What makes a "hard" question hard? Please come inside

flash21

What makes a "hard" question hard? Please come inside

Postby flash21 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Hey guys,

In studying for the October LSAT, I'm reviewing question 12 from PT 50, LR Section 4

and in review I'm wondering, what makes this type of question hard? Its not really the stimulus is it? I understood it pretty easily. During timed review I picked (C), upon review (D), now I checked the answer key and its (A).

I can remember initially reading this, and even in review, all of the answer choices seemed pretty irrelevant.

What exactly is it about the way this question is written makes it difficult?

Sorry if this seems weird, I'm trying to get more out of my review than I did for my last take, and I'm just left thinking "that's a hard question", but why?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help breakdown why - I'm looking for something more than simply this being explained as it would be on the manhatttan forum.

Thanks!!

TheodoreKGB

Re: What makes a "hard" question hard? Please come inside

Postby TheodoreKGB » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:18 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:Hard LR questions to me typically mean that the correct answer choice is ridiculously subtle.

Yeah. I always found that the toughest questions were those that had extremely attractive incorrect answer choices, and what appears to be a weak correct answer.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:39 pm

I don't have anything to say in response to your question, but I commend you for attracting attention with your sexualized subject line.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:23 pm

I didn't mean to make the title sexual. If it can be changed somehow, let me know. lol

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artistar

Postby artistar » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:09 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:Hard LR questions to me typically mean that the correct answer choice is ridiculously subtle.

My thoughts exactly.

Clarity

Postby Clarity » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:09 am

flash21 wrote:Hey guys,

In studying for the October LSAT, I'm reviewing question 12 from PT 50, LR Section 4

and in review I'm wondering, what makes this type of question hard? Its not really the stimulus is it? I understood it pretty easily. During timed review I picked (C), upon review (D), now I checked the answer key and its (A).

I can remember initially reading this, and even in review, all of the answer choices seemed pretty irrelevant.

What exactly is it about the way this question is written makes it difficult?

Sorry if this seems weird, I'm trying to get more out of my review than I did for my last take, and I'm just left thinking "that's a hard question", but why?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help breakdown why - I'm looking for something more than simply this being explained as it would be on the manhatttan forum.

Thanks!!

Why did you pick C at first and then D upon review? I looked up the question that you were referring to and C and D both focus on the person giving the therapy. Then answer choice A focuses on the methods the study used to define improvement. As to why some LR questions are hard I would normally generally agree with TheodoreKGB. I am not sure that reason applies to this specific question though. So maybe if you gave more insight into why you picked the answers you did then people could give a better answer as to why it was a hard question for you.

drtamale

Post removed...

Postby drtamale » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:49 am

Post removed...
Last edited by drtamale on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:26 pm

For the poster "clarity"

(C) Honestly, I think I picked this due to needing to leave this quesstion. Mulled it over for a bit and couldn't come up with anything, think I attempted a botched elimination.

(D) I thought this AC would weaken it because although things drastically different can have things in common, I thought this would weaken the idea that they shared a similarity - if they differ dramatically, less likely they would share core things that are beneficial right?

(A) I just really did not see the significance of this answer choice. I thought it was irrelevant.

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:29 pm

flash21 wrote:I didn't mean to make the title sexual. If it can be changed somehow, let me know. lol

I think it's perfect

GospelLeague

Postby GospelLeague » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 am

Sometimes the way test makers phrase it can be a pain in the ass.
Check PT15 first LR Q12. You'll understand what I mean. I hate that question soooooo much

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”