The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread (GREY DEY 7/1) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What now?

See you in a "personal statements" thread
26%
Applying this cycle, but done with TLS
4%
Retake in October
43%
Indefinite retake
7%
I'm gonna make a "should I retake?" thread
9%
Change of career choice
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 135

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Generally

Gold

Post removed.

Post by Generally » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Re: The Official June 2015 Waiter's Thread

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm

WiscRu2 wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:If there is absolutly anything about you that could in any conceivable universe could qualify as a diversity statement that makes sense, you should write a damn diversity statement.

If you can write a diversity statement write a diversity statement.
If you have something utterly unique that defines you, your experiences, your upbringing, etc. is there any particular reason to make that a diversity statement and not just be your PS?
Yes. Absolutly. You get to say more about yourself because you get more words that they'll read because of it and it adds a new dimension not just an add on. And it can almost never hurt you.
It's almost like a second personal statement saying what kinda outlook you'll be bringing.

You should write a DStatement because it's almost the equivalent of adding free LSAT points to your acceptance rate.

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Personally I would be more drawn to a PS that actually gives you a glimpse into someone's life...like something that you might not otherwise know unless you really studied that person. What makes you, YOU and why that you is a worthy candidate. That's what I'm aiming for in mine at least...

That essay was creative & different & I admire that.. but def pretentious. Also, aside from that comment about the Yankees, there was nothing else personal about it. Could've been written about anyone cause it didn't really have facts to support why those qualities are true. But that's just my opinion

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:39 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:If there is absolutly anything about you that could in any conceivable universe could qualify as a diversity statement that makes sense, you should write a damn diversity statement.

I don't think this is true if you write a diversity statement about something they don't care about it could be a negative idk
Edit it until it reads as something they do or should care about.

The mistake will never be that they chose to write one in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:42 pm

I have an idea for a diversity statement and need advice but I'm afraid to ask on here to be honest haha I might just clear it with my dad first cause TLS can be a wee bit judgey lol

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:43 pm

ruizdaw wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I don't think this is true if you write a diversity statement about something they don't care about it could be a negative idk

I don't know. I've read that if a diversity statement feels like a stretch, you shouldn't write one. As an upper class, white, female political science major who has encountered no serious difficulties in my life,a diversity statement seems almost dishonest to write.

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:45 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I don't know. I've read that if a diversity statement feels like a stretch, you shouldn't write one. As an upper class, white, female political science major who has encountered no serious difficulties in my life,a diversity statement seems almost dishonest to write.
Mexican-American with immigrant parents, English as a second language, low income, product of underperforming schools, first professional in family.

Definitely writing a diversity statement lol

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:48 pm

benwyatt wrote:I grew up super poor in a really messed up household and I guess that sort of qualified for a diversity statement but it's also part of what I planned to cover in my PS so I don't know if I should write a diversity statement as well.
I think that would be a powerful personal statement. You could write a really strong "the rose that grew from concrete" type statement. Diversity you could build off that idea...not sure what your parents/guardians did for work but if you're the first to do higher education/professional school, that could be good I think

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:01 pm

I believe everyone has the capability to write one.

If you want to increase your odds of reaching your dreams, you're not getting any points for not writLing a diversity statement because you don't think you can get it to work.

At least try to make it work for god's sake. Your personal statement won't work until you e edited 20 times and changed it completely at least twice.

Ya'll are trying to become lawyers. Make an argument for your diversity.

nv93

Bronze

Post by nv93 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:05 pm

I already depressed about thinking about the score. I am extremely worried too, but I felt the same about my highest PT, but I don't think it means I'll do well. Don't want to see my score and I feel like I am going to cry badly when I see it :/.

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:06 pm

benwyatt wrote:I grew up super poor in a really messed up household and I guess that sort of qualified for a diversity statement but it's also part of what I planned to cover in my PS so I don't know if I should write a diversity statement as well.

You should write a diversity statement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm gonna be harping on this so much I might as well just change my username to "diversity statement"

whacka

Gold

Post removed.

Post by whacka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by whacka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:12 pm

whacka wrote:
ruizdaw wrote:I believe everyone has the capability to write one.

If you want to increase your odds of reaching your dreams, you're not getting any points for not writLing a diversity statement because you don't think you can get it to work.

At least try to make it work for god's sake. Your personal statement won't work until you e edited 20 times and changed it completely at least twice.

Ya'll are trying to become lawyers. Make an argument for your diversity.
As a straight white upper class cismale who has never been rejected from anything (that didn't involve relationships :wink: ) I really don't think this is going to work
You'd be wrong!

There's no way you're JUST that. You need to take a step back and get a better look at who you are.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Lurker here, I'm another white female middle class PoliSci major, and would also feel pretty weird writing a diversity statement. Does being an atheist in the South qualify? ( We're pretty frowned upon, but IDK how "diverse" that is in other areas of the country).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:15 pm

You're a reverse splitter though so I'm not willing to rule out that your veins aren't made of metal tubing constantly circulating sulfuric acid

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Scalvert wrote:Lurker here, I'm another white female middle class PoliSci major, and would also feel pretty weird writing a diversity statement. Does being an atheist in the South qualify? ( We're pretty frowned upon, but IDK how "diverse" that is in other areas of the country).
Haha literally the only thing I can think of for me is growing up as an atheist in a really conservative part of upstate NY but that really isn't essay material. I can't think of anytime it actually impacted me beyond just feeling kind of weird when my friends couldn't hang out Cus they all had youth group or REACH

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Scalvert wrote:Lurker here, I'm another white female middle class PoliSci major, and would also feel pretty weird writing a diversity statement. Does being an atheist in the South qualify? ( We're pretty frowned upon, but IDK how "diverse" that is in other areas of the country).

HELL YES!!!
That is most certainly something that's uncommon in the U.S. not just the south but especially in the south that sounds like it could be sweet.

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:21 pm

When I start thinking hard about what an amazing essay would be, I start beating myself up like why didn't you start an organization about this or something lol like I have no impact :cry: my words have less meaning because I didn't do anything about it..uggghhh is it too late to start some type of charitable foundation haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yellowyak46

New

Post by yellowyak46 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:22 pm

How do people feel about geographic/neighborhood diversity? I'm a middle class white cismale, but I'm from the Southwest and grew up in a farm town outside of a city. Being the Southwest, my hometown has lots of Spanish speakers, native americans, and cultural diversity. Though I myself am not hispanic, Mexican, or Native American, having much more exposure and contact with those groups of people and their respective cultures gave me a different perspective than that of many of my college friends-- upper/upper middle class people from New England/mid-atlantic. Thoughts?

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:22 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:.

Haha literally the only thing I can think of for me is growing up as an atheist in a really conservative part of upstate NY but that really isn't essay material. I can't think of anytime it actually impacted me beyond just feeling kind of weird when my friends couldn't hang out Cus they all had youth group or REACH

You won't know until you start brainstorming and writing it out.

oldercoldervoice

Bronze

Post by oldercoldervoice » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Me reading this thread rn:

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:29 pm

I don't think I'm going to write a diversity statement cause everyone's ideas seem to be along the lines of different race/culture, poverty, etc. I always thought there were more ways to be diverse but if that's what the adcoms are expecting then I shouldn't do one

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”