The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread (GREY DEY 7/1)

What now?

See you in a "personal statements" thread
26%
Applying this cycle, but done with TLS
4%
Retake in October
43%
Indefinite retake
7%
I'm gonna make a "should I retake?" thread
9%
Change of career choice
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 135

EnderWiggin

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:54 pm

question#4reddituser wrote:
VERY serious question: what is your definition of colorblind society?

a mythical world that disingenuously avoids learning about and celebrating difference and instead tries to pretend it doesn't exist. Colorblindness denies and further marginalizes the cultural expectations and life experiences of poc.

aka "I'm not racist, I'm colorblind!"

question#4reddituser

Postby question#4reddituser » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:11 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:
question#4reddituser wrote:
VERY serious question: what is your definition of colorblind society?

a mythical world that disingenuously avoids learning about and celebrating difference and instead tries to pretend it doesn't exist. Colorblindness denies and further marginalizes the cultural expectations and life experiences of poc.

aka "I'm not racist, I'm colorblind!"

let me unpack ur defintion: disingenuously avoid would mean not sincere in avoiding, so i am not avoiding learning. so i am learning?

let me just try to state what i'm trying to say. It would be hard for government agency to qualify people as trans-racial because of the inherent idea you need to assign qualities to racial groups which can be seen as generalizations of people.

like switching religious is going through a ritual. changing your gender you start to adopt physical qualities. switching race is tricky. because even if you like all those things and identify and respect those qualities to a group why can't you be a white person who like african american culture? like white people who dress in African american attire don't identify as black.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Posting from mexico

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:26 pm

some of your posts sound like you are (poorly) trying to recreate language you've read in LR questions. "which results into the absurd"; doing some unclear, weird negation acrobatics involving ~sincerely avoiding learning -> learning. If you disagree, just say that.

A lot of people (myself included) would take issue with an attempt to conflate the experience of trans persons with this notion of "trans-racial." Not saying that you are insincere in making it, but I do think the comparison to the concept of "switching race" is terribly misguided.

ETA: For your own sake, I'm also trying to refrain from directly quoting you re: this topic. Apologies if this is confusing to others following along.
Last edited by EnderWiggin on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whacka

Postby whacka » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Last edited by whacka on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:31 pm

whacka: preferred pronoun is He. Buckiguy gender-profiled pretty quickly based off the username earlier ITT; I didn't fight it.

question#4reddituser

Postby question#4reddituser » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:37 pm

honestly i just didn't understand that's why i asked. I think people are different and that's good.

it is absurd what you said about not being slightly racist. I said you would need to distinguish people with qualities. you said to distinguish also but internally.... so you admit you need to assign qualities.

i'm trying to argue a narrow idea how would government handle this if you could legally change it.. your talking about can people even become trans-racial...

i use those examples as a means how the government could identify you as a new jewish person....

Generally

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:55 pm

I don't believe that an application that allows a person to identify with a specific race/ethnic group is thereby assigning inherent qualities to that person. Rather, I believe that if the applicant chooses to identify in this way, the application merely provides a means by which he/she can do so.

You allude to legally changing your race. I would caution against investing too heavily in the current groups that the US Census Bureau provides as options for identification. The history of racial taxonomy in this country and around the world is a fascinating subject for anyone interested in these questions. Race as a social construct endures; our categories for reporting change. I.e. We no longer report that people belong to racial categories like mulattos or octaroons.

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Seamus887 wrote:This argument is so much easier to make when you don't accept race as a social construct, but I suppose that makes you Hitler these days. Hell we don't even accept gender has a biological basis these days.

Godwin's? already? damn.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

whacka

Postby whacka » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Last edited by whacka on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

question#4reddituser

Postby question#4reddituser » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:58 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:I don't believe that an application that allows a person to identify with a specific race/ethnic group is thereby assigning inherent qualities to that person. Rather, I believe that if the applicant chooses to identify in this way, the application merely provides a means by which he/she can do so.
s.

what is your application that allows them to identify the race they choose? I'm asking what is the mechanism that says the government can see you as black. not that the mechanism will confer all those qualities onto you. Like if its a questionnaire what kind of questions would you put?

let me try to make it more clear what im trying to say: I'm a white 17 year old applying for college. I decide to check i'm black in the applications box. is this okay?
Last edited by question#4reddituser on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

basedvulpes

Post removed.

Postby basedvulpes » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:06 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:I will gender profile all of you! I fear nothing! Get at me tumblr!

But also feel free to correct me if I have mislabeled you

Also I feel like it's a hard fast rule that all reddit users are male neck-beards

Though that's dichotomous with my other rule that all reddit users hate fat people

And I'm a reddit user so now I don't know what to do

just outed yourself as a male fat person with a neck-beard ~obviously~

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:10 pm

question#4reddituser wrote:what is your application that allows them to identify the race they choose?

let me try to make it more clear what im trying to say: I'm a white 17 year old applying for college. I decide to check i'm black in the applications box. is this okay?

breaking my quoting abstention here because just don't see any way around it.

What application? In this context I assumed we were talking about law school applications since that was the hypo posed a while back by ted cruz (also just now realizing how perfectly commensurate his tar is with his ability to start a dumpster fire and then offer no solutions)

To your hypo (boy these are fun): You're a white 17 year old applying for college and self-report as black? No, I would say that's not okay.

ETA: Because the idea that blackness is something that can be turned on when it's advantageous to you (possible admissions boost) and then turned off when it's not is a pretty ringing confirmation of the extent of white supremacy.

question#4reddituser

Postby question#4reddituser » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:
question#4reddituser wrote:what is your application that allows them to identify the race they choose?

breaking my quoting abstention here because just don't see any way around it.

What application? In this context I assumed we were talking about law school applications since that was the hypo posed a while back by ted cruz (also just now realizing how perfectly commensurate his tar is with his ability to start a dumpster fire and then offer no solutions)

To your hypo (boy these are fun): You're a white 17 year old applying for college and self-identify as black? No, I would say that's not okay.

i thought when u meant application you meant a mechanism that says i am this race. My hypo should be a little better: can a white 17 year old who believes he's trans-black identify as black on his application to college? does he need any other paperwork or way to prove he can put this?

That's what im trying to say when i meant government identifies you as black you can gain benefit such as affirmative action. if there is no barrier or test then people could take advantage... If there was a test how would the test identify you as black... those questions could be construed as generalization about black people hence slightly racist.

Whnlifegvsulmns

Postby Whnlifegvsulmns » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:25 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:whacka: preferred pronoun is He. Buckiguy gender-profiled pretty quickly based off the username earlier ITT; I didn't fight it.

Hasn't anybody told you? There are no girls on the internet (maybe apart from the hot singles in your area looking to meet you).

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Whnlifegvsulmns wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:whacka: preferred pronoun is He. Buckiguy gender-profiled pretty quickly based off the username earlier ITT; I didn't fight it.

Hasn't anybody told you? There are no girls on the internet (maybe apart from the hot singles in your area looking to meet you).

Yes, how could I forget? Though I do seem to remember someone ITT suggesting a liz lemon avi..

dizzying

Postby dizzying » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:12 pm

there are girls on the internet. we just lurk.

oldercoldervoice

Postby oldercoldervoice » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:15 pm

dizzying wrote:there are girls on the internet. we just lurk.

Can confirm

tedofsandimas

Postby tedofsandimas » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:30 pm

oldercoldervoice wrote:
dizzying wrote:there are girls on the internet. we just lurk.

Can confirm

And sometimes have usernames that might be misleading

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Post removed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”