Post removed. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
waw

New

Re: June 2015 LSAT War Stories (memorable/weird/funny things)

Post by waw » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:43 pm

I too had a fire alarm go off during my test. We had to evacuate the building during the middle of the section. Do you think they will cancel the scores? I feel like I still did fine but it was quite an interruption. Do you think I could get LSAC to let me retake for free?

Op_Diom

New

Post by Op_Diom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:03 pm

kevgogators wrote:I arrived at the test center and had decided that I would not engage in conservation because I wanted to get my head in the game and avoid any distraction.

While in line to check in, the 3-4 dudes behind me struck up a convo and were chatting it up. They got to talking about schools and dude A asks dude B if he's gunning for the state school referring to FSU (UF is the state school by the way). Dude B says that "he doubts it cause it's extremely hard to get in and they only have a 9% acceptance rate". Dude A agrees and says he'll be applying to Nova, FIU, and maybe Barry. Dude B, C and D hastily agree, and all admit that's where they're targeting too.

2-3 minutes later they begin talking about the testing format and the "best strategies to kill it". Dude A says that LG is his strongest section because it's fun and he usually gets into the 3rd game before time is called. Dude B says he just wants to do his four sections and GTFO of there...they were all unaware of an experimental section. Dude A starts talking to Dude C and tells him he took an adderall 30 minutes prior because he didn't wanna be second-guessing himself on the test. Dude C gets excited and says he did the same.

All this time I couldn't help but think of TLS and how genuinely unrepresentative we are of aspiring law students in general. Thank God for this place :lol:
This is literally the funniest damn thing I have heard all day.

darthslughorn

New

Post by darthslughorn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:06 am

Last edited by darthslughorn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:07 am

waw wrote:I too had a fire alarm go off during my test. We had to evacuate the building during the middle of the section. Do you think they will cancel the scores? I feel like I still did fine but it was quite an interruption. Do you think I could get LSAC to let me retake for free?
If you file a test center complaint with LSAC about the fire drill and assert that it negatively impacted your ability to perform normally in that section due to the mid section interruption/evacuation, you could get offered a free re-take by LSAC but it would be conditioned on cancelling your score.

That's the normal remedy LSAC offers to test takers that experienced/suffered through unusually disruptive conditions at the test center during the test if they file a test center/bad test conditions complaint that is verified by the proctors.

If you file a complaint LSAC investigates (by reviewing the proctors reports and asking them if what you claim occurred did in fact occur), and once they verify that something significantly disruptive did occur they typically offer you a free re-take as a remedy conditioned on you agreeing to them cancelling your score. After verifying the problem with the proctors they offer you the free re-take option before your score is released (and put release of your score on temporary hold once they receive your complaint) and you must decide yes or no before they'll release your score to you if you decide not to accept the free re-take remedy, meaning they won't release your score to you and then let you decide to cancel it and accept the free re-take offer.

If you think you did fine and don't want to cancel your score but do file a complaint about the fire drill interruption, it could delay release of your score if they don't complete the 'investigation' and send you the free re-take offer email until shortly before scores are released for everybody since LSAC's policy is to put a hold on your score from being released until they've completed their investigation about the bad test center conditions/disruption complaint and made a decision about whether or not to offer you a free re-take, which sometimes takes a couple of weeks for them to complete the whole process.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:12 am

My center was relaxed. Several quiet gunners in my room. There are always people that are dying to chat up a storm. Everyone avoided this. I second the bathroom use after check-in but before the start of section 1. A few people did this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:18 am

basedvulpes wrote:
deant286 wrote:There were only about 20 or so students at my testing center. Beforehand we were discussing expected scores, study materials used, law schools we wanted to apply to, etc. etc. I don't know if these are the "war stories" you were looking for, but mostly these people were just saying hilarious/frightening things about their prep/future plans that I wanted to share here because no one I know in reality would understand why I was so dumbfounded:

Every single person, save for two that were not involved in the discussion, listed at least one law school ranging from 50 on down that they were intending on applying to. Many were exclusively applying to schools that I swear I hadn't even heard of before. One guy, who told me he was expecting around a 155, told me his primary goal was to get into UVA (lol). Another said he wasn't expecting to go to any school lower than 70ish rank and was just hoping to make it into the 40s and 30s.

General consensus on LG was: if you didn't have to guess on more than one full game, it went well.

Greater than half of the people said they used princeton and/or kaplan to prepare. Just about two or three of the 20ish students said they used powerscore.

From what I could understand, most people had only been preparing for the month that college classes have been over with. One guy told me he had been studying for 5-10 hours a week during that entire month - that was the extent of his prep.

Many people were shooting for the high 150s -160 (not 160s, but 160.) No one claimed they had even PT'd above this range. One guy was retaking it, his original score was a 153. Seemed like everyone there would have been satisfied with just hitting 160.

I don't know how atypical this is (or worthy of mentioning in this thread, or any) but it was a complete shock to hear people saying this after mostly being exposed to other potential law students only on TLS. I hadn't realized until that moment that so many people were clueless about nearly everything to do with preparing, applying, etc.
I feel the same way. I'm willing to bet that most people taking it at my center are just aiming to get into our state's public (and only) law school, which I don't think is even in the top 100. This is the second time I've taken, and I got a 165 the first time. Almost everyone I know thinks I'm certifiably insane for being unhappy with that score, since it would probably instantly qualify me for a full ride in-state.

TLS is not representative of the average test taker or law school hopeful. Which is why I like it here.
Almost all of us are crazy smart lol, willing to go the extra mile to get the score we would like. That's what makes these stories so funny!

lurker816

Bronze

Post by lurker816 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 am

yschaf wrote:
chaitealatte wrote:
beaglelegal wrote:
chaitealatte wrote:They announced they'd be testing a fire alarm over the loudspeaker a few minutes before we started. It went off in the middle of my RC section. I'm choosing to blame my lack of a 180 exclusively on that damn alarm.
How is that possibly acceptable?!!?!?

No clue. I reported it to LSAC but i doubt that'll change anything. We got an extra minute or two but it def fucked with everyone's level of concentration.

Were you at CUNY school of law? We had a test of the emergency alert system go off at the end of RC as well (sec 4) but no extra time :( Really messed up last minute/tossup selections for me.
+1 ay guys though it was LR for me

Mav5

New

Post by Mav5 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:40 am

My experience was pretty good, except that I got lost on campus (don't attend school were im testing) and showed up at exactly 12:29. I was the last to check in. My center was comfortable, quite, and had only about 20 people. No one really talked to eachother during the break. The proctor did not offer a bathroom break before section one as is protocol... though I wish she did since me running late caused me to skip the bathroom and I had to hold it till break. That truly sucked.

waw

New

Post by waw » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 am

Jeffort wrote:
waw wrote:I too had a fire alarm go off during my test. We had to evacuate the building during the middle of the section. Do you think they will cancel the scores? I feel like I still did fine but it was quite an interruption. Do you think I could get LSAC to let me retake for free?
If you file a test center complaint with LSAC about the fire drill and assert that it negatively impacted your ability to perform normally in that section due to the mid section interruption/evacuation, you could get offered a free re-take by LSAC but it would be conditioned on cancelling your score.

That's the normal remedy LSAC offers to test takers that experienced/suffered through unusually disruptive conditions at the test center during the test if they file a test center/bad test conditions complaint that is verified by the proctors.

If you file a complaint LSAC investigates (by reviewing the proctors reports and asking them if what you claim occurred did in fact occur), and once they verify that something significantly disruptive did occur they typically offer you a free re-take as a remedy conditioned on you agreeing to them cancelling your score. After verifying the problem with the proctors they offer you the free re-take option before your score is released (and put release of your score on temporary hold once they receive your complaint) and you must decide yes or no before they'll release your score to you if you decide not to accept the free re-take remedy, meaning they won't release your score to you and then let you decide to cancel it and accept the free re-take offer.

If you think you did fine and don't want to cancel your score but do file a complaint about the fire drill interruption, it could delay release of your score if they don't complete the 'investigation' and send you the free re-take offer email until shortly before scores are released for everybody since LSAC's policy is to put a hold on your score from being released until they've completed their investigation about the bad test center conditions/disruption complaint and made a decision about whether or not to offer you a free re-take, which sometimes takes a couple of weeks for them to complete the whole process.
Thank you so much for the info! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:16 am

A girl and I got into conversation about lsat prep.

I asked her how she prepped for it, she says, "I took a whole week off from work to cram for this. There are like 14 different type of questions and I got all the formulas down to get to the right answer".

I'm still wondering what exactly these "magic formulas" are but then her goal was 155 so I shouldn't worry about it too much.

lsatkillah

New

Post by lsatkillah » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:26 am

ABC
Last edited by lsatkillah on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:22 am

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackelJ

Silver

Post by JackelJ » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:00 am

On my drivers license, the last letter of my first name is missing because my name has too many letters for them to all fit and on my admission ticket all the letters were there. The proctor checking me in got all worried and had to ask another proctor if this was okay and if I was allowed to take the test. Thankfully it was okay, but I think it was ridiculous that it was almost an issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chaitealatte

New

Post by chaitealatte » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:14 am

yschaf wrote:
chaitealatte wrote:
beaglelegal wrote:
chaitealatte wrote:They announced they'd be testing a fire alarm over the loudspeaker a few minutes before we started. It went off in the middle of my RC section. I'm choosing to blame my lack of a 180 exclusively on that damn alarm.
How is that possibly acceptable?!!?!?

No clue. I reported it to LSAC but i doubt that'll change anything. We got an extra minute or two but it def fucked with everyone's level of concentration.

Were you at CUNY school of law? We had a test of the emergency alert system go off at the end of RC as well (sec 4) but no extra time :( Really messed up last minute/tossup selections for me.

Yup I was! Ugh the worst because I thought other than that the test center was great.

TheWalkingDebt

Silver

Post by TheWalkingDebt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:35 am

Overall it was not too crazy. About 15 of us. The clock fell off the wall in the middle of the third or fourth section and made a lot of noise as it broke.

Proctors decided to rearrange seating after section one also which was mildly annoying but not too bad.

whacka

Gold

Post by whacka » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:25 am

Last edited by whacka on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedofsandimas

Bronze

Post by tedofsandimas » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:01 am

Nothing too memorable at my location. The building had several entrances, so I just picked the main entrance (because why wouldn't I?) and walked right into a lecture being held in the lobby with the audience facing the main doors. I didn't say anything and just turned around and walked right back out.

I must have had a room full of gunners because no one was talking to anyone before or after the test or during the break. Someone two rows in front of me had black Ticonderogas and a Staedtler eraser, so I can only assume he is a TLS-er, but I was not about to be the only person to strike up a conversation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Topszn

Bronze

Post by Topszn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:09 am

Long time lurker, just finished --

Some jamoake came in just in the nick of time, sat down next to me and proceeded to start munching away at a full burrito whilst we were doing LR. Needless to say the proctors told him to put it away.

Anyway, same thing happened during RC - proctors ask him to put it away.

... During LR2, he gets the burrito (3/4 eaten) out AGAIN, needless to say the proctors went into full-scale meltdown, think their heads were doing cartwheels down Piccadilly Circus by the end.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:15 am

deant286 wrote:I don't know how atypical this is (or worthy of mentioning in this thread, or any) but it was a complete shock to hear people saying this after mostly being exposed to other potential law students only on TLS. I hadn't realized until that moment that so many people were clueless about nearly everything to do with preparing, applying, etc.
Ya man, remember, the online LSAT taker scores in the high 160s and 170s, where in reality the median is in the low 150s.

drtamale

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by drtamale » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:57 am

Post removed...
Last edited by drtamale on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

drtamale

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by drtamale » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:58 am

Post removed...
Last edited by drtamale on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

janderson821

Bronze

Post by janderson821 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Before the RC section started I saw something fall and land on my sweatshirt. I couldn't find it and thought that it was no big deal. Towards the end of the section a ladybug comes crawling out of my cleavage. I totally freaked out and flicked it and it died on my test book. It was towards the end of the day and it actually woke me up and helped me concentrate; although I am sure I looked like an idiot.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:23 pm

One girl was telling everyone "They only grade you out of the answers you put down. That's why if you read the instructions they say ONLY put down answers you are confident in. So if you don't know the answer skip it!" Everyone then proceeded with "Really? Are you sure I didn't know that". The way their conversation went it looked like many of them were going to take her advice. I ended up stepping in and saying that the test is graded based on the number you get correct so guessing is in your best interest if you cant finish or dont know the answer. I highly doubt she was sabotaging other people based on her conversations.

My body picked a great day to shed water weight. I woke up feeling great and nervous/confident. At 12:30 we get checked in and are waiting around until 1:30. Well around 1:15 i really had to go to the bathroom and they wouldnt let me leave. I planned ahead and went before checking in etc, but I havent had to pee this bad ever in my life. I couldn't read coherently and I remembered rereading a LR problem about 10 times before I looked at the proctor and mouthed "BATHROOM NOW" and just ran out of the room. Wasted a few minutes but got through almost every question despite that.

The worst part is, my first section was an experimental RC... Could have left then.

Ended up making some stupid mistakes because I let that knock me out of the zone. I probably didnt do that bad, but I always planned to retake october no matter how well I did.

On the bright side, I looked more vascular and lean that night.

darthslughorn

New

Post by darthslughorn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Last edited by darthslughorn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whacka

Gold

Post by whacka » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Last edited by whacka on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”