Last minute advice: how to approach the test mentally? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
h3jk5h

New

Last minute advice: how to approach the test mentally?

Post by h3jk5h » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:05 pm

This is going to be a last minute-question:

What should be my mental state as I turn to the first page of the LSAT this coming Monday? Should I be as calm as I can or should I get my adrenaline pumping and be super intense?

If my mental state is leaning towards calmness, then I'm afraid I will lose mental focus and be too passive when attacking the questions. If I get myself tensed up, my focus would be 100%, and isn't this what we should aim for? 100% focus? But there's the possibility that I would push the panic button when something goes wrong such that my adrenaline turns into fear and everything goes horribly.

This question is for all LSAT instructors and all college-level students who had experience doing standardized tests (which applies to the vast majority of you): What's the best mental state for critical thinking and problem-solving? Is emotion an overall a hindrance to test-taking?

downbeat14

Silver

Re: Last minute advice: how to approach the test mentally?

Post by downbeat14 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

h3jk5h

New

Post by h3jk5h » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:13 pm

downbeat14 wrote:I think you'll prob get as many varied answers here as you will number of people responding--it's just really individual.

For me, it was important to use what worked for me in PTs--sharp, engaged focus, but not heart-pounding freak out mode; lots of intensity and forward momentum, but still working with care and caution.

Only you can know what the ideal mental place is for you. How did it feel when you crushed your best PT?

I was in "I don't give a fuck mode".

ChillTomG

New

Post by ChillTomG » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:24 am

The best advice that I can given based on a plethora of experience taking standardized testing is to constantly reaffirm the (probably false!) notion that I am the smartest person taking the LSAT in the room, and therefore, there is no reason that I should not perform up to xxx standard.

A level of confidence that may border on arrogance when approaching an otherwise anxiety provoking academic exercise has always served me well.

I am always able to return to self-loathing after the exam. :D

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:57 pm

The more you can treat it like a fun challenge, the better.

When I took it, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to law school. But I like mental puzzles. So I had enough engagement to be curious and to care, but I wasn't nervous about doing poorly.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:59 am

Chinese high school graduates are taking college entrance examination (gaokao) these two or three days. Think about them.

At least you have a much shorter test (in terms of duration), more retakes, and can cancel AFTER you take it.

And above all, law school is by no means the only way out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”