untimed. I used to print anywhere from 2 to 10 copies of the same PT sections to revisit them until I understood the concepts tested. It is okay not always to do five sections. A month or two before the actual test date can be sufficient, depending on your stamina and comfort levels. A mall food court might be too loud; go for the library. There is an LSAT DVD that you can buy, and it has a "noisy" setting where you hear people sneeze, tap their pencils, and have other distractions while you take the test.

Whether or not it is difficult to achieve a 20+ gain from your diagnostic depends on the individual, but it can be done if you structure your review of PTs effectively (Blind Review, drilling, Manhattan forums, 7sage, etc.).

At no point during your study, you should give up. I think it can be doable for October. GL

negligee

New

Post by negligee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 pm

LawsRUs wrote:These are excellent questions. You need to drill your weaknesses. Find out if you are missing the same question type(s). Do Blind Review, during which you can do PTs untimed. I used to print anywhere from 2 to 10 copies of the same PT sections to revisit them until I understood the concepts tested. It is okay not always to do five sections. A month or two before the actual test date can be sufficient, depending on your stamina and comfort levels. A mall food court might be too loud; go for the library. There is an LSAT DVD that you can buy, and it has a "noisy" setting where you hear people sneeze, tap their pencils, and have other distractions while you take the test.

Whether or not it is difficult to achieve a 20+ gain from your diagnostic depends on the individual, but it can be done if you structure your review of PTs effectively (Blind Review, drilling, Manhattan forums, 7sage, etc.).

At no point during your study, you should give up. I think it can be doable for October. GL
Thank you for your advice and words of encouragement. Do I do drilling first and then move onto untimed PTs or is it more advisable to alternate during my studying? I'm trying to imagine a somewhat detailed schedule from now until October.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Drilling first can help in developing strategies for attacking the question types on which you may be weak and need practice. People tend to use PTs 1-40 for drilling, then using the rest for timed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”