Cancel a 170 Retake?

sanderson90

Cancel a 170 Retake?

Postby sanderson90 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Yesterday was my third LSAT.

I retook yesterday after PTing consistently in the 177 range. Forgot to set my timer on RC, freaked out midway through only to realize I had oodles of time left, and finished the section but with a shakier performance than usual. Felt great about 3/4 LG but didn't finish the section and bubbled in Ds for 4 of the last questions.

I don't see myself scoring below my average of the pervious two tests — but what happens if I get, say a 168 this time? Is a drop on my third retake going to adversely affect my chances at the T-14 as opposed to the 170 and a cancellation for June? It's certainly possible I perform above 170 this time around, but is accepting that possibility worth the risk of scoring below my already good score?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by sanderson90 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

leslieknope

Re: Cancel a 170 Retake?

Postby leslieknope » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:19 pm

sanderson90 wrote: It's certainly possible I perform above 170 this time around

Don't cancel. Seriously, don't. No one will care if you drop two points, there's a shot you raised your score, and you're out of retakes. Canceling would absolutely be a mistake.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:30 pm

leslieknope wrote:
sanderson90 wrote: It's certainly possible I perform above 170 this time around

Don't cancel. Seriously, don't. No one will care if you drop two points, there's a shot you raised your score, and you're out of retakes. Canceling would absolutely be a mistake.

Hi leslie!

Thoughts on cancelling my first take, which I feel I likely bombed? (as in, possibility of scoring 13 pts below my avg?)

(sorry to hijack your thread, sanderson. In your case, I'd agree not to cancel.)

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:58 pm

msp8 wrote:Hi leslie!

Thoughts on cancelling my first take, which I feel I likely bombed? (as in, possibility of scoring 13 pts below my avg?)

(sorry to hijack your thread, sanderson. In your case, I'd agree not to cancel.)

Hey! I guess that depends on why you think you dropped the points. Did you just feel shaky walking out and had to guess on a few? This is normal and not worth canceling over. Did you misbubble an entire section or just put D on half the games? Then yeah, maybe consider canceling. But you should know that the schools will only care about your highest score, and you've already lost a take. 9.9 times out of 10, people shouldn't cancel.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:47 am

I was pretty surprised at how shaky/nervous I was. In the first section (LR), I completed about 18 Qs in 18mins (or so I thought). There were 26 Qs. I hit one surprisingly tough/daunting Q, worked on it for a bit, skipped it to finish the rest. Then my watch acted up; it showed much more time remaining than what was given. And this section, which had seemed super simple, I was now quickly bubbling a random AC as the proctor said 'put your pencils down...'

Following that (emotional high, then low), I was really shaky. It took me a bit to get my hand to stop shaking for section 2 (RC). Once I did, I got into it, but I didn't feel all there... through the first two passages, I think I did okay, but it didn't feel great. Third passage, I started to rush, realising I was behind pace, and didn't verify any answers I selected. Fourth passage, seeI skimmed and didn't fully grasp the passage, then had to randomly choose 3-4 answers (not reading the ACs on 3 of those Qs). Just ran out of time.

After that, I was more or less shocked at how badly this was all going. On the next LR, I found it tricky, but cared less and finished with a couple of mins to spare, but was still confounded by a couple of Qs. After the break, another LR, I forgot to start my watch so never knew how much time I had. Wound up having to guess-bubble on 2 Qs. On LG, similar to the first LR, I completed the first two games in 10mins (5mins each), but then let nerves overwhelm me and didn't properly diagram in game4, just tried to brute force it and wound up running out of time, doing random bubbling on 2-3 ACs.

Long story short... all things learned, all fundamentals, tossed out the window.

It's also an int'l test, so I won't see any score breakdown. So I couldn't view it as interesting/a learning experience. I just think it'd be rough to see such an unrepresentative score, and I can't see it being possible to crack 170 given the above. Even if I felt great on most of the test, aside from shakiness/nerves/running out of time (a big 'aside').

(And thank you for your thoughts in advance!)

Whnlifegvsulmns

Postby Whnlifegvsulmns » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:02 pm

msp8 wrote:I was pretty surprised at how shaky/nervous I was. In the first section (LR), I completed about 18 Qs in 18mins (or so I thought). There were 26 Qs. I hit one surprisingly tough/daunting Q, worked on it for a bit, skipped it to finish the rest. Then my watch acted up; it showed much more time remaining than what was given. And this section, which had seemed super simple, I was now quickly bubbling a random AC as the proctor said 'put your pencils down...'

Following that (emotional high, then low), I was really shaky. It took me a bit to get my hand to stop shaking for section 2 (RC). Once I did, I got into it, but I didn't feel all there... through the first two passages, I think I did okay, but it didn't feel great. Third passage, I started to rush, realising I was behind pace, and didn't verify any answers I selected. Fourth passage, seeI skimmed and didn't fully grasp the passage, then had to randomly choose 3-4 answers (not reading the ACs on 3 of those Qs). Just ran out of time.

After that, I was more or less shocked at how badly this was all going. On the next LR, I found it tricky, but cared less and finished with a couple of mins to spare, but was still confounded by a couple of Qs. After the break, another LR, I forgot to start my watch so never knew how much time I had. Wound up having to guess-bubble on 2 Qs. On LG, similar to the first LR, I completed the first two games in 10mins (5mins each), but then let nerves overwhelm me and didn't properly diagram in game4, just tried to brute force it and wound up running out of time, doing random bubbling on 2-3 ACs.

Long story short... all things learned, all fundamentals, tossed out the window.

It's also an int'l test, so I won't see any score breakdown. So I couldn't view it as interesting/a learning experience. I just think it'd be rough to see such an unrepresentative score, and I can't see it being possible to crack 170 given the above. Even if I felt great on most of the test, aside from shakiness/nerves/running out of time (a big 'aside').

(And thank you for your thoughts in advance!)

Considering it has pretty much been confirmed that the 26 LR was experimental (I had LG experimental. LG-23 LR-25 LG-23 RC-27 LR-25), you can pretty much eliminate your first section as a reason to cancel your score. Other than that, I'm of the same opinion as many others on here: Canceling isn't really going to help you and can only hurt you. You may have been blessed with good guessing skills and lucked out on your score. Also, if you cancel, you'll have to retake anyways with almost nothing to base your studying on. Even though you won't get a breakdown, even a score can tell you a bit about your performance. I wouldn't cancel.

sanderson90

Postby sanderson90 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”