The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread (GREY DEY 7/1)

What now?

See you in a "personal statements" thread
26%
Applying this cycle, but done with TLS
4%
Retake in October
43%
Indefinite retake
7%
I'm gonna make a "should I retake?" thread
9%
Change of career choice
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 135

cdotson2

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby cdotson2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:Update: still green

what if by this time tomorrow it's grey

I'm hoping to already have my score by this time tomorrow.
Last edited by cdotson2 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I would just kind of look at your application and think, is there something glaring about me that makes me different that they need to know about? The scope of what they know about you is your PS and the various boxes that you check off. What's something else they need to know? Asha points out that if it's redundant then it might be unnecessary. But if it's something that's somewhat important to the formation of you as a person, it might be worth mentioning.

This is my second time through the process, and looking back there are definitely things that make me different that I wish I had mentioned. I would look at the PS as why law? And the diversity statement as why me? For a lot of people that might be the same, but not for all.

Exactly this!

I feel like a lot of people have trouble looking at their own lives and experiences when it comes to writing these essays, both the PS and DS

Scalvert

Postby Scalvert » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:09 pm

oldercoldervoice wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:The "everyone should write a diversity statement" line isn't helpful or accurate. Someone who submits a diversity statement in a way that comes across as too gimmicky would seem to be someone with poor judgment IMO. Found a YLS blog post on this question a while back. I'm sure there are other tidbits of adcomm's thoughts on the subject out there.

Asha's thoughts: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/18887.htm

This. The diversity statement should reflect a real, lived experience or situation which fundamentally differentiates you from the majority of applicants. The "anyone can write a diversity statement" thing is pretty misguided imo. By definition, a diversity statement is not something that everyone has the capability to write. To treat it as "extra credit" pretty fundamentally misrepresents what it's there for.

ETA: by "capability" I mean "appropriate situation or life experience," not "writing ability"

Non-belief in a deity probably separates me from the majority of applicants, but IDK if it would be considered a significant thing on its own. Yeah, I lost a couple fundamentalist friends in HS over it, but it's not like it held me back or anything. A few people didn't like me, but so what? I'm thinking now it's probably not a good idea.

Do admissions boards consider diversity when included in the PS, rather than as the subject of a separate statement? I can find some way to throw it in there. I hadn't even considered writing one until a few minutes ago and now I'm questioning my entire life. :)

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Scalvert wrote:
Non-belief in a deity probably separates me from the majority of applicants, but IDK if it would be considered a significant thing on its own. Yeah, I lost a couple fundamentalist friends in HS over it, but it's not like it held me back or anything. A few people didn't like me, but so what? I'm thinking now it's probably not a good idea.

Do admissions boards consider diversity when included in the PS, rather than as the subject of a separate statement? I can find some way to throw it in there. I hadn't even considered writing one until a few minutes ago and now I'm questioning my entire life. :)

My gut feeling is that a diversity statement about being an atheist will probably come off as gimmicky no matter how you write it, especially since, from what you've said, it hasn't had a huge impact on your life. That's just a feeling though.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Scalvert wrote:

Self-evaluation is a very useful skill.

And the truth is you won't know what's going to make your essay work until you're already half way into it. That's why everyone should at least attempt to write a DStatement.

You should never tell someone they shouldn't attempt to write one.
I mean for the love of god don't send a bad one if you're super pressed for time, but to not even attempt one is just stupid when so much is at stake.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I would just kind of look at your application and think, is there something glaring about me that makes me different that they need to know about? The scope of what they know about you is your PS and the various boxes that you check off. What's something else they need to know? Asha points out that if it's redundant then it might be unnecessary. But if it's something that's somewhat important to the formation of you as a person, it might be worth mentioning.

This is my second time through the process, and looking back there are definitely things that make me different that I wish I had mentioned. I would look at the PS as why law? And the diversity statement as why me? For a lot of people that might be the same, but not for all.

Exactly this!

I feel like a lot of people have trouble looking at their own lives and experiences when it comes to writing these essays, both the PS and DS

To your point, one of the things I wish I had mentioned is kinda minor to me. It almost never comes up in conversation, but often completely changes how people view me.
So it might not even be something that matters to you, but still makes you different.

+1,000,000

This is making me want to be a philosophy major, lol.

whacka

Post removed.

Postby whacka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:29 pm

whacka wrote:I really feel like writing a DS that is going to be an stretch (like being an atheist) will not only be unhelpful but may even be detrimental. I know adcoms probably have more measured responses to the things, but when I first saw this conversation about pretty much manufacturing diversity for your DS, I immediately had a really bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. I think an adcom would have to have a similar reaction when reading a diversity statement that is obviously forced

+10000

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:31 pm

whacka wrote:I really feel like writing a DS that is going to be an stretch (like being an atheist) will not only be unhelpful but may even be detrimental. I know adcoms probably have more measured responses to the things, but when I first saw this conversation about pretty much manufacturing diversity for your DS, I immediately had a really bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. I think an adcom would have to have a similar reaction when reading a diversity statement that is obviously forced

You're not manufacturing diversity. You're expanding on what is genuinely there.
And if the essay doesn't turn into what you want it to by the time you're ready to submit just don't send it.

You're going to have a bunch of people review it before you do. You are gonna know if it works or doesn't work.
Last edited by Li'l Sebastian on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hokie6260

Postby hokie6260 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:31 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:

What are referring to as being green or grey/gray?

jumbo2016

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Completely agree. I feel like reaching to write a diversity statement is basically going against why the diversity statement was originally created. It's not for people who have to manufacture diversity. It's for people who really have something about them that is not captured by the rest of their application and that would set them a part from other applicants.

If everyone can write one then nobody is diverse cus everybody is diverse.

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 pm

hokie6260 wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:

What are referring to as being green or grey/gray?

The little green icons on your LSAT status page (where they post your score) will turn grey soon before the score shows up...it's a sign that the scores are being released

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 pm

there's a lot of types of essays if people look at my link. If the school requires a resume or recommends one I wouldn't write one about accomplishments.
I think the best way to go is no filler all killer. Like you are talking about yourself and you need to market yourself not with 5 LOR and personal +diversity+ addendum essay.

From what I have seen in the acceptance/ application page for top law schools are succinct: bare minimum LOR except if they get one from someone who's know them for over 10 years and its from boy scouts or church, busy resume, typically their PS topic is what motivates them or hobby that they've done for a long time. No big pronouncement of eureka or enlightenment

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:37 pm

ruizdaw wrote:

You're not manufacturing diversity. You're expanding on what is genuinely there.
And if the essay doesn't turn into what you want it to by the time you're ready to submit just don't send it.

You're going to have a bunch of people review it before you do. You are gonna know if it works or doesn't work.

But your argument is that everyone has something there which merits attempting to write a diversity statement. And I'm sorry, but that's just not true. If you have to really scratch your head over something about your life that could maybe possibly be the basis for a diversity statement, you're manufacturing diversity. Plain and simple. The diversity statement is there for people who already know.

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:38 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:

Completely agree. I feel like reaching to write a diversity statement is basically going against why the diversity statement was originally created. It's not for people who have to manufacture diversity. It's for people who really have something about them that is not captured by the rest of their application and that would set them a part from other applicants.

If everyone can write one then nobody is diverse cus everybody is diverse.

If you absolutely can't write one don't, but I think the point people are trying to make is that you should do anything and everything you can possibly do to make your application standout and get you accepted.

jumbo2016

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:38 pm

oldercoldervoice wrote: The diversity statement is there for people who already know.

+100000000

TimeZonesAway

Postby TimeZonesAway » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Hey,
Does anyone know if international test scores are posted on the same day as the US based LSAT?

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:43 pm

TimeZonesAway wrote:Hey,
Does anyone know if international test scores are posted on the same day as the US based LSAT?

they aren't

AbbeyS

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:45 pm

All this talk actually has me kind of confused as to what a diversity statement is even supposed to do...

So if most diversity statements are about being a different race then what is that supposed to do exactly? If your race is already listed then what purpose does it serve exactly?

I'm confused now lol

TimeZonesAway

Postby TimeZonesAway » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:47 pm

placeholder wrote:
TimeZonesAway wrote:Hey,

they aren't

So we wait for the posted release date of July 7th?

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:48 pm

AbbeyS wrote:All this talk actually has me kind of confused as to what a diversity statement is even supposed to do...

So if most diversity statements are about being a different race then what is that supposed to do exactly? If your race is already listed then what purpose does it serve exactly?

I'm confused now lol

How society treats you is really different if your not white with that you gain a perspective very different from the mainstream... the statement isnt about what makes you different, its how society see you different...

jumbo2016

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:49 pm

cdotson2 wrote:If you absolutely can't write one don't, but I think the point people are trying to make is that you should do anything and everything you can possibly do to make your application standout and get you accepted.

But people are treating it like if you write one it will improve your application so you should, but a reaching, manufactured, or insincere diversity statement could actually set you back.

AbbeyS wrote: All this talk actually has me kind of confused as to what a diversity statement is even supposed to do...

I'm confused now lol

I think it's been acknowledged that diversity can come in many forms besides just race, but it should be something that you already know makes you diverse not something you have to reach for or that has not impacted your life in any significant way

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:50 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:
oldercoldervoice wrote: The diversity statement is there for people who already know.

+100000000

LMFAO

That's a joke if I ever saw one.

I hate to break it to ya'll but everyone is diverse.

I understand you each have your own preconceptions of what diversity is but it's not a black or white issue, and trying to make it one isn't gonna help anyone's application.

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:50 pm

read a couple of the TLS diversity says on my link... i think it makes it really clear what diversity statement is and if you can't figure it out there's analysis of the essays... spark notes if you will

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”