Reading Comp

eli2015

Reading Comp

Postby eli2015 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:23 pm

RC the bane of my existence. What is the best material to improve on reading comp. People have claimed that MP is the best for reading comp, can anyone confirm?

What tips, or suggestions would you guys offer me on improving?

Blueprint Sam

Re: Reading Comp

Postby Blueprint Sam » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:42 am

eli2015 wrote:RC the bane of my existence. What is the best material to improve on reading comp. People have claimed that MP is the best for reading comp, can anyone confirm?

What tips, or suggestions would you guys offer me on improving?

Hey there! This section may seem like the most comfortable (you've been reading your whole life!), but it nonetheless requires a keen and trained eye to understand what the LSAT writers are specifically looking for.

Two generic things I can offer you in terms of advice for RC:

First, I would try to focus on the types of questions you may be missing on a consistent basis. Just like the LR (logical reasoning) section, there are distinct and limited question types the LSAT asks for RC. Maybe you've been missing questions that ask whether a statement weakens or strengthens an argument more than you've been missing questions about the author's attitude. Each of these question types can lead you to hone on what you can improve in your test taking (i.e. in an author's attitude question, you might try to see if you have been skipping over language implicating judgment of the author, whereas in a weaken/strengthen question, you might try to see if you have missed argumentative language and how it interacts with the overall conclusion).

Second, direct your attention not simply to the questions and answers, but also to how you've read the passage itself. For example, when reviewing, you might want to go back and just check what you've marked up in the passage, and whether you would change those markings after you have seen the questions and correct answers. For instance: did you identify the correct primary structure, thesis/theses, whether the author was serving as an advocate or storyteller, and did you also identify any secondary structures? Look for words that indicate a conclusion, a judgment, alternative viewpoints, tricky vocabulary, etc.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask (especially if there is a specific test you need help on, or maybe just a very tricky question)! And remember, the fact that you are on here and being proactive about your LSAT studying means you can only get better. This test requires a lot of work, but improvement is attainable once you have the skillz :)

eli2015

Re: Reading Comp

Postby eli2015 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks Sam, I appreciate the advice. I have only started studying for the RC, however when I looked over which questions I was getting wrong more consistently, it was the organizational structure of the passage questions, and the MBT questions. However, I only get the organizational structure questions wrong when the passage is more complex, and I usually miss the questions because there is a subtle difference I missed.

any suggestions for those questions?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”