The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread (GREY DEY 7/1)

What now?

See you in a "personal statements" thread
26%
Applying this cycle, but done with TLS
4%
Retake in October
43%
Indefinite retake
7%
I'm gonna make a "should I retake?" thread
9%
Change of career choice
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 135

JackelJ

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby JackelJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:29 am

Zacbro, you should also put lurker options on the polls when you make the new ones

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:36 am

I updated this blog "Help, I failed the LSAT" for you all:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/help-i ... e-edition/

I can't stress enough what some are helping me spread the word about. It's all about the high score.

beaglelegal

Postby beaglelegal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:45 am

ChrisJH wrote:
nv93 wrote:Second Waiters Thread for me. I felt like crap out of the exam for the first half since I guessed on about 3 or 4 in LRs. I had LR-RC-LR-LR-LG. I forgot to put an answer down for one section too. Did anyone get a section with a drink called Mate? I was OCD with letter choices feeling like I needed a certain amount of A's per section. I don't know what to think. I had a similar feeling with my last PT, but I did my best on my last PT. I think I did well on two RCs, guessed on a few on the Glass one. Did well on three logic games, but couldn't get to the third.

I had the Mate question and I think I read it about four times before I finally understood how the answer choices were relevant. If you're trying to figure out if that section was experimental, it was (I had two LR).

Mate was not experimental! I had two RC and I had this question.

ChillTomG

Postby ChillTomG » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Legendary wrote:
In regards to having A+'s in grading schemes, it might not be as great as it seems. There are enforced quotas at my school for how many A's can be handed out in each class. Professors must report to the department Dean if one of their classes ends up with an average is too high (guideline is 67%/C+). Grade deflation has been heavily documented at my UG.

This is ludicrous and unfairly punishes students. Down with Legendary's undergrad's grading system! Up with A+s for everyone!

For my honors math classes, B+ is average with an approximately even split A/B+/B. My school does not do minus grades, and C+ or lower is only for students who really screwed up and did little of the work.

This is "fair" since the average student in my honors classes will be attending a top 15-20 Ph.D. program in math and would cruise to a very high A in a non honors class.

beaglelegal

Postby beaglelegal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:54 am

MikeSpivey wrote:I updated this blog "Help, I failed the LSAT" for you all:

I can't stress enough what some are helping me spread the word about. It's all about the high score.

Is this true for Stanford too?? They seem to be among the few that are still being mysterious and I don't know what to make of it! I understand that generalizing for the purposes of advice requires the advice that only the top score matters but I haven't seen much that specifically talks about how S and Y (even though I have no shot there) look at this.

Merp

Postby Merp » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:24 pm

For people with LR-RC-LR-LR-LG, I am sure my first LR was real (babbling babies), but am stuck on whether my second or third LR was real. I'm pretty sure there was a question about salt and gourmet chefs in the third LR section, and am pretty sure this is my experimental section. Can anyone confirm whether they think their third LR (fourth section) was the experimental and had this question? Thanks

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:25 pm

beaglelegal wrote:

Is this true for Stanford too?? They seem to be among the few that are still being mysterious and I don't know what to make of it! I understand that generalizing for the purposes of advice requires the advice that only the top score matters but I haven't seen much that specifically talks about how S and Y (even though I have no shot there) look at this.

Think about it like this and you can answer that question:

You, beaglelegal, are named Dean of Admissions at (any school you want to fill in here now). You start getting people with multiple scores and unlike any other school in the nation you are averaging them. So a 165/175 is a 170 for you, a 175 for every other school. And you deny them. And your Median LSAT under the last dean of admissions was a 173. How many years do you think you will have your job when all of a sudden you either have a class size of 55 or you have to start taking people in doves with 169 off the WL?

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi June Bugs!

How did my favorite people ITT do? Sorry I've been MIA, but I know you all did great! Wish I could have taken it alongside you guys! :mrgreen:

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:43 pm

ChillTomG wrote:For my honors math classes, B+ is average with an approximately even split A/B+/B. My school does not do minus grades, and C+ or lower is only for students who really screwed up and did little of the work.

This is "fair" since the average student in my honors classes will be attending a top 15-20 Ph.D. program in math and would cruise to a very high A in a non honors class.
what do you mean honors math classes? I thought honors/non honors was high school stuff

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Hi June Bugs!

How did my favorite people ITT do? Sorry I've been MIA, but I know you all did great! Wish I could have taken it alongside you guys! :mrgreen:

Hey stranger

beaglelegal

Postby beaglelegal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:47 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
beaglelegal wrote:

You, beaglelegal, are named Dean of Admissions at (any school you want to fill in here now). You start getting people with multiple scores and unlike any other school in the nation you are averaging them. So a 165/175 is a 170 for you, a 175 for every other school. And you deny them. And your Median LSAT under the last dean of admissions was a 173. How many years do you think you will have your job when all of a sudden you either have a class size of 55 or you have to start taking people in doves with 169 off the WL?

Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it! I guess I just didn't realize that even places like Yale and Stanford were making these compromises.

amd3_3

Postby amd3_3 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Merp wrote:For people with LR-RC-LR-LR-LG, I am sure my first LR was real (babbling babies), but am stuck on whether my second or third LR was real. I'm pretty sure there was a question about salt and gourmet chefs in the third LR section, and am pretty sure this is my experimental section. Can anyone confirm whether they think their third LR (fourth section) was the experimental and had this question? Thanks

Was your first LR a 26 questions or 25 questions? I had LR-RC-LR-LR-LG and I had Babbling Babies as well. I think, however, this was in my first section of 26, which means it's definitely experimental. Where was your 26 question section or were you 25-25-25?

If you were 25-25-25, this could mean that there were multiple experimental AND the experimental order changes (i.e. your first section was babbling babies at 25 questions), which would mean that any 26 question was the experimental. If, however, you were 26-25-25 AND babbling babies was your 26 question section, it was experimental.

whacka

Postby whacka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:48 pm

Last edited by whacka on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasENG

Postby TexasENG » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedofsandimas

Postby tedofsandimas » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 pm

whacka wrote:
JackelJ wrote:
ChillTomG wrote:For my honors math classes, B+ is average with an approximately even split A/B+/B. My school does not do minus grades, and C+ or lower is only for students who really screwed up and did little of the work.

what do you mean honors math classes? I thought honors/non honors was high school stuff

my UG had a very small amount of honors classes, which were supposed to be harder but counted for more credits or something. The only one I can think of was honors writing for freshmen. I think all of the honors classes (if there were even any more than the writing one) were all gen eds.

We had some courses (mostly gen ed) that were only open to honors college students, but they were the same number of credit hours as the standard sections. On our transcripts they have notes added that say something like "this course taken for honors credit."

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:55 pm

hey Febbers. what was the curve for that test? realize the answer is buried in you guys' waiters thread somewhere but haven't found it yet

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:55 pm

whacka wrote:
JackelJ wrote:

my UG had a very small amount of honors classes, which were supposed to be harder but counted for more credits or something. The only one I can think of was honors writing for freshmen. I think all of the honors classes (if there were even any more than the writing one) were all gen eds.

Oh yea my college has honors sections for students in the honors college, but these are only really for freshman level classes. I took ChillTomG's comment to mean more of Junior/Senior level classes for math majors, but maybe that was a bad assumption

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:55 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:hey Febbers. what was the curve for that test? realize the answer is buried in you guys' waiters thread somewhere but haven't found it yet

The test was undisclosed so no one knew the curve

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:00 pm

JackelJ wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:hey Febbers. what was the curve for that test? realize the answer is buried in you guys' waiters thread somewhere but haven't found it yet

I know all Feb tests are undisclosed but figured someone might have made a plausible guess based on scoring at/near 170. Just wondering how its equated score might have compared with last June/Sept/Dec '14 and June '15.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm

TexasENG wrote:Enforced quotas are bull. I only had one and it was miserable to get a B when in a normal case I would have gotten that A. Luckily most engineering classes had a "hard" curve where A- started at 85% - 90%. Of course now that mass of A-'s is killing me on my LSAC GPA lowering me by .15.

But without that curve you would have more b/b+'s which would hurt your GPA more, no? Besides, having an A- GPA in engineering won't get you much pity haha. At least it won't at my school

whacka

Postby whacka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:03 pm

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:10 pm

whacka wrote:
JackelJ wrote:

wait on undisclosed tests do people not even know their raw score totals?

Correct. You only get your score and percentile.

basedvulpes

Post removed.

Postby basedvulpes » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:12 pm

beaglelegal wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
beaglelegal wrote:

Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it! I guess I just didn't realize that even places like Yale and Stanford were making these compromises.

My pleasure, Dean BeagleLegal.

whacka

Postby whacka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”