The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread (GREY DEY 7/1)

What now?

See you in a "personal statements" thread
35
26%
Applying this cycle, but done with TLS
6
4%
Retake in October
58
43%
Indefinite retake
10
7%
I'm gonna make a "should I retake?" thread
12
9%
Change of career choice
4
3%
Other
10
7%
 
Total votes: 135

User avatar
Generally
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5011
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
benwyatt
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Post removed.

Postby benwyatt » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Li'l Sebastian
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Seamus887 wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
Seamus887 wrote:You don't think they would be like this guy isn't dedicated to the corporate business sell your soul life so he may not put forth all the effort in law school or even work in law afterwards?


God no. That's what the firms want to hear but absolutly not what will make you a noticeable future "academic" at the schools.
They want a unique diverse student body.
They eat up all that unique special snowflake bullshit like hotcakes.


Word. Looks like I may be able to add a bit of snowflake bullshit to my ps, maybe help over come my meh gpa. Traveled to a good many countries, lived in Australia for 4 years, played music for a living with a few recordings, and an Irish wife I meet on the beach in Sydney? Kinda thought a good p.s would need to be start a non profit or help orphans in Nepal :/


Yeah damn, that sounds like pure gravy mate. Good luck!

User avatar
placeholder
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:10 pm

ruizdaw wrote:
Seamus887 wrote:You don't think they would be like this guy isn't dedicated to the corporate business sell your soul life so he may not put forth all the effort in law school or even work in law afterwards?


God no. That's what the firms want to hear but absolutly not what will make you a noticeable future "academic" at the schools.
They want a unique diverse student body.
They eat up all that unique special snowflake bullshit like hotcakes.

yea i agree. Top law schools don't want to hear you are trying to get some high paying paper pusher. They are looking for those who look like leaders that they can see execute on all career paths. It's kind of a tell by how yale and standford take kids that I think want leadership position that are well connected than some guy who wants to do go to big law. IF you wanted to go corporate business world you should do investment banking.

If anything they want to know how law and humanity are related.

User avatar
jumbo2016
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:11 pm

benwyatt wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
whacka wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:Friends, I have stalked Powerscore Dave Killoran back to the June 2014 LSAT and his tweet signifying the start of LSAT score release was at 9:05 pm EST for June, 5:17 pm EST for October 2014 and around 8pm EST for December 2014 and February 2015. So even if scores do come out tomorrow we could very well be waiting all day


wow, that's when it first turned grey? I'll be at bar trivia at that time tomorrow, I'm gonna be a mess


Yeah for some of them he said specifically that they had started turning grey and for some it was about the scores being released. But it definitely looks like we cannot expect to wake up to find grey or even to find grey during the 9-5 work day (for those of us on the east coast that is)

To be fair, your research only goes back one year. One. I'm not going to accept any generalizations or predictions based on 1 year of data.


But more recent numbers are bound to be better predictors than distant numbers, no?

User avatar
Li'l Sebastian
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:11 pm

I like arguing and money :c

User avatar
AbbeyS
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:17 am

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:12 pm

So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense

User avatar
oldercoldervoice
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:16 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:Friends, I have stalked Powerscore Dave Killoran back to the June 2014 LSAT and his tweet signifying the start of LSAT score release was at 9:05 pm EST for June, 5:17 pm EST for October 2014 and around 8pm EST for December 2014 and February 2015. So even if scores do come out tomorrow we could very well be waiting all day


Truly you are doing the Lord's work

Lillet71
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Lillet71 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 pm

AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


I wrote a diversity statement in addition to my personal statement, it included my upbringing and unusual work experience. I was later told by Adcom that it was quite helpful in the admissions process. Fwiw I'm white.

I was also told that even the slightest error in grammatical structure or spelling or misuse of words will cause an otherwise outstanding applicant to be tossed into the reject pile - so I would have as many people as possible read and reread any written submissions you include with your file - these were both things I learned at ASW at two different schools this past spring - I hope that's helpful! :D

User avatar
Oskosh
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Oskosh » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Maybe they are released tonight at 9 doe. #foodforthought

#GREEN

User avatar
oldercoldervoice
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 pm

AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


What particular experience are you talking about?

As for me, I'm ~*not straight*~ and could conceivably write a diversity statement about that but I'm probably not going to.

User avatar
Oskosh
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Oskosh » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:20 pm

Lillet71 wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


I wrote a diversity statement in addition to my personal statement, it included my upbringing and unusual work experience. I was later told by Adcom that it was quite helpful in the admissions process. Fwiw I'm white.

I was also told that even the slightest error in grammatical structure or spelling or misuse of words will cause an otherwise outstanding applicant to be tossed into the reject pile - so I would have as many people as possible read and reread any written submissions you include with your file - these were both things I learned at ASW at two different schools this past spring - I hope that's helpful! :D

That's not always the case. I made a flagrant grammatical mistake in my PS, because I was too afraid to re-read it several times, and I was still admitted to T6 schools.

User avatar
AbbeyS
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:17 am

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:23 pm

oldercoldervoice wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


What particular experience are you talking about?

As for me, I'm ~*not straight*~ and could conceivably write a diversity statement about that but I'm probably not going to.


I'm not really sure yet. I've been dabbling with a few ideas but I'm not ready to share them yet. I'm just trying to figure out if writing about some unique part of myself and getting very personal might make me come across as too emotional and/or weak. Do you know what I'm saying? Like could certain topics hurt you instead of help? Idk

User avatar
placeholder
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:25 pm

AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


i wouldn't unless its about being religion/belief or you had some disease. If you have one experience that you think makes you unique i'm sorry to say that should just be a personal statement. You have to remember they are gonna read a lot of diversity experiences and if yours comparably seem like "white people" enlightenment they are gonna roll their eyes at you.

I would write out a rough outline and think is this belittling someone's experience who has faced discrimination if i told them "oh i know how you feel bc this happened..." That's what really a diversity statement is how society sees you and how you dealt with it.

Lillet71
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Lillet71 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:26 pm

oldercoldervoice wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


What particular experience are you talking about?

As for me, I'm ~*not straight*~ and could conceivably write a diversity statement about that but I'm probably not going to.


I would rethink your decision not to, especially if you have substantially contributed in some way to that agenda - The guy who recently won the 2014 Thomas Eagleton scholarship was gay and white - it's a very prestigious scholarship in my market – he substantially contributed to the gay agenda during his UG - so if you've made substantial contributions I would definitely include that in a diversity statement.

Lillet71
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Lillet71 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Oskosh wrote:
Lillet71 wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


I wrote a diversity statement in addition to my personal statement, it included my upbringing and unusual work experience. I was later told by Adcom that it was quite helpful in the admissions process. Fwiw I'm white.

I was also told that even the slightest error in grammatical structure or spelling or misuse of words will cause an otherwise outstanding applicant to be tossed into the reject pile - so I would have as many people as possible read and reread any written submissions you include with your file - these were both things I learned at ASW at two different schools this past spring - I hope that's helpful! :D

That's not always the case. I made a flagrant grammatical mistake in my PS, because I was too afraid to re-read it several times, and I was still admitted to T6 schools.


That's awesome! Just trying to pass along what I was told at ASW - are you attending this fall?

User avatar
benwyatt
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Post removed.

Postby benwyatt » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AbbeyS
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:17 am

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:30 pm

placeholder wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


i wouldn't unless its about being religion/belief or you had some disease. If you have one experience that you think makes you unique i'm sorry to say that should just be a personal statement. You have to remember they are gonna read a lot of diversity experiences and if yours comparably seem like "white people" enlightenment they are gonna roll their eyes at you.

I would write out a rough outline and think is this belittling someone's experience who has faced discrimination if i told them "oh i know how you feel bc this happened..." That's what really a diversity statement is how society sees you and how you dealt with it.


It wouldn't be anything about "white people problems" lol...I wasn't planning to take it from a cultural standpoint at all. I figured there were more ways to be diverse aside from just being a different race

User avatar
oldercoldervoice
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Lillet71 wrote:
oldercoldervoice wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


What particular experience are you talking about?

As for me, I'm ~*not straight*~ and could conceivably write a diversity statement about that but I'm probably not going to.


I would rethink your decision not to, especially if you have substantially contributed in some way to that agenda - The guy who recently won the 2014 Thomas Eagleton scholarship was gay and white - it's a very prestigious scholarship in my market – he substantially contributed to the gay agenda during his UG - so if you've made substantial contributions I would definitely include that in a diversity statement.


Yeah that's exactly why I'm not - I haven't really been involved in the community in any substantial way. I just don't have anything worthwhile I could say about it.

User avatar
Oskosh
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Oskosh » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Lillet71 wrote:
Oskosh wrote:
Lillet71 wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


I wrote a diversity statement in addition to my personal statement, it included my upbringing and unusual work experience. I was later told by Adcom that it was quite helpful in the admissions process. Fwiw I'm white.

I was also told that even the slightest error in grammatical structure or spelling or misuse of words will cause an otherwise outstanding applicant to be tossed into the reject pile - so I would have as many people as possible read and reread any written submissions you include with your file - these were both things I learned at ASW at two different schools this past spring - I hope that's helpful! :D

That's not always the case. I made a flagrant grammatical mistake in my PS, because I was too afraid to re-read it several times, and I was still admitted to T6 schools.


That's awesome! Just trying to pass along what I was told at ASW - are you attending this fall?

Nope. I decided to sit out to see if I could crack the T3.

I mean, I do believe that in some cases this does apply. I think it might depend on the severity of the mistake, or how consistently you are making them in the PS.

User avatar
oldercoldervoice
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:37 pm

AbbeyS wrote:It wouldn't be anything about "white people problems" lol...I wasn't planning to take it from a cultural standpoint at all. I figured there were more ways to be diverse aside from just being a different race


Sure. You could conceivably write about being an immigrant, growing up poor, being LGBT+, growing up in a tough/unique family situation, etc. There are lots of valid topics but what's valid will depend on you and your situation. I think what placeholder is trying to caution you against is writing something really tone-deaf like "My trip to Africa" or whatever.
Last edited by oldercoldervoice on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
placeholder
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:37 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


i wouldn't unless its about being religion/belief or you had some disease. If you have one experience that you think makes you unique i'm sorry to say that should just be a personal statement. You have to remember they are gonna read a lot of diversity experiences and if yours comparably seem like "white people" enlightenment they are gonna roll their eyes at you.

I would write out a rough outline and think is this belittling someone's experience who has faced discrimination if i told them "oh i know how you feel bc this happened..." That's what really a diversity statement is how society sees you and how you dealt with it.


It wouldn't be anything about "white people problems" lol...I wasn't planning to take it from a cultural standpoint at all. I figured there were more ways to be diverse aside from just being a different race

I'm trying to be realistic like diversity means you are not of the norm and how to experience the norm will be different. You need express how that changes your relationship to the norm

That's why race/ religion/ sexual orientation/ expate/ disease/ losing of limbs are most power widely and read about diversity issues you see in the paper. B/c your relationship in society has changed.

Having a experience but no one would see you significantly different is like those light hearted soft news stories.

Lillet71
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Lillet71 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:38 pm

Oskosh wrote:
Lillet71 wrote:
Oskosh wrote:
Lillet71 wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


I wrote a diversity statement in addition to my personal statement, it included my upbringing and unusual work experience. I was later told by Adcom that it was quite helpful in the admissions process. Fwiw I'm white.

I was also told that even the slightest error in grammatical structure or spelling or misuse of words will cause an otherwise outstanding applicant to be tossed into the reject pile - so I would have as many people as possible read and reread any written submissions you include with your file - these were both things I learned at ASW at two different schools this past spring - I hope that's helpful! :D

That's not always the case. I made a flagrant grammatical mistake in my PS, because I was too afraid to re-read it several times, and I was still admitted to T6 schools.


That's awesome! Just trying to pass along what I was told at ASW - are you attending this fall?

Nope. I decided to sit out to see if I could crack the T3.

I mean, I do believe that in some cases this does apply. I think it might depend on the severity of the mistake, or how consistently you are making them in the PS.


I tend to agree - that's really amazing about the T3! I hope you killed it on the LSAT :)

User avatar
AbbeyS
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:17 am

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:40 pm

placeholder wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:
placeholder wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:So about the optional diversity statement...who all is writing one that isn't about racial/cultural diversity?

is it possible for a diversity statement to hurt your chances? Let's say if you aren't culturally diverse but have had some experience that you label diverse? Idk if I'm making sense


i wouldn't unless its about being religion/belief or you had some disease. If you have one experience that you think makes you unique i'm sorry to say that should just be a personal statement. You have to remember they are gonna read a lot of diversity experiences and if yours comparably seem like "white people" enlightenment they are gonna roll their eyes at you.

I would write out a rough outline and think is this belittling someone's experience who has faced discrimination if i told them "oh i know how you feel bc this happened..." That's what really a diversity statement is how society sees you and how you dealt with it.


It wouldn't be anything about "white people problems" lol...I wasn't planning to take it from a cultural standpoint at all. I figured there were more ways to be diverse aside from just being a different race

I'm trying to be realistic like diversity means you are not of the norm and how to experience the norm will be different. You need express how that changes your relationship to the norm

That's why race/ religion/ sexual orientation/ expate/ disease/ losing of limbs are most power widely and read about diversity issues you see in the paper. B/c your relationship in society has changed.

Having a experience but no one would see you significantly different is like those light hearted soft news stories.


Yeah I see what you're saying. Just the experience I was talking about is a physical thing. I was just brainstorming anyway. I probably won't end up writing one




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests