The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread (GREY DEY 7/1)

What now?

See you in a "personal statements" thread
35
26%
Applying this cycle, but done with TLS
6
4%
Retake in October
58
43%
Indefinite retake
10
7%
I'm gonna make a "should I retake?" thread
12
9%
Change of career choice
4
3%
Other
10
7%
 
Total votes: 135

User avatar
whacka
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby whacka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yellowyak46
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby yellowyak46 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:23 pm

ruizdaw wrote:Sept 1st?

Oct 1st?

Is it different for each school?

I think most are around september 1st, but I could be wrong.

User avatar
whacka
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby whacka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jumbo2016
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:31 pm

whacka wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:Just finished the rough draft of my personal statement! My policy for writing is to get it out on the page even if it's really awful and then edit it about 500 times

I made a list of everything I want to talk about i.e. anything I think might give me a boost.

I've thus far managed to procrastinate writing it but I just know I won't be able to not do it once I get my score. And I think we've still got plenty of time left ahead of us.

When do applications open up for the first time and is anybody else planning on hitting the send button at 12:01am the day of?


Depends on my score, but if it's on target, yeah I'll be doing that. Ideally I'd like to be in at a few schools before Thanksgiving


If I don't have to retake, my goal is to get my applications in before my birthday, which is a week before halloween

User avatar
Li'l Sebastian
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:34 pm

At the top schools there is an insane correlation between acceptance rate and time the application was sent in.

User avatar
Generally
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
whacka
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby whacka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cdotson2
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby cdotson2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Seamus887 wrote:Do y'all think me living in Australia for four years to study music and make a living playing music is ps worthy? I don't want them to think I am just some backpacking bum who spent four years surfing in oz and singing on the streets for income, but thats kinda what I did....

to me it sounds like it could make a great statement, and distinguish you from other applicants, but I am a 0L with no real knowledge of admissions so take that with a grain of salt.

User avatar
WiscRu2
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby WiscRu2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:38 pm

TLS Friends - first time writer, long time lurker. I've enjoyed this thread in its entirety and it has certainly helped maintain a healthy neuroticism level. Favorite parts of the thread thus far include Mate vs. Coffee discussion, SCOTUS Raisins ruling and best of all, Seamus vs. Ash showdown #TeamAsh.

I've read the hate on Kaplan in here - I tend to agree that, for those scoring in 160s+, it's not worth your time. My experience with Kaplan has been pretty rudimentary, lacking the concrete, in-depth work that's needed to move the needle once you have a true grasp of the test and its questions. With that said, if I decide to retake in October, I'm not sure what to go with. While I appreciate the whole "inherent ability" argument that was put forth, I don't necessarily fall into that camp and require some true digestion/comprehension of the material to understand it. Kaplan does offer the Higher Score Guarantee, so I could just retake the class for free, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Have any of you guys used any other test prep courses/materials that you would recommend?

Also, I've got my transcripts in and LORs on their way - just left to work on the PS. Anyone in here interested in possibly swapping ideas/drafts? I have a major case of writer's block on that front.

User avatar
whacka
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby whacka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Li'l Sebastian
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Seamus887 wrote:Do y'all think me living in Australia for four years to study music and make a living playing music is ps worthy? I don't want them to think I am just some backpacking bum who spent four years surfing in oz and singing on the streets for income, but thats kinda what I did....


If you don't write about that you'd be making a huge mistake.

User avatar
Generally
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Li'l Sebastian
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:46 pm

#SeanmusGate

User avatar
jumbo2016
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Friends, I have stalked Powerscore Dave Killoran back to the June 2014 LSAT and his tweet signifying the start of LSAT score release was at 9:05 pm EST for June, 5:17 pm EST for October 2014 and around 8pm EST for December 2014 and February 2015. So even if scores do come out tomorrow we could very well be waiting all day

User avatar
Generally
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
whacka
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby whacka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
placeholder
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:Friends, I have stalked Powerscore Dave Killoran back to the June 2014 LSAT and his tweet signifying the start of LSAT score release was at 9:05 pm EST for June, 5:17 pm EST for October 2014 and around 8pm EST for December 2014 and February 2015. So even if scores do come out tomorrow we could very well be waiting all day

So LSACS final stare down is hours long and it might be a punch in the gut or a pat on the back.

Lillet71
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Lillet71 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 pm

WiscRu2 wrote:TLS Friends - first time writer, long time lurker. I've enjoyed this thread in its entirety and it has certainly helped maintain a healthy neuroticism level. Favorite parts of the thread thus far include Mate vs. Coffee discussion, SCOTUS Raisins ruling and best of all, Seamus vs. Ash showdown #TeamAsh.

I've read the hate on Kaplan in here - I tend to agree that, for those scoring in 160s+, it's not worth your time. My experience with Kaplan has been pretty rudimentary, lacking the concrete, in-depth work that's needed to move the needle once you have a true grasp of the test and its questions. With that said, if I decide to retake in October, I'm not sure what to go with. While I appreciate the whole "inherent ability" argument that was put forth, I don't necessarily fall into that camp and require some true digestion/comprehension of the material to understand it. Kaplan does offer the Higher Score Guarantee, so I could just retake the class for free, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Have any of you guys used any other test prep courses/materials that you would recommend?

Also, I've got my transcripts in and LORs on their way - just left to work on the PS. Anyone in here interested in possibly swapping ideas/drafts? I have a major case of writer's block on that front.


Fwiw - I am attending law school this fall at my top choice on a substantial scholarship (waiting on June score to see if I can bump it to a 100% scholly)

I self studied and highly recommend all the Powerscore workbooks and bibles, in addition to 7Sage materials and obsessive use of 7Sage blind review - once I heartily embraced blind review without giving myself "luck" points on PT's I increased my average by 10+ points pretty quickly.

That being said, I had a very solid working knowledge of the LSAT before starting the blind review method, and had already sat for the Sept 14 and Feb 15 exams - the blind review will help you quickly isolate weak spots and not let you cheat in terms of giving yourself points when it was actually a lucky guess between the two obvious answers that could be correct - I hope that makes sense?!

User avatar
WiscRu2
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby WiscRu2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Seamus887 wrote:
whacka wrote:
WiscRu2 wrote:and best of all, Seamus vs. Ash showdown #TeamAsh.


bold way to start off


is the Ash lurker even here anymore? These lurkers have no respect these days.


She has retreated to the depths of lurker status. I wasn't actually #TeamAsh, though did enjoy the banter. Gotta rep the elder council shitpoasters.

User avatar
jumbo2016
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:52 pm

whacka wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:Friends, I have stalked Powerscore Dave Killoran back to the June 2014 LSAT and his tweet signifying the start of LSAT score release was at 9:05 pm EST for June, 5:17 pm EST for October 2014 and around 8pm EST for December 2014 and February 2015. So even if scores do come out tomorrow we could very well be waiting all day


wow, that's when it first turned grey? I'll be at bar trivia at that time tomorrow, I'm gonna be a mess


Yeah for some of them he said specifically that they had started turning grey and for some it was about the scores being released. But it definitely looks like we cannot expect to wake up to find grey or even to find grey during the 9-5 work day (for those of us on the east coast that is)

User avatar
AbbeyS
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:17 am

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Seamus887 wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
Seamus887 wrote:Do y'all think me living in Australia for four years to study music and make a living playing music is ps worthy? I don't want them to think I am just some backpacking bum who spent four years surfing in oz and singing on the streets for income, but thats kinda what I did....


If you don't write about that you'd be making a huge mistake.


You don't think they would be like this guy isn't dedicated to the corporate business sell your soul life so he may not put forth all the effort in law school or even work in law afterwards?


This may be helpful or may not be, so take it as you wish...but my dad is a lawyer. I know the admissions process is much different now than it was back then but nonetheless he had to write a personal statement. He wrote his about how he spent his entire life working on a farm (and some meaningful conclusion I'm assuming) and was accepted to all the schools he applied to.

I think schools are interested in hearing your story, especially if that story is unconventional. How many other people can say they did what you did? Not many. It'll set you apart, in my opinion. Find a way to show some enlightenment or transformation from your journey & I think it'll be a really good story to tell. *steps off soapbox*

Lillet71
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Lillet71 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:55 pm

AbbeyS wrote:
Seamus887 wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
Seamus887 wrote:Do y'all think me living in Australia for four years to study music and make a living playing music is ps worthy? I don't want them to think I am just some backpacking bum who spent four years surfing in oz and singing on the streets for income, but thats kinda what I did....


If you don't write about that you'd be making a huge mistake.


You don't think they would be like this guy isn't dedicated to the corporate business sell your soul life so he may not put forth all the effort in law school or even work in law afterwards?


This may be helpful or may not be, so take it as you wish...but my dad is a lawyer. I know the admissions process is much different now than it was back then but nonetheless he had to write a personal statement. He wrote his about how he spent his entire life working on a farm (and some meaningful conclusion I'm assuming) and was accepted to all the schools he applied to.

I think schools are interested in hearing your story, especially if that story is unconventional. How many other people can say they did what you did? Not many. It'll set you apart, in my opinion. Find a way to show some enlightenment or transformation from your journey & I think it'll be a really good story to tell. *steps off soapbox*


+1

User avatar
Li'l Sebastian
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Seamus887 wrote:You don't think they would be like this guy isn't dedicated to the corporate business sell your soul life so he may not put forth all the effort in law school or even work in law afterwards?


God no. That's what the firms want to hear but absolutly not what will make you a noticeable future "academic" at the schools.
They want a unique diverse student body.
They eat up all that unique special snowflake bullshit like hotcakes.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch
Posts: 5006
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Post removed...

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
cdotson2
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby cdotson2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:06 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:Friends, I have stalked Powerscore Dave Killoran back to the June 2014 LSAT and his tweet signifying the start of LSAT score release was at 9:05 pm EST for June, 5:17 pm EST for October 2014 and around 8pm EST for December 2014 and February 2015. So even if scores do come out tomorrow we could very well be waiting all day

I thought some people earlier ITT who were retakers said they got their scores in the morning?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, beancounter15, Blueprint Mithun, cherrygalore, xn3345 and 12 guests