The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread (GREY DEY 7/1)

What now?

See you in a "personal statements" thread
26%
Applying this cycle, but done with TLS
4%
Retake in October
43%
Indefinite retake
7%
I'm gonna make a "should I retake?" thread
9%
Change of career choice
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 135

jumbo2016

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:51 pm

ruizdaw wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
oldercoldervoice wrote: The diversity statement is there for people who already know.

+100000000

LMFAO

That's a joke if I ever saw one.

I hate to break it to ya'll but everyone is diverse.

I understand you each have your own preconceptions of what diversity is but it's not a black or white issue, and trying to make it one isn't gonna help anyone's application.

The concept of diversity is deviation from the norm, something that makes you different. If everyone is different then there is no norm to deviate from.

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:52 pm

ruizdaw wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
oldercoldervoice wrote: The diversity statement is there for people who already know.

+100000000

LMFAO

That's a joke if I ever saw one.

I hate to break it to ya'll but everyone is diverse.

I understand you each have your own preconceptions of what diversity is but it's not a black or white issue, and trying to make it one isn't gonna help anyone's application.

i think we are dealing with an equivocation issue. We are talking about what college admission expect "diversity" means. You are talking about diverse in such a broad way. Look up diversity issue on TLS like they analyze why its a diversity essay and why good and bad.

deant286

Postby deant286 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Unless you have some real, immediatly obvious about you type of diversity - think actual URMs - you can often just include whatever you were going to write in your DS into your PS and achieve much of the same effect.

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:54 pm

deant286 wrote:Unless you have some real, immediatly obvious about you type of diversity - think actual URMs - you can often just include whatever you were going to write in your DS into your PS and achieve much of the same effect.

+1

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:55 pm

ruizdaw wrote:I hate to break it to ya'll but everyone is diverse.

ETA: But seriously, no. Just no.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:59 pm

You don't have to fit in these little boxes of diversity.

In fact that's exactly what I'm advocating against.

There are plenty of non-stereotypical diversity issues that could easily make for an incredible, sincere, genuine, and convincing diversity statement that would give your application more weight and more unique.

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:01 pm

ruizdaw wrote:You don't have to fit in these little boxes of diversity.

In fact that's exactly what I'm advocating against.

There are plenty of non-stereotypical diversity issues that could easily make for an incredible, sincere, genuine, and convincing diversity statement that would give your application more weight and more unique.

Yeah, totally. 100%. That still doesn't mean that everyone has one of these.

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:01 pm

placeholder wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:All this talk actually has me kind of confused as to what a diversity statement is even supposed to do...

So if most diversity statements are about being a different race then what is that supposed to do exactly? If your race is already listed then what purpose does it serve exactly?

I'm confused now lol

How society treats you is really different if your not white with that you gain a perspective very different from the mainstream... the statement isnt about what makes you different, its how society see you different...

So then an essay could be written about other non-race things that have also impacted the way society sees you...but I threw an idea at my dad that aligns with that criteria and he made me feel really stupid for suggesting it

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:01 pm

EVERYONE SHOULD AT LEAST PUT SOME EFFORT INTO ATTEMPTING ONE
And if it's not good or would hurt your application either fix it or don't send it.

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Well i know im the true diverse person: I am trans-afro Scandinavian eskimo from china born with blue eyes purple hair and native language is latin with trans male parents who believe in Jedi, and raised by also my grandmother who is an orthodox jew converted from Catholicism.

I also support the 2012 Kony campaign not his capture but presidency.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:03 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:All this talk actually has me kind of confused as to what a diversity statement is even supposed to do...

So if most diversity statements are about being a different race then what is that supposed to do exactly? If your race is already listed then what purpose does it serve exactly?

I'm confused now lol

How society treats you is really different if your not white with that you gain a perspective very different from the mainstream... the statement isnt about what makes you different, its how society see you different...

So then an essay could be written about other non-race things that have also impacted the way society sees you...but I threw an idea at my dad that aligns with that criteria and he made me feel really stupid for suggesting it

Sit down with your Pre-Law advisor and work through some ideas with them.

And your dad should have given you more constructive criticism then just "no"

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:04 pm

placeholder wrote:Well i know im the true diverse person: I am trans-afro Scandinavian eskimo from china born with blue eyes purple hair and native language is latin with trans male parents who believe in Jedi, and raised by also my grandmother who is an orthodox jew converted from Catholicism.

I also support the 2012 Kony campaign not his capture but presidency.

I'm saving this.

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:05 pm

ruizdaw wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:

I'm confused now lol

Well he has that whole intimidating-I'll crush you with my words-lawyer-dad thing going on so that's pretty typical of him actually. He's usually right though

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:07 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:

I'm confused now lol

its anon board you can just say it. you mention it was physical. is it your braces because i too felt discrimination of being a brace face.

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:09 pm

placeholder wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:

I'm confused now lol

its anon board you can just say it. you mention it was physical. is it your braces because i too felt discrimination of being a brace face.

LOL no it is not braces. I actually liked having braces back in the day

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:10 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:

I'm confused now lol

Well he has that whole intimidating-I'll crush you with my words-lawyer-dad thing going on so that's pretty typical of him actually. He's usually right though

That's how my dad comes off as too.id definitely suggest you and everyone else have a good convo with their Pre-Law advisor. Run ideas by the. Or just talk to them about yourself and feel out who you are.

I use mine as a sounding board and part time therapist.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:12 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Green

I've never felt so much hatred for a color before.

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:15 pm

ruizdaw wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:

I'm confused now lol

That's how my dad comes off as too.id definitely suggest you and everyone else have a good convo with their Pre-Law advisor. Run ideas by the. Or just talk to them about yourself and feel out who you are.

I use mine as a sounding board and part time therapist.

I've never even met my pre-law advisor. She's basically some anonymous woman who sends stuff about free Kaplan practice tests. Plus I'm graduated and no where near my university anymore so that option is kind of out. I'm thinking of contCting my old academic advisor who also happened to be a professor for like 6 of my classes and basically is Mr. Feeny.

But I also need his LOR so j don't want to exhaust my favors with him

basedvulpes

Post removed.

Postby basedvulpes » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumbo2016

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:18 pm

For some reason I got all excited when I saw this and then I realized what it actually said

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:19 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:

For some reason I got all excited when I saw this and then I realized what it actually said

Same tbh

I think it's the deceivingly large font size

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Last week when someone did that fake "Mine is grey!" thing, I went to login just in case and couldn't even bring myself to click the status link cause I was like holy shit it's actually here.

Imagine that moment. It's gonna be terrifying lol

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:21 pm

benwyatt the man who wanted to see the waiter's thread to burn

basedvulpes

Post removed.

Postby basedvulpes » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”